Nvidia vs ATI IQ comparison - MUST READ

@trapine

Gawd
Joined
Mar 2, 2003
Messages
775
From: HannersEB 4:01 am
To: ExtremeTech-Editor (EXTREMETECH_) unread (3 of 4)
56406.3 in reply to 56406.1

A couple of errors in the article that I've spotted thus far:
1. You used coloured mipmaps at one point to talk about a comparison in ATI and NVIDIAs anisotropic filtering. It should be pointed out that the X800 always performs full trilinear when coloured mipmaps are used, so therefore this technique is not a valid 'real-world' comparison.

2. You used ForceWare 61.11 for your comparisons, and supposedly tested and showed images of the GeForce 6800 with trilinear optimisations both enabled and disabled. However, the Trilinear Optimisations option in this driver set is in fact broken, so in fact all of your 6800 shots are using 'brilinear' filtering. This explains the fact that the NVIDIA shots look identical with trilinear optimisations both enabled and disabled.

This quote by Hanners Spells out why this Review is moot?
 
F

fallguy

Guest
Did you look at the date of the "review" before posting? Ever think it would be a repost?
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
fallguy said:
Did you look at the date of the "review" before posting? Ever think it would be a repost?

You're probably right, alot can happen in a whole 3 days.
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
@trapine said:
This quote by Hanners Spells out why this Review is moot?

56406.5 in reply to 56406.3

Thanks for the updates, Hanners. Yes, it would appear that the 61.11 driver has the "trilinear optimizations" feature broken, and it is always enabled. This is the latest driver we have recieved directly from NVIDIA, though, so it's what we went with. :(

As for the colored mipmap thing on the X800 - you're right, and I thought I added a comment about that in the article text but apparently not. The colored mipmaps are still valid for comparing the overall sampling pattern and LOD levels - the transitions between those levels will not be identical to an in-game situation, though. Of course, there are plenty of shots comparing in-game graphics as well, which should be the primary basis for comparison.
 

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
8,936
not using colored mip maps and ATI:s better than nVidias trilinear???
 

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
4,860
oqvist said:
not using colored mip maps and ATI:s better than nVidias trilinear???
In that one screenshot yes. Now page through the rest of the screenshots.
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
Well i guess i wasted my time posting here, but when i am trying to figure out which card i am going to get that one screenshot might make the diffrence. I would also like to note that they used ati's trilinear optomisations through the whole review, so saying that nvidia's were never disabled doesn't hold as much water. later [H]
 

Blackwind

Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2001
Messages
808
Bigjohns97 said:
Well i guess i wasted my time posting here, but when i am trying to figure out which card i am going to get that one screenshot might make the diffrence. I would also like to note that they used ati's trilinear optomisations through the whole review, so saying that nvidia's were never disabled doesn't hold as much water. later [H]

One man's bucket is another man's sieve. :D
 

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
3,844
oqvist said:
not using colored mip maps and ATI:s better than nVidias trilinear???

No, that shot shows that in that scenario ATI's Brilinear is better than Nvidia's Brilinear. That review does not have any shots using Trilinear because it was conducted using the driverset 61.11 where that feature is broken. Full trilinear is available in the earlier driverset 60.72 or later driverset 61.32.
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
ati's full trilinear can't be enabled at all in any driver yet, so what's your point?
 

Brent_Justice

Moderator
Joined
Apr 17, 2000
Messages
17,755
tranCendenZ said:
No, that shot shows that in that scenario ATI's Brilinear is better than Nvidia's Brilinear. That review does not have any shots using Trilinear because it was conducted using the driverset 61.11 where that feature is broken. Full trilinear is available in the earlier driverset 60.72 or later driverset 61.32.

both cards are doing Trilinear Filtering by default, Period end of story
 
Top