Nvidia Tesla 50% off

colinstu

2[H]4U
http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_c870.html

$1300 -> $650

I posted this deal awhile ago, but then I noticed its not a video card so I asked for the post to be deleted. But half off? That's a lot of money and I there are many different people on this forum that could possibly used this - or maybe their company.

Not sure exactly what this card does, guess you run it with a Quadro FX card to get an extra boost of speed? Or can you use this just for calculations? Too bad you can't fold on it :p

Whatever, high-end computer stuff at half price must be interesting.

I'd buy it just for this.
overview_evolved.jpg
whatever the heck that is.

Some one get this thing folding. Yes I know their isn't a client.

lol its the type of stuff researches use to map out the 3d structures of proteins and i'm guessing pretty much anything else. superpi! 1m 0.05s

Its a stream processor that you can program. Believe it or not if you want to run one certain operation on a large set of data a stream processor(GPU) is ideal. Basically its a graphics card with no output used for simple calculations on large data sets. These things are pretty damn sick!

Now, if only you could run two of these in SLI as video cards... then maybe, just maybe, you could run Crysis at Max video settings/resolution w/ 60+ fps. :p

With all of that power, in a few short years you could finally answer, "why did the chicken cross the road".

Now, if only you could run two of these in SLI as video cards... then maybe, just maybe, you could run Crysis at Max video settings/resolution w/ 60+ fps. :p

Each D870 has two S870's in it - so that would be like 4 x 8800GTX in quad SLI, but with more memory. From this, I'm guessing it still wouldn't be enough to get 60 fps at max settings. LOL

Great deal if you're in a scientific modeling field, not too useful otherwise.

so...dont know much about these things. is it like an external processing core that links too the main core and it just processes information as a 'slave' processor? Or do you have to sent certain tasks to this processor for it to compute them.

what this leads to basically is what im asking..if i were to get one..or more of these and throw them in to my computer..a mac pro...could i use its power to render and encode video>>that would be awesome rendering HD video.

so...dont know much about these things. is it like an external processing core that links too the main core and it just processes information as a 'slave' processor? Or do you have to sent certain tasks to this processor for it to compute them.

what this leads to basically is what im asking..if i were to get one..or more of these and throw them in to my computer..a mac pro...could i use its power to render and encode video>>that would be awesome rendering HD video.

Programs must be written specifically to use the these, so no. Just buying one and dropping it in your computer won't do anything.

There is a project already doing some video decoding on the card here. There are also some preliminary accelerated Photoshop filters that use the card.

For personal use, I'd just buy an 8x00 or 9x00 series card. Code written to run on Tesla will work on those cards, too. The 8800GT is available for the Mac Pro now in nvidia's online store. The price seems pretty crummy, but I haven't shopped for Mac-compatible hardware.

i see an SLI connector on it. i wonder if you could hook it up as a slave card to say an 8800GTS or GTX maybe, that'd be alot of power.

Programs must be written specifically to use the these, so no. Just buying one and dropping it in your computer won't do anything.

There is a project already doing some video decoding on the card here. There are also some preliminary accelerated Photoshop filters that use the card.

For personal use, I'd just buy an 8x00 or 9x00 series card. Code written to run on Tesla will work on those cards, too. The 8800GT is available for the Mac Pro now in nvidia's online store. The price seems pretty crummy, but I haven't shopped for Mac-compatible hardware.

yea that would be too good to be a 'drop in' processor. thanks for the explanation though!

Back