Nvidia rtx 3090 discussion

I agree with 98% of what you said, but the 3080 is not a 2080Ti replacement.
A 3080Ti/Super 20GB with the speed of the 3090 will come for $999 or so.

Or if Big Navi eats the 3080 for less money, we could see the 20GB go for the same money.

It will be tough for Nv to maintain massive profits once AMD releases their cards.

Oh we're for sure going to get a 20 GB 3080 but it'll still be the same amount of CUDA cores IMO and just extra vram. So the performance shouldn't change at all.

I doubt it...these are designed to throttle back and ramp up the fan speeds when a predefined threshold is reached. It won't matter if it's Q2 RTX or the next AAA RTX title.

Well by "teeth" i meant more it's extra CUDA cores doing something in future titles. Anyhow, the air cooler is so massive and efficient that TechSpot said they topped out at 65C so it has me contemplating the usefulness of getting a WC block for the 3090.

So...only a mug / moron would buy a 3090 just for gaming, coming from or for anything. A 20GB 3080 will still be too much for me personally, tho it should be very popular. I'm either going (from a 1070) to AMD soon-ish or wait for 3070s/ti, ugh. Staying at 1440p 144Hz till I can get 144Hz 30"+ OLED or something for well under 1K USD.

So...only a mug / moron would buy a 3090 just for gaming, coming from or for anything. A 20GB 3080 will still be too much for me personally, tho it should be very popular. I'm either going (from a 1070) to AMD soon-ish or wait for 3070s/ti, ugh. Staying at 1440p 144Hz till I can get 144Hz 30"+ OLED or something for well under 1K USD.

I am that moron, a 3090 for my flight sim rig with 3 4k screens

I am that moron, a 3090 for my flight sim rig with 3 4k screens

Such a garbage performance increase over a 3080 for the money. Horrible. I'd forget RT at any serious level at the moment and don't use most useless ultra crap, and go from there.

His money, his computer, his copy of Flight Sim, his choice.
Right. And if someone has enough money to blow on a pricey GPU they really want without it negatively affecting their life in any way, it's difficult for me to understand why that qualifies them to be an "idiot". If someone's not tight on cash and chooses to occasionally purchase something that's not a great value but makes them happy...good for them. Calling other people names because they don't have the same videocard preference seems more silly to me.

His money, his computer, his copy of Flight Sim, his choice.
True but it's not like he's sitting at home and people are breaking down his door to call him an idiot. He's on a public forum and people get critiqued all of the time here. I don't believe in name calling but critque most definitely should be allowed. I would warn anyone if I thought the purchase wasn't sound. It's a free country they can ignore me and that goes both ways.

Such a garbage performance increase over a 3080 for the money. Horrible. I'd forget RT at any serious level at the moment and don't use most useless ultra crap, and go from there.

FS2020 eats up a lot of memory, I wouldn't be surprise if we see noticeably better gameplay experience there.

FS2020 eats up a lot of memory, I wouldn't be surprise if we see noticeably better gameplay experience there.
I think the game must dynamically adjust detail based on vram allocation. I ran maxed settings on a 2060 6GB and didn't have any weird issues like hitting a vram wall and falling flat. The FPS were only bad in dense areas with loads of detail mixed with weather, but even then it was pretty playable.

My 3090 should be showing up sometime later today. So far my experience with EVGA has been shockingly pleasant. Well, minus their site crashing/freezing shenanigans.
I've been having to work with Adobe production software a lot more lately and I'm curious what my Premiere Pro and Dimension experience will be like now. I guess this thing plays games, too.

My 3090 should be showing up sometime later today. So far my experience with EVGA has been shockingly pleasant. Well, minus their site crashing/freezing shenanigans.
I've been having to work with Adobe production software a lot more lately and I'm curious what my Premiere Pro and Dimension experience will be like now. I guess this thing plays games, too.
would you be willing to do a few benchmarks with your 2080Ti and then the 3090? specifically the premiere pro benchmark from puget? https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Premiere-Pro-1519/

I don't have my 2080 Ti anymore. Sold it to a buddy a few weeks ago. I don't mind doing the free benchmark for the new card, though.
thank you, would love to see since most of the reviews are game focused.

I think the game must dynamically adjust detail based on vram allocation. I ran maxed settings on a 2060 6GB and didn't have any weird issues like hitting a vram wall and falling flat. The FPS were only bad in dense areas with loads of detail mixed with weather, but even then it was pretty playable.

Everything I read about FS2020 makes me believe it's poorly optimized. Basing any decisions on that game right now would seem unwise.

L
Everything I read about FS2020 makes me believe it's poorly optimized. Basing any decisions on that game right now would seem unwise.
They said it was dx11, that right there tells you it's not optimized. M$ pushing devs to move to dx12 but their own products sticking it out, lol. I do believe it could be better optimized, but it does a lot of data streaming/shuffling in and out of vram, this is why I figured dx12 would have made a big difference between dx11.

msfs 2020 is getting dx 12 they said, hopefully sooner than later... and proper multi screen support I hope.

Got the Samsung Q90T TV setup and running at 1080p / 120. I need a better cable (25’) to push it to 1440p/120.

To be honest - it looks great at 1080p with the AI upscaling. I was || close to getting a 3080/3090 for 4k/120 but at this point I might just wait for Hopper. With the 3080 crashing reports and the cluster for availability... it’s looking like my 2080ti will sit around for a few years.

At Bestbuy the cards were gone before I could even add to cart, and that’s maybe 10% of the total checkout time? Not even close. Still tilted there’s no backorder. Expecting people to F5 vs bots is nuts.

My EVGA 3090 just showed up and I just installed it. The damn thing actually has 3 PCIE power inputs...although it seems like only 2 are needed per the overly vague instruction sheet.
I went ahead and plugged in 3 (might as well), but I figure I'll research and figure out the lowdown. The instructions that come with it are for all EVGA cards and aren't overly clear.
It easily maxes out most everything I own, although RDR2 with everything cranked still kicks its ass. My 2080Ti used to pull FPS in the teens. This at least seems to pull a solid 30fps if not a little more. No way is anything pulling 60 any time soon, though. That said, the visual difference between a lot of those settings is almost non-existent.

My EVGA 3090 just showed up and I just installed it. The damn thing actually has 3 PCIE power inputs...although it seems like only 2 are needed per the overly vague instruction sheet.
I went ahead and plugged in 3 (might as well), but I figure I'll research and figure out the lowdown. The instructions that come with it are for all EVGA cards and aren't overly clear.
It easily maxes out most everything I own, although RDR2 with everything cranked still kicks its ass. My 2080Ti used to pull FPS in the teens. This at least seems to pull a solid 30fps if not a little more. No way is anything pulling 60 any time soon, though. That said, the visual difference between a lot of those settings is almost non-existent.
Thanks for the lowdown. But LOL 3?!?!

So I ordered an EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra today.

Does anybody know how the EVGA FTW3 Ultra compares to other AIB cards, like the STRIX OC?

I cannot find any reviews on the FTW3 Ultra except for one in another language.

Did I make a good choice?

Performance is strong, but stability is not so far. I've gotten crashes in Horizon: Zero Dawn (just while loading the textures at the beginning), while running the tuner test in Precision X, and while playing Borderlands 3. Horizon is kinda notoriously crashy and this version of PX is still a beta...but Borderlands is pretty bulletproof. Could be drivers or it could be the whole POSCAP thing that's being talked about.
EDIT: Seems this model shouldn't be affected as it's the same as the FE models. Probably immature drivers I'd guess. For what it's worth, seems like raising my power target in Precision X has things running sans any crashes since. Could be related, or it could be total luck/placebo. I uninstalled and re-installed drivers as well.

Gonna keep playing around and see what happens.

Last edited:
3090 Kingpin

fhi1pfllkwp51.jpg

For refrence, with zero OC'ing (of the card) or any tweaking at all my 3090 FTW pulls 16,500 in 3DMark.

Anybody know of a noise comparison between different models?

I'm thinking about getting an EVGA card, but worry that with the (seemingly?) smaller cooler it'll be louder than, say, an ASUS TUF. I'm looking specifically at non-OCed cards.

Anybody know of a noise comparison between different models?

I'm thinking about getting an EVGA card, but worry that with the (seemingly?) smaller cooler it'll be louder than, say, an ASUS TUF. I'm looking specifically at non-OCed cards.

My 3090 FTW3 Ultra at 70% fixed fan speed (~2100 rpm) is barely louder than my case fans and very tolerable in a quiet room (I use nice, quiet fans). I settled on a fixed 70% since it keeps the card at 64 to 71C depending on the game/task (folding@home).

100% fan speed is like a jet. 85% is loud, but somewhat tolerable.

I do have a *big* ass Enermax Fulmo GT case with tons of cool air being forced in.

After reviewing some videos of Flight Simulator, it appears that 3090 in some scenarios could offer a materially improved experience than 3080. For example, where 3080 dipped below 60fps in some scenarios, the 3090 did a better job of keeping frames above 60. As 60 is generally our minimum target frame rate, depending on the games you are running, it could be worth having a card that can simply hit that 60 fps mark now.

In most games it probably makes little difference, and in some applications it seems neither card is up to par. I personally do not feel like 3090 is powerful enough to have the kind of staying power to make it 2-3 year card. If that card were say, $1,000 I would jump on it over the 3080.

The problem I have with 3090 is not that it is twice the price and not twice the performance, it is that in the most grueling tests, I believe it was 4K, you end up with low 60fps rates and it just does not seem like 3090 will serve gamers aspiring for 4K very long.

My 3090 FTW3 Ultra at 70% fixed fan speed (~2100 rpm) is barely louder than my case fans and very tolerable in a quiet room (I use nice, quiet fans). I settled on a fixed 70% since it keeps the card at 64 to 71C depending on the game/task (folding@home).

100% fan speed is like a jet. 85% is loud, but somewhat tolerable.

I do have a *big* ass Enermax Fulmo GT case with tons of cool air being forced in.

Is the heatsink on that one larger than on the XC3? It looks thicker, but it's not clear if this is due to larger heatsink or larger fans.

Is the heatsink on that one larger than on the XC3? It looks thicker, but it's not clear if this is due to larger heatsink or larger fans.
Edit: I used the compare option on EVGA's site, and it's a 2.75 slot on the FTW3, and a 2.2 on the XC3. The FTW3 is 11.81 inches long and 5.38 inches high, and the XC3 is 11.23 inches long and 4.38 inches high. So I would assume that the FTW3 does have quite a bit bigger heatsink.

Last edited:
Back