Nvidia shield with free remote

Me too, already got one but at $150 I could get another one.

Is the bootloader on this unlocked? Is it possible to load linux on this thing?

Just received mine today $150 with the remote was too good to pass up. Awesome little box.

16 GB is not going to cut it but I assume I can use my Seagate 1 TB external hard drive with the Shield?

I get this confused with steams box.. does this one play your games from the pc on the tv as well? Which one is better for that?

Got mine yesterday and returning it today. The controller is awful!!!

Does this thing emulate decently?

I bought an ouya when they came out and it wasn't fast enough for SNES

Got mine yesterday and returning it today. The controller is awful!!!

Personal preference I guess. I think the controller rocks. But you can always pair a ps4 or Xbox One controller on it.

Had the coupon too but missed it. It went in to promotions tab in my gmail. Kinda sucks I would have picked one up. But I will check more often now and wait to see if I get another coupon. I would be sure search Nvidia in my Gmail again once a week to see what I get. I guess shouldn't ignore promotions tab too much fromm now on lol

16 GB is not going to cut it but I assume I can use my Seagate 1 TB external hard drive with the Shield?

From what I've read someone said you can load there movies on an external usb drive.. not sure about games or android stuff.

Sounds nice.. im just not sure there's much I wana game with from the pc using a controller.. but the streaming fir movies and video looks promising.

I bought this a few weeks ago with the promo from Nvidia and they recently added the free $50 remote so I pinged their CS to see if they would ship me the remote, their CS replied and said they requested it but no word yet, we'll see what happens.

I bought it for my sister and her family for X-mas, it seems perfect for them as they're cable/cordcutters with 2 young children and would make great use of the DVR/Kodi/Streaming capabilities of the machine and also allow them to control how much and the type of gaming their children play on it. Kind of like a PC gateway for them without having to buy a full blown gaming PC. I'm personally more interested in an Alienware Alpha-like device for HTPC with light gaming/streaming capabilities, but waiting for them to update the Alpha to a GM206-based card for HDMI 2.0/HEVC for 4K.

There's tons of methods to expand storage, I plan to give them a USB to 2.5" caddy with either an older laptop HDD or an SSD, and you can also use a microSD card, maybe one you used to use in your old Galaxy phone before Samsung removed that feature. :D For more advanced users, you can also use mounted NAS/network drives for the bulk of your storage and streaming instead and keep the local storage fast.

Not sure what the complaints are about the controller, its a bit bulky but otherwise feels identical to the Xbox One controller in build quality, although its not going to rival the Xbox Elite, nothing really does though. :D

I get this confused with steams box.. does this one play your games from the pc on the tv as well? Which one is better for that?
There's 3 different way to play PC games on this:

1) Stream games from the cloud via GRID service, including games you own on Steam (Beta). This will eventually be subscription based but currently free for Shield owners I believe.
2) Stream games in-house over your network from a GeForce Kepler or better PC using GameStream (best in-home streaming) method.
3) Play Android version of PC games locally on the Tegra X1 SoC. I believe this also allows license sharing with your Steam library, so you won't have to buy 2x (don't quote me on this). Games are generally a few years back and overall "lite" in terms of eye-candy.

Everything I've read says this thing blows all other streaming boxes out of the water for both Android TV and extensible "PC" gaming type functions, although all the PC gaming functions are still in various states of development/support.

Does this thing emulate decently?

I bought an ouya when they came out and it wasn't fast enough for SNES
The Tegra X1 SoC has to be 6-8x faster than the Tegra 3 they used in Ouya at this point, but I haven't checked the actual #s/benches to be certain. Emulation is still a pretty heavy computational burden so I can't say for sure.

Anyone tell me why one would want the version with the 500gb hdd built in? Any different then one using an external usb hdd?

You can also install Kodi from the google play store and turn this into a very capable media player.

Anyone tell me why one would want the version with the 500gb hdd built in? Any different then one using an external usb hdd?

Only thing I could think of is for aesthetics, or for someone who wants to really supercharge this thing and replace the HDD with an SSD, but at that point I'm not sure its really worth it. The Pro version has a SATA header, while the 16GB does not have the header at all.

Much more cost effective is just using some kind of caddy/enclosure/USB to SATA connector and using any HDD/SSD you have laying around to increase storage. It will add clutter however. Or you can use a microSD but capacities are obviously going to be more limited there.

Only thing I could think of is for aesthetics, or for someone who wants to really supercharge this thing and replace the HDD with an SSD, but at that point I'm not sure its really worth it. The Pro version has a SATA header, while the 16GB does not have the header at all.

Much more cost effective is just using some kind of caddy/enclosure/USB to SATA connector and using any HDD/SSD you have laying around to increase storage. It will add clutter however. Or you can use a microSD but capacities are obviously going to be more limited there.

I just bought the 500gb version and there's no sata connection to be seen.

Also the grid is now subscription based. :/ 3 months free though at first. 7.99 or 8.99 a month.. can't remember atm.

I bought this, and I'm being screwed by Comcast. I cannot log into HBO Go. I could cast HBO Go from my phone to this, but what's the point of this awesome free remote and game controller?

I can watch Netflix and Youtube very well on it. The wireless AC chip in it definitely works better than my old Chromecast and FireTV stick. I'm not buffering with Youtube! YEAH!

But there is no Amazon Prime Video support, obviously. There is Showtime, but not Showtime Anytime; but even if there is, I'm sure Comcast will screw me on it too, just like on CBS News, HGTV, and Food Network. Vudu is also not approved for Android TV.

$175 for Netflix and Youtube, better chromecasting, some really good games, possible future support for apps like Vudu, and with the hateful Comcast blocking everything else, I would not recommend this, especially not for Comcast customers.

4 of 10 for non-Comcast customers.
2 of 10 for Comcast customers.

NOTE: There needs to be more app support for the AndroidTV before I could recommend it. For now, I suggest people just get a Roku 4 or FireTV 2015 if wireless AC is needed for better streaming.

Last edited:
I just bought the 500gb version and there's no sata connection to be seen.

Also the grid is now subscription based. :/ 3 months free though at first. 7.99 or 8.99 a month.. can't remember atm.

That SATA connector is inside connecting the 500GB drive, the 16GB version doesn't have it all sadly.

$200 at Newegg. Can stack the visa checkout on top of this

It was actually $174 before today's "sale" so it's a net zero gain with the VCO discount :(

This is first device that can replace a HTPC, IMO, if you're big on Kodi usage.

It's VERY nice if you have Plex as well. You can do playback with the device directly or use the Shield as a Chromecast. One feature that I absolutely LOVE is the HD Homerun compatibility. I've had the Homerun for a while, but was never able to use it how I had hoped until the Shield. Once you install the HDHomerun app ($0.99) it opens up a Live Channels feature on the Shield. It has a full guide which is much nicer than Comcasts default guide (non X1). And if you use Emby, you can have a DVR as well. Amazing! In fact, its all way easier than an HTPC! I have zero complaints thus far.

It's VERY nice if you have Plex as well. You can do playback with the device directly or use the Shield as a Chromecast. One feature that I absolutely LOVE is the HD Homerun compatibility. I've had the Homerun for a while, but was never able to use it how I had hoped until the Shield. Once you install the HDHomerun app ($0.99) it opens up a Live Channels feature on the Shield. It has a full guide which is much nicer than Comcasts default guide (non X1). And if you use Emby, you can have a DVR as well. Amazing! In fact, its all way easier than an HTPC! I have zero complaints thus far.

Does the HDHomerun app support the DRM-encrypted channels, ie. HBO/Cinemax etc?

Also at some point they are planning to release HD Homerun DVR, which should allow you to use the Shield as a DVR without any other 3rd party program app. I helped fund the Kickstarter but development is way behind (not surprised) it'll probably get released around this time next year.

Does the HDHomerun app support the DRM-encrypted channels, ie. HBO/Cinemax etc?

Also at some point they are planning to release HD Homerun DVR, which should allow you to use the Shield as a DVR without any other 3rd party program app. I helped fund the Kickstarter but development is way behind (not surprised) it'll probably get released around this time next year.

It does not, but for me that has never been an issue. The primary TV in the house has a Comcast box so I just watch all the HBO stuff on it. I use the HGTV in my bedroom and for movies I use Netflix or Plex. :)

Nice, so Nvidia is sending me a Shield remote free of charge since I bought right before they started the promotion.

It does not, but for me that has never been an issue. The primary TV in the house has a Comcast box so I just watch all the HBO stuff on it. I use the HGTV in my bedroom and for movies I use Netflix or Plex. :)

Thanks for the confirmation, yeah I am hoping Silicon Dust HD DVR app will be able to, they promised it could but who knows really lol I am not expecting too much. In the meantime I have a NUC that will run Windows 8.1 until 2020 just for the ability to play Encrypted channels via WMC.

But yeah I think otherwise it looks like a great streaming/plex/kodi device, I just don't need one right now.

Back