Nvidia Taskbar bring it back

KILLER_K

Supreme [H]ardness
Free The Nvidia Taskbar Icon 2017

Not sure what their reason was behind this. Maybe it was the Fall Update and they are waiting to see what it breaks. I hope we get it back soon though.

RIP Nvidia Taskbar Icon 2017

Its called a tray icon. I dont get why people want it.

You right click on the desktop and access it. This is how MS wants it instead of cluttering the tray icon area.

I don't care what Microsoft wants. I use my PC how I see fit. Just because you don't need it doesn't mean no one else needs or wants it that way. I'm guessing you have no taskbar icons at all then. Perhaps you want the clean taskbar look. That is fine with me but everyone is different.

You right click on the desktop and access it. This is how MS wants it instead of cluttering the tray icon area.

You've obviously never had an issue where the desktop locks up and the only thing that works is the taskbar and the system tray (and icons).

You've obviously never had an issue where the desktop locks up and the only thing that works is the taskbar and the system tray (and icons).

I've never seen that on Windows 10. The taskbar/start menu going bonkers on the other hand... yep. Very often if you use some specific apps, actually.

The NVCp is located C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe

You can pin it to your task bar, or if you use Windows 7, or have modded your Win 10 to bring back quick launch and a classic task bar, which i did, you can add it to quick launch, or just pin it to your start menu ect and it doesn't have to launch on startup.

The taskbar is usually one of the first things to lock up if you have issues with the explorer UI. But then why would you want to access the control panel from the GFX vendor at that time?

It runs in the background but you have a Icon in the start menu and open the program if you need to.

Last edited:
My understanding was that it was buggy and NVIDIA could never fix it, so they just removed it to stop people from complaining. I personally would like to see it come back because I always found it useful and there was always the option to disable it.

If people didn't want it they could always disable it. I don't understand how having more options is detrimental.

If people didn't want it they could always disable it. I don't understand how having more options is detrimental.

If you can access the same options with a right-click on the desktop...I'd rather have NVIDIA use the manpower on something less redundant *shrugs*

If you can access the same options with a right-click on the desktop...I'd rather have NVIDIA use the manpower on something less redundant *shrugs*
It was already a feature, which they removed. It would have been less effort to leave it in the taskbar.

I used it to access GeForce Experience pretty regularly. Was irritated that they removed it.

That is also how I used it as well. Maybe they will change their minds on it on the next update.

It was already a feature, which they removed. It would have been less effort to leave it in the taskbar.

I used it to access GeForce Experience pretty regularly. Was irritated that they removed it.

You can't access GFE from the right click menu. What you can do without the taskbar icon is get bent by MS and look at all the ads in the start menu when you have to go hunting for the GFE icon buried under 9,736 layers of stupid games you don't want and have disabled the OS from even installing but it does it anyways.

It looks like nothing has changed for the latest drivers. I sure was hoping they would bring it back. RIP Nvidia

You can't access GFE from the right click menu. What you can do without the taskbar icon is get bent by MS and look at all the ads in the start menu when you have to go hunting for the GFE icon buried under 9,736 layers of stupid games you don't want and have disabled the OS from even installing but it does it anyways.
Not arguing they should or shouldn't have the tray icon but if you're actually clicking around the start menu instead of typing for what you want then you're doing it wrong. The exceptions I can think of would be 1) before the stupid Win10 start menu has indexed your new crap and 2) when you can't think of what it is you're wanting and digging through is the only way to jog your brain.

The last thing on my mind if my desktop locks up (which pretty much NEVER happens anymore) is my tray icons...

Never used that icon (or GFE for that matter) but I'm all for giving people the option to bring 'em back if that's your thing. I came unglued when MS removed the Control Panel from right clicking the start menu and most people couldn't have cared less. I feel your pain.

The last 2 or 3 driver updates broke that fix also. It is nice to see that I'm not alone and other people feel the same way. We shall see nVidia.

What is this crap about nVidia?

Geforce Experience Beta 3.9.1 Release Highlights
Removed NVIDIA Tray Icon from Windows system tray in order to reduce the system footprint of NVIDIA software.

there might be a "fix" for it here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...tray-in-version-geforce-experience-v3-9-0-61/
not sure if it works on the FCU...

Last edited:
That was the issue at hand. We didn't have a choice of turning on or off. They just removed it all together. I'm glad everyone has a choice now on the matter.

We also got a little performance boost as well with the driver. Double win!
Annoying AF that it came back, but easy to turn [back] off. :cool:

Nvidia control panel, Then click on Desktop at the top. Uncheck the "Show notification Tray Icon"

Back