NVIDIA using intimidation tactics against Oxide

DeadSkull

Supreme [H]ardness
Nvidia's PR team even went to far as to say that they did not consider the benchmark as a proper representation if DirectX 12 performance, saying that the benchmark had many issues, particularly with MSAA. Now and Oxide developer claims that Nvidia was placing a lot of pressure on the developer to disable certain settings within the benchmark in order to give Nvidia better performance, which would likely come at AMD's disadvantage. It is also claimed that Nvidia wanted to disable DirectX 12 asynchronous compute on Nvidia components, despite the fact that their own drivers claim that their GPUs support it.
This is why I am so happy with my recent R9 290x Lightning purchase. Real performance, no gimmicks and I am not supporting a corporation with very questionable business practices ( 970 3.5 Gb, drivers melting graphics cards and bump gate ).

And before I start seeing people comment about how they buy cards with best performance per dollar... That's like shopping at Walmart and not caring about all the unethical practices going on in the back.

Last edited:
The FUD is real. Thank god AMD is keeping NVIDIA on their toes though, now I know my next NVIDIA puchase will kill AMD just like Maxwell did.

This is why I am so happy with my recent R9 290x Lightning purchase. Real performance, no gimmicks and I am not supporting a shitty corporation.

And before I start seeing people comment about how they buy cards with best performance per dollar... That's like shopping at Walmart and not caring about all the unethical practices going on in the back.

No, you bought a 290x because you are poor and on a budget (looking at rest of hardware in sig confirms it)

I will never buy a AMD again after conning me into buying a Fury saying it is a overclockers dream and showing slides of it over a 980TI. Turns out it is one of the worst overclockers ever and nowhere close to performance of a 980TI. Was very lucky I was able to return it without a restocking fee.

If DX12 is truly a low-level API then you will have to write different code paths for each architecture that you want to optimize for.

If it's Kepler, run this code.
If it's Maxwell, run this code.
If it's GCN 1.1, run this code.
If it's GCN 1.2, run this instead.

This is all very basic stuff here.

you are poor and on a budget

How the fuck do you know what his circumstances are? I may not agree with him and he may or may not be on a budget, but at least he got a decent card.

Stop being a dickhead. Next time, read some fucking reviews before buying an expensive card. Stop being butthurt by buying a Fury, you weren't duped or tricked by anyone - there was plenty of information out there for you to make an informed decision.

How the fuck do you know what his circumstances are? I may not agree with him and he may or may not be on a budget, but at least he got a decent card.

Stop being a dickhead. Next time, read some fucking reviews before buying an expensive card. Stop being butthurt by buying a Fury, you weren't duped or tricked by anyone - there was plenty of information out there for you to make an informed decision.

He's just remaining in character, I've never seen a dick make an informed decision.

No, you bought a 290x because you are poor and on a budget (looking at rest of hardware in sig confirms it)

I will never buy a AMD again after conning me into buying a Fury saying it is a overclockers dream and showing slides of it over a 980TI. Turns out it is one of the worst overclockers ever and nowhere close to performance of a 980TI. Was very lucky I was able to return it without a restocking fee.

Hey its you again, you never bought a Fury since you already owned the 980 TI and threw a waterblock on it. I already called you on your BS here:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041761866&postcount=52

But hey at least you can call people poor, thats good of you.

Actually, no there was not. I was duped by AMD, I made a informed decision based on what they said, they lied. End of story.

Hey its you again, you never bought a Fury since you already owned the 980 TI and threw a waterblock on it. I already called you on your BS here:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041761866&postcount=52

But hey at least you can call people poor, thats good of you.

Except I have two machines. One with a 980ti that was fully watercooled and another that had a 290x (That machine got the Fury X and now has a 980ti as well)

Both my Watercooled and Aircooled 980ti's hit 1500 pretty easy.

Last edited:
This is why I am so happy with my recent R9 290x Lightning purchase. Real performance, no gimmicks and I am not supporting a shitty corporation.

It's cute you think a company that started by literally stealing another companies design is what you call 'ethical'. A company that also has a record of overselling their products on rainbows and fairy dust. Remember this company is AMD now, this is not the ATI company you were looking for...

That being said, competition is always good. I am still waiting for AMD to deliver on a number of their promises though. Meanwhile, Nvidia may have some crappy tactics, and be relatively more expensive, but they seem to be consistently solid (except for the dark FX5000 days...).

As for Nvidia using 'intimidation' tactics, I don't know about that. I think there is probably a bit of exaggeration in that. I am sure Nvidia asked them to remove something in the bench, but not convinced how much it would matter. Their whole 'benching' process was a joke to begin with, including the timing, the cards used, the base systems, and the elements of the test. It also seems to go against numerous other bench results and tests. There is still a lot of confusion over their methods and results, not to mention its way too early in the DX12 era to really get anything out of this yet.

Actually, no there was not. I was duped by AMD, I made a informed decision based on what they said, they lied. End of story.

Informed decision based on company slides? Funniest thing I´ve ever seen, seriously. :D

Review sites and forums are here to make sure nobody has to pay attention to PR.

Grand slam post right here.....

It's cute you think a company that started by literally stealing another companies design is what you call 'ethical'. A company that also has a record of overselling their products on rainbows and fairy dust. Remember this company is AMD now, this is not the ATI company you were looking for...

That being said, competition is always good. I am still waiting for AMD to deliver on a number of their promises though. Meanwhile, Nvidia may have some crappy tactics, and be relatively more expensive, but they seem to be consistently solid (except for the dark FX5000 days...).

As for Nvidia using 'intimidation' tactics, I don't know about that. I think there is probably a bit of exaggeration in that. I am sure Nvidia asked them to remove something in the bench, but not convinced how much it would matter. Their whole 'benching' process was a joke to begin with, including the timing, the cards used, the base systems, and the elements of the test. It also seems to go against numerous other bench results and tests. There is still a lot of confusion over their methods and results, not to mention its way too early in the DX12 era to really get anything out of this yet.

What did NVidia do to 3DFX? oh, that's right stole their stuff and sued them into oblivion...

drivers that literally burned people's cards up? Check
Distributed known faulty chips and got caught? Check
Lost the console contract with MS because of their greed? Check
Lost the console contract with Sony because they had nothing to offer outside of Targa that gets laid to waste by AMD's all in one solution
Disabled overclocking of notebook chips not once but twice...

I can't believe all the misinformation here. Nvidia clearly goes to all of the game developers, threatens to break their knee caps, have their hired goons lean over them intimidatingly, kills all of their families' dogs, writes "REDRUM" on their bathroom mirrors in the fog, and occasionally says their names and then pokes them in the eye when they turn around. It's standard practice for a company of their size and industry. :p :rolleyes:

And yet we still have to go to Walmart cause the town took their money so they could build a SuperMart...and sell us fecal matter filled Beef....;)

My word, you seem to be very gullible. I have a bridge to sell to you.

What the fuck is the source of this FUD? There's so much monkey shit fighting going on between performance of nVidia and AMD regarding DX12, it's getting to be quite a mountain of salt grains. Each and every one of us, regardless of what GPU is being used, should just be happy that DX12 and Vulkan will be a free performance boost when utilized properly by game devs. Fuck, move on already...

What the fuck is the source of this FUD? There's so much monkey shit fighting going on between performance of nVidia and AMD regarding DX12, it's getting to be quite a mountain of salt grains. Each and every one of us, regardless of what GPU is being used, should just be happy that DX12 and Vulkan will be a free performance boost when utilized properly by game devs. Fuck, move on already...

Come on! That's not how this works, and you know it! :p

Seriously though, that would be nice, wouldn't it? For people to just get excited over new tech again, and stop the bitching. Oh well...

Except I have two machines. One with a 980ti that was fully watercooled and another that had a 290x (That machine got the Fury X and now has a 980ti as well)

Both my Watercooled and Aircooled 980ti's hit 1500 pretty easy.

Only poor people buy cheap cards and overclock, real men buy Titan X's and run them in SLI.

I'm a software dev. & physicist in the DC area. Chances are I'm making more money then you.

What the fuck is with people? Everyone now treats any piece of hardware he/she owns, as a motherfucking God. Heavens forbid someone else buy from competitor or there will be large crusade with pitchfork and torches. "Burn him, he is a heretic, he bought A not B"....

Newsflash, all those companies - from Apple through AMD, NVIDIA, Samsung and all others, don't bother with your praises or how much you do forum PVP, your "loyalty" to any brand is worthless and won't give you anything. So stop defending some silicon crap, no matter on the company, like it was Alamo.

You're a dirty console peasant if you don't have at least 4 Titan X's in SLI, complete with solid gold water blocks and diamond encrusted case fans.

What do you think intimidation tactics means, and what exactly did they do to meet that definition?

I kind of think that folks who buy $500 to 1000 dollar video cards would also buy a $2000 Kirby Vac from a door to door sales person...

the real controversy is that "Maxwell" doesn't really support DX12 async compute at the bare-metal level, and that NVIDIA driver bluffs its support to apps...damn

the real controversy is that "Maxwell" doesn't really support DX12 async compute at the bare-metal level, and that NVIDIA driver bluffs its support to apps...damn

No the real scandal is that for years AMD was gimping their cards with poor DX11 drivers and their customers just took it on the chin. Where are the class action lawsuits?!?!!?!? :eek:

What do you think intimidation tactics means, and what exactly did they do to meet that definition?

For one, nvidia started throwing a fit.

Async Compute is a standardized API-level feature added to Direct3D by Microsoft, which allows an app to better exploit the number-crunching resources of a GPU, by breaking down its graphics rendering tasks. Since NVIDIA driver tells apps that "Maxwell" GPUs supports it, Oxide Games simply created its benchmark with async compute support, but when it attempted to use it on Maxwell, it was an "unmitigated disaster." During to course of its developer correspondence with NVIDIA to try and fix this issue, it learned that "Maxwell" doesn't really support async compute at the bare-metal level, and that NVIDIA driver bluffs its support to apps. NVIDIA instead started pressuring Oxide to remove parts of its code that use async compute altogether, the later alleges.

http://www.techpowerup.com/215663/l...s-amd-gcn-better-prepared-for-directx-12.html

Once agan, someone who buys nvidia isn't getting the full package of capabilities that nvidia claims their products possess.

thats a bad paraphrase, Oxide never said they pressured them to take out Async all together, just that they asked them to disable "other things" and oxide told them to get bent.

Back