Nvidia should make a 12 inch card

oneils

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
475
Ok, hear me out.

Lately, I've been reading case reviews as I've been thinking of buying a new case for my pc. The one thing I've noticed is that most case reviews in the last year or so go to great pains to show that the ATI 5970 either fits, or doesn't fit. They always show off that cool looking HIS version.

Think about it. This has to be a ton of free marketing for ATI. Everyone sees their card, over and over, rather than the competition's. If I were marketing director for nvidia, I'd be imploring the r and d unit to design a cool looking 12 inch card!

edit: hmmm, looks like those ati cards are actually the 5870, not 5970.
 
Last edited:
So you think somehow a case review is going to sell an oversized video card?
 
Also, the HD5970 IS the single fastest card, right now. The fact that it's also the longest since the HD2900XTX, is just a coincidence.

The HD5970 is the longest, so why not use that as a baseline to say your case can fit "everything and anything"?
 
The 5970 is about an inch or so longer than the 5870, at just over a foot (31 cm). Even my 4870x2 with the massive aftermarket Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme cooler on it is about a centimeter short of that and still fits my mid-tower fine. Granted, it occupies a bit of drive-bay space and had to be put in at an angle, but just because your graphics card is gigantic doesn't really mean you need a huge case. There are dozens of cases that will accommodate these cards that aren't full towers, some are mATX even.

I have an Aspire XQ-Pack (mATX Desktop case) that would fit my 4870x2 setup with maybe 1-2mm to spare, or a 5870 even, given the size comparison.

Just my $0.02.
 
The 5970 is about an inch or so longer than the 5870, at just over a foot (31 cm). Even my 4870x2 with the massive aftermarket Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme cooler on it is about a centimeter short of that and still fits my mid-tower fine. Granted, it occupies a bit of drive-bay space and had to be put in at an angle, but just because your graphics card is gigantic doesn't really mean you need a huge case. There are dozens of cases that will accommodate these cards that aren't full towers, some are mATX even.

I have an Aspire XQ-Pack (mATX Desktop case) that would fit my 4870x2 setup with maybe 1-2mm to spare, or a 5870 even, given the size comparison.

Just my $0.02.

Or the SG07, a mITX case derived from the SG05 that can fit a HD5970 :eek:
 
Nvidia should make a card that needs its own case (a GeForce sku not a Quadro Plex one).
 
Or the SG07, a mITX case derived from the SG05 that can fit a HD5970 :eek:

Pictured here :D

sg07side.jpg
 
Jesus.... hows airflow in that config? I think you could probably kiss any dream of OCing goodbye in that rig.
 
Yeah, but what the review isn't telling you is that these ATi cards aren't worth considering 'til their part of Subway's "$5 footlongs" promotion...
 
Yeah, but what the review isn't telling you is that these ATi cards aren't worth considering 'til their part of Subway's "$5 footlongs" promotion...

Haha, I like that! :D

I agree somewhat, I would just like to add that it's not worth considering any of the $200+ cards unless they can be found at a worthwhile discount. Technology goes out of style so fast these days that it's just like throwing your money in the garbage if you buy these things when they're new. I always try to buy things after a generation or two of products has succeeded them, as it's worthwhile most of the time.
 
Haha, I like that! :D

I agree somewhat, I would just like to add that it's not worth considering any of the $200+ cards unless they can be found at a worthwhile discount. Technology goes out of style so fast these days that it's just like throwing your money in the garbage if you buy these things when they're new. I always try to buy things after a generation or two of products has succeeded them, as it's worthwhile most of the time.

That would be true if the video card police came into your home and removed your video card from the computer every time a better card came out. Not only would they not do that, video card police don't even exist. So a $200+ card is going to allow you to play games at higher settings, higher resolutions, higher levels of AA and get better performance than a <$200 card.

My 5870 cost $380 when I bought it, that was a year ago. Back then a sub $200 could not out perform it. A year later, a sub $200 still can't touch it. All the while, the video card police have not forced me to buy a new card.

Had I purchased a 5770 back then, I'd be looking for a new card today, essentially spending the same or more money and getting LESS performans through the life cycle of both of the cheaper cards cards.
 
That would be true if the video card police came into your home and removed your video card from the computer every time a better card came out. Not only would they not do that, video card police don't even exist. So a $200+ card is going to allow you to play games at higher settings, higher resolutions, higher levels of AA and get better performance than a <$200 card.

My 5870 cost $380 when I bought it, that was a year ago. Back then a sub $200 could not out perform it. A year later, a sub $200 still can't touch it. All the while, the video card police have not forced me to buy a new card.

Had I purchased a 5770 back then, I'd be looking for a new card today, essentially spending the same or more money and getting LESS performans through the life cycle of both of the cheaper cards cards.

Well, that's not exactly what I meant. I got my 4870x2 on ebay for less than $200 and it rivals your 5870...

I meant finding a good deal, not buying a weaker card.
 
...I would just like to add that it's not worth considering any of the $200+ cards unless they can be found at a worthwhile discount. Technology goes out of style so fast these days that it's just like throwing your money in the garbage if you buy these things when they're new. I always try to buy things after a generation or two of products has succeeded them, as it's worthwhile most of the time.

The GTX 460 doesn't hold a candle to the GTX 480 without a MEAN overclock... but that goes both ways. An overclocked GTX 480 isn't in the same realm as a GTX 460 OC'd.

The GTX 480 runs $420 or $430 everyday, after MIR. GTX 480 is (in 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 tests) 40 - 50% faster in Crysis (60 VS 40), HAWX (137 VS 90), BFBC2 (113 VS 86), STALKER: CoP (59 VS 35), Dirt 2 (104 VS 70), etc than a GTX 460.

There is a very big difference between the cards, these days. For a person driving three monitors or running in 3D, (or god-forbid, both), even two GTX 480's won't be able to do it all. Some people want to get the most bang for the buck for under $1,000. I can understand that, your computer may not be your primary hobby. But you should recognize that $420 is a completely acceptable price for some people. We need to drive the higher resolution (5310x1050, in my case, 2560x1600 for others), max all the settings and turn on AA and AF because we know games can be beautiful and one $200 card can only deliver what a $400-$500 card did two or three years ago. Some of us pity the console gamers / mid-range computers (ie low end gaming rigs) because their games look like smeared feces.

Just saying, for many of us, the high end is always worth it. :p
 
Last edited:
Just saying, for many of us, the high end is always worth it. :p

There is truth to this. There are applications today where the most cost-effective solution may not offer enough juice. Notably Eyefinity/Surround and 3D. 460 GTX in SLI was my original plan for my new machine. But then I decided I wanted to go Surround and potentially 3D later on, so that morphed into 480s in SLI.

460 GTX is supremely effective for the price, but it's not like a CPU where you can buy a $200 CPU and then OC it to wipe the floor with a $900 CPU. There are real benefits to high end GPUs.
 
Just saying, for many of us, the high end is always worth it. :p

Well to each his own, I'm certainly not stopping you, I just don't have the money that you guys have and I'm forced to find an alternate route.
 
Well to each his own, I'm certainly not stopping you, I just don't have the money that you guys have and I'm forced to find an alternate route.

Which is fine, the point we are trying to make is just becuase we opt for more expensive cards, doesn't mean our money is being thrown away. The benefits are very easily seen with higher end cards.
 
I've just always looked at it that way because it feels like the amount of time that these cards stay flagship gets shorter and shorter with every release.
 
I've just always looked at it that way because it feels like the amount of time that these cards stay flagship gets shorter and shorter with every release.

Well, the G80 was a serious exception, not the norm.
 
Back
Top