NVIDIA Unveils RTX Voice, AI-based Audio Noise-Cancellation Software

PC Gamer ran some benchmarks and found Pascal does take a bigger hit than Turing when running RTX Voice:

https://gyazo.com/a64c4fb7166ae8236c2585c22fc9ef04

Not exactly. If you look at the percentage it's a bigger percentage hit, but if you look at the loss in points it's about the same. It's only a bigger hit percentage because a 1080 is slower than a 2080.
So if they compared a 2070 to a 1080ti it wouldn't.

Not exactly. If you look at the percentage it's a bigger percentage hit, but if you look at the loss in points it's about the same. It's only a bigger hit percentage because a 1080 is slower than a 2080.
So if they compared a 2070 to a 1080ti it wouldn't.

I see 1200 vs 1000 gpu points lost.

PC Gamer ran some benchmarks and found Pascal does take a bigger hit than Turing when running RTX Voice:

https://gyazo.com/a64c4fb7166ae8236c2585c22fc9ef04

Does the performance hit only occur while actively using a microphone with RTX enabled or does it simply being enabled affect performance even if your mic is disabled or turned off? I also wonder if that performance hit scales with that "Noise Suppression %" slider as you move it up and down.

My friends were just complaining about hearing my mech keyboard last night while playing Warzone last night too, so I'll be trying this out tonight to see if they hear it anymore. I'm not sure it's worth a 8% hit on game performance though. This seems like something you could do as efficiently on a CPU or something though, considering how well NC headphones work by themselves with a fraction of the hardware in them, at least my Sony WH1000 XM3s do a decent job of allowing only voice to come through while cancelling out everything else, but I doubt they could keep up nearly as well as RTX did in that video posted with the megaphone, vacuum, and 90 db server fan going right next to the mic, hah.

B-b-b-but muh tensor cores 11!!1!!1
Fucking lol though, that didn't take long.

Even w/out tensor cores the perf hit vs turing is negligible. I think NVIDIA just wanted some PR points + it's in beta. We'll see if they call it "NVIDIA Voice" after it's out of beta. It is a great program though, I've been using it in discord and it filters out all my keyboard noise.

Used it playing with my friends for a few hours and they couldn't hear my keyboard anymore, so that's def nice for them at least. I toggled it while playing CoD MW too and couldn't tell any performance difference at least in that game on my 2080.

Gamers nexus just did some preliminary testing too. 2080S and 2060 had about a 5-10% performance loss in games (typically closer to 10%). GTX 1080 had a 16-17% loss despite being slighly faster than a 2060. So its not just because a 1080 is slower than a 2080 as some initially thought.

There were signs that only parts of the workload were offloaded to tensor cores with CUDA still being heavily utilized. I would expect the performace on RTX to improve as NVIDIA works on offloading more of the work to the RT cores as they move out of beta. Aslo sound quality on the 1080 was frankly terrible in their tests.

EDIT: So its not some evil conspiracy from NVIDIA to artificially lockout a feature for no reason in my opinion. RTX Voice kinda sucks on GTX while gaming at least from the samples that GN provided in terms of sound quality. On less demanding circumstances however like a zoom call the GTX works fine. Would have been nice of NVIDIA to make GTX an option but I can see how they dont want people being burned by a suppar GTX experience with the new tech. Hopefully, it eventually works with both GTx and RTX.

Last edited:
On less demanding circumstances however like a zoom call the GTX works fine.
And this is exactly the reason I want(ed?) it. I have a mechanical keyboard, I use voice conferences/zoom/Skype/discord exclusively while not gaming.

There are two options in the software for noise dampening, one from the speakers, one from the mic. I wonder if someone JUST uses it on the mic (as the other shouldn't be necessary) if it would work ok on GTX cards in games.

There are two options in the software for noise dampening, one from the speakers, one from the mic. I wonder if someone JUST uses it on the mic (as the other shouldn't be necessary) if it would work ok on GTX cards in games.

The speakers option is pretty cool. What it does is filters out the noise from other peoples sound. So even if your friends don't use RTX voice you can still filter out their background noise. The GamersNexus tests were done with only mic enabled and not the speaker option so sadly I doubt it will work well on GTX in games currently.

Gamers nexus just did some preliminary testing too. 2080S and 2060 had about a 5-10% performance loss in games (typically closer to 10%). GTX 1080 had a 16-17% loss despite being slighly faster than a 2060. So its not just because a 1080 is slower than a 2080 as some initially thought.

There were signs that only parts of the workload were offloaded to tensor cores with CUDA still being heavily utilized. I would expect the performace on RTX to improve as NVIDIA works on offloading more of the work to the RT cores as they move out of beta. Aslo sound quality on the 1080 was frankly terrible in their tests.

EDIT: So its not some evil conspiracy from NVIDIA to artificially lockout a feature for no reason in my opinion. RTX Voice kinda sucks on GTX while gaming at least from the samples that GN provided in terms of sound quality. On less demanding circumstances however like a zoom call the GTX works fine. Would have been nice of NVIDIA to make GTX an option but I can see how they dont want people being burned by a suppar GTX experience with the new tech. Hopefully, it eventually works with both GTx and RTX.

They have found that this is causing it to downclock cards, but nvidia inspector can prevent the downclock, removing anything they have found.

Would be a boon for parents:
1589562679298.png

Reactions: Fleat
like this
Back