Nvidia vs ATI IQ comparison - MUST READ

To: ExtremeTech-Editor (EXTREMETECH_) unread (3 of 4)
56406.3 in reply to 56406.1

A couple of errors in the article that I've spotted thus far:
1. You used coloured mipmaps at one point to talk about a comparison in ATI and NVIDIAs anisotropic filtering. It should be pointed out that the X800 always performs full trilinear when coloured mipmaps are used, so therefore this technique is not a valid 'real-world' comparison.

2. You used ForceWare 61.11 for your comparisons, and supposedly tested and showed images of the GeForce 6800 with trilinear optimisations both enabled and disabled. However, the Trilinear Optimisations option in this driver set is in fact broken, so in fact all of your 6800 shots are using 'brilinear' filtering. This explains the fact that the NVIDIA shots look identical with trilinear optimisations both enabled and disabled.

This quote by Hanners Spells out why this Review is moot?

Did you look at the date of the "review" before posting? Ever think it would be a repost?

fallguy said:
Did you look at the date of the "review" before posting? Ever think it would be a repost?

You're probably right, alot can happen in a whole 3 days.

@trapine said:
This quote by Hanners Spells out why this Review is moot?

56406.5 in reply to 56406.3

Thanks for the updates, Hanners. Yes, it would appear that the 61.11 driver has the "trilinear optimizations" feature broken, and it is always enabled. This is the latest driver we have recieved directly from NVIDIA, though, so it's what we went with. :(

As for the colored mipmap thing on the X800 - you're right, and I thought I added a comment about that in the article text but apparently not. The colored mipmaps are still valid for comparing the overall sampling pattern and LOD levels - the transitions between those levels will not be identical to an in-game situation, though. Of course, there are plenty of shots comparing in-game graphics as well, which should be the primary basis for comparison.

not using colored mip maps and ATI:s better than nVidias trilinear???

oqvist said:
In that one screenshot yes. Now page through the rest of the screenshots.

Well i guess i wasted my time posting here, but when i am trying to figure out which card i am going to get that one screenshot might make the diffrence. I would also like to note that they used ati's trilinear optomisations through the whole review, so saying that nvidia's were never disabled doesn't hold as much water. later [H]

Bigjohns97 said:
Well i guess i wasted my time posting here, but when i am trying to figure out which card i am going to get that one screenshot might make the diffrence. I would also like to note that they used ati's trilinear optomisations through the whole review, so saying that nvidia's were never disabled doesn't hold as much water. later [H]

One man's bucket is another man's sieve. :D

oqvist said:

No, that shot shows that in that scenario ATI's Brilinear is better than Nvidia's Brilinear. That review does not have any shots using Trilinear because it was conducted using the driverset 61.11 where that feature is broken. Full trilinear is available in the earlier driverset 60.72 or later driverset 61.32.

ati's full trilinear can't be enabled at all in any driver yet, so what's your point?

tranCendenZ said:
No, that shot shows that in that scenario ATI's Brilinear is better than Nvidia's Brilinear. That review does not have any shots using Trilinear because it was conducted using the driverset 61.11 where that feature is broken. Full trilinear is available in the earlier driverset 60.72 or later driverset 61.32.

both cards are doing Trilinear Filtering by default, Period end of story

Back