Nvidia Tegra 3 aka Kal-El Quad Core SoC

12 days silicon already playing games and outputting 1440p 50 Mbps video into two screens ?

I agree with what the author of the article said. Impressive isn't enough to describe what that is...

I remember last year when the snapdragon is the thing and htc is the first to get out with it.

Too bad HTC is in bed with qualcomm; their mwc selection looks like crap against the rest of the tegra users. I don't get it; if samsung is willing to forego their own soc for tegra, why can't HTC commit infidelity?

HTC needs a divorce and go nVidia!

Sorry for ranting about htc in this thread!

Sorry for my swype mistakes...

Last edited:
I remember last year when the snapdragon is the thing and htc is the first to get out with it.

Too bad HTC is in bed with qualcomm; their mwc selection looks like crap against the rest of the tegra users. I don't get it; if samsung oid willing top forego their own soc for tegra, why can't HTC commit infidelity?

HTC needs a divorce and go nVidia!

Sorry for ranting about htc in this thread!

In the end they will all perform relatively close to each other. So who HTC is in bed with doesn't really matter.

However, I do wish HTC would bring some better hardware now. The Incredible S and Thunderbolt phones are nice but they will certainly not make me pass on the Droid Bionic or the Droid X2.

In the end they will all perform relatively close to each other. So who HTC is in bed with doesn't really matter.

However, I do wish HTC would bring some better hardware now. The Incredible S and Thunderbolt phones are nice but they will certainly not make me pass on the Droid Bionic or the Droid X2.
Have you even seen the benchmarks?!? The snapdragons have only barely caught up to the hummingbirds.

i think the differences in hardware is going to ultimately hurt android.

you'll have apps made for specific phones instead of the OS. the average user isn't going to know that the phones are substantially different.

i think the differences in hardware is going to ultimately hurt android.

you'll have apps made for specific phones instead of the OS. the average user isn't going to know that the phones are substantially different.

Google recommends Tegra 2 as the base platform for any Android phone/tablet, so they have that one covered.

Have you even seen the benchmarks?!? The snapdragons have only barely caught up to the hummingbirds.

Artificial benchmarks mean jack and shit and you know it.

The common person (the one who makes up 99% of the main purchaser of said phones) won't see a difference between an EVO, Droid X, Thunderbolt, Incredible, or even the new Incredible S. Angry Birds won't play any differently. Twitter and Facebook will act the same. Videos and YouTube will keep right on playing. Only artificial benchmarks will show a difference overall unless playing some overly graphics intensive game which again is a very small percentage of users.

Hand a common person a dual-core phone in the future (Tegra 2, Omap, or whatever) and the same applies. Angry Birds won't play any differently. Twitter and Facebook will act the same. Videos and YouTube will keep right on playing. Only artificial benchmarks will show a difference overall unless playing some overly graphics intensive game which again is a very small percentage of users.

It's like arguing Phenom II versus Core i7. Yes, technically one is faster then the other but in the end does it really matter when they both get you to where you want to go very quickly? For some of us sure it does but for the other 99% of the population they could give a rat's ass.

Google recommends Tegra 2 as the base platform for any Android phone/tablet, so they have that one covered.

nexus s is hummingbird and it is the official google phone.

i think the xoom is the official google tablet and you're right, it's tegra 2.

Tegra 2 was the development platform for Android 3.0. In that sense it's the preferred chip. It'll be months after the Xoom before you see Android 3.0 devices that are powered by TI, Freescale, or Qualcomm. If other companies want to launch Honeycomb devices sooner, they'll need to launch on Tegra 2 as the work has already been done.

The common person (the one who makes up 99% of the main purchaser of said phones) won't see a difference between an EVO, Droid X, Thunderbolt, Incredible, or even the new Incredible S. Angry Birds won't play any differently. Twitter and Facebook will act the same. Videos and YouTube will keep right on playing. Only artificial benchmarks will show a difference overall unless playing some overly graphics intensive game which again is a very small percentage of users.

Hand a common person a dual-core phone in the future (Tegra 2, Omap, or whatever) and the same applies. Angry Birds won't play any differently. Twitter and Facebook will act the same. Videos and YouTube will keep right on playing. Only artificial benchmarks will show a difference overall unless playing some overly graphics intensive game which again is a very small percentage of users.

It's like arguing Phenom II versus Core i7. Yes, technically one is faster then the other but in the end does it really matter when they both get you to where you want to go very quickly? For some of us sure it does but for the other 99% of the population they could give a rat's ass.
for this argument to work, you have to answer the question why people need the phone to not only just make phone calls.

performance sells.

for this argument to work, you have to answer the question why people need the phone to not only just make phone calls.

performance sells.

If one phone says 1GHz CPU and the other says 1GHz CPU 99% of the population say it's the same thing. They know nothing about the architecture underneath.

/me whispers: the secret is in the software.....

This is pretty awesome. Nvidia is definitely on a roll, can't wait for Kepler GPUs by the end of the year.

But now they just need to invent a better battery for my octacore quad sli smartphone.

Mind blowing hardware, quad core on a phone, QUAD CORE!

And it's all accelerating so fast, it's awesome! Competition is very heated.

And with Microsoft writing Windows 8 to be compatible with ARM and wanting desperately to enter the mobile game, these impressive hardware may get actually used.

I hope Windows 8 is like Motorola Atrix, it's the same OS with different UI stacks, when you use the phone the mobile UI activates, when you dock it, it switches to a full Windows 8. That would put MS back in the game BIG TIME!

It's going to be awesome if it indeed turns out to be that way, it might actually replace laptops and tablets for many people. I know I would seriously consider that option.

And by the time Window 8 is out, it'll be around 2012-2013 and by that time, the hardware will be even more powerful with storage capacities reaching 64GB AND microSDXC out, which should offer lots of additional storage.

Mind blowing hardware, quad core on a phone, QUAD CORE!

And it's all accelerating so fast, it's awesome! Competition is very heated.

And with Microsoft writing Windows 8 to be compatible with ARM and wanting desperately to enter the mobile game, these impressive hardware may get actually used.

I hope Windows 8 is like Motorola Atrix, it's the same OS with different UI stacks, when you use the phone the mobile UI activates, when you dock it, it switches to a full Windows 8. That would put MS back in the game BIG TIME!

It's going to be awesome if it indeed turns out to be that way, it might actually replace laptops and tablets for many people. I know I would seriously consider that option.

And by the time Window 8 is out, it'll be around 2012-2013 and by that time, the hardware will be even more powerful with storage capacities reaching 64GB AND microSDXC out, which should offer lots of additional storage.

Shit I'm hoping we get 64GB this summer for the iPhone 5!! :D

Bravo !!! [claps hands]

Exactly! Nothing will be optimized for it for quite some time just like when the dual core cpu's first came out. Ill pickup a dual core cpu phone once it becomes optimized. :eek:

Exactly! Nothing will be optimized for it for quite some time just like when the dual core cpu's first came out. Ill pickup a dual core cpu phone once it becomes optimized. :eek:

Exactly. Look how long it took for games and apps to go multi-threaded on pc's, Its gonna be at least 2 years before we see widespread multi-threaded phone apps. Till then its mostly a waste of time.

Here is an updated comparison of Kal-El with the Core2 duo T7200 running with an optimized version of Coremark

image2.png

Does this mean I'm no longer impressed with Kal-El? No, it just means Nvidia's marketing dept fails :D

Back