• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NVIDIA Removes Restriction on ATI GPUs with NVIDIA GPUs Processing PhysX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Did Ageia promise you in writing that your card would be completely functional for a certain period of time?

when you purchase a product, you are purchasing the ability to use that product indefinitely, in any way shape or form, unless a user agreement or other TOS puts restrictions on that use and the purchaser is made aware of it before purchase.

there is no such restrictions put on the ageia physx cards. the seller (or company that bought out the seller) would have no legal right to tell me when i can not use the card. it was never brought to my attention at the time i handed them my money, that the card would be rendered inoperable on purpose if used in conjunction with unapproved other hardware.

so to answer your question- by not explicitly stating at the time of purchase that the card would be rendered nonfunctional *on purpose* sometime in the future- yes ageia promised me that the card would be completely functional.

@GotNoRice - thats what i figured, you would just have to download older drivers. i dont currently use the card, so im not that interested in it, however it does get under my skin when a company tells me what i can and cant do with my product that i bought at any time, but especially sometime after purchase, which i did not agree to.
 
Awesome. The pettiness of the restriction before was stupid.

How?

First and foremost, Ati fanboys are really butthurt about this, and hypocrites to boot.

They foam at the mouth about how phsyx is worthless, and doesn't do anything, blah, blah, blah.

But then they go and hack the drivers to try to get it to run on ATI hardware. That is they very definition of hypocrisy.

And then they are sooo full of entitlement that they think they are owed something made by another company.

Look. Nvidia bought physx. It is theirs. They put money into it. How entitled do you have to be to think you should be able to use software that was bought by a company and to be used with that companies hardware?

I don't care if any hardware can run it. That makes no sense, and is just spouting off strawman to make it look like you have a point.

Plenty of companies have restrictions and I don't hear you guys spouting off about them. Apple comes to mind first.

It's Nvidia's software. If they don't want it to run on everyone's hardware then that is their right, and you're a spoiled little brat if you think you should get thier product for free.
 
And then they are sooo full of entitlement that they think they are owed something made by another company.

Look. Nvidia bought physx. It is theirs. They put money into it. How entitled do you have to be to think you should be able to use software that was bought by a company and to be used with that companies hardware?

I don't care if any hardware can run it. That makes no sense, and is just spouting off strawman to make it look like you have a point.

Plenty of companies have restrictions and I don't hear you guys spouting off about them. Apple comes to mind first.

It's Nvidia's software. If they don't want it to run on everyone's hardware then that is their right, and you're a spoiled little brat if you think you should get thier product for free.

I think he means being able to use Physx on a Nvidia card while running an ATi for the main card. Both at the same time. Not running Physx on a ATi card
 
How?

First and foremost, Ati fanboys are really butthurt about this, and hypocrites to boot.

They foam at the mouth about how phsyx is worthless, and doesn't do anything, blah, blah, blah.

But then they go and hack the drivers to try to get it to run on ATI hardware. That is they very definition of hypocrisy.

And then they are sooo full of entitlement that they think they are owed something made by another company.

Look. Nvidia bought physx. It is theirs. They put money into it. How entitled do you have to be to think you should be able to use software that was bought by a company and to be used with that companies hardware?

I don't care if any hardware can run it. That makes no sense, and is just spouting off strawman to make it look like you have a point.

Plenty of companies have restrictions and I don't hear you guys spouting off about them. Apple comes to mind first.

It's Nvidia's software. If they don't want it to run on everyone's hardware then that is their right, and you're a spoiled little brat if you think you should get thier product for free.

Okay, I'll meet you under the bridge. No one is saying that Nvidia should allow physx to run on ATI's hardware. It's that they disable running it on NVIDIA hardware if it detects there is a competitor's card also in the system, even as a secondary monitor!
 
How?

First and foremost, Ati fanboys are really butthurt about this, and hypocrites to boot.

They foam at the mouth about how phsyx is worthless, and doesn't do anything, blah, blah, blah.

But then they go and hack the drivers to try to get it to run on ATI hardware. That is they very definition of hypocrisy.

And then they are sooo full of entitlement that they think they are owed something made by another company.

Look. Nvidia bought physx. It is theirs. They put money into it. How entitled do you have to be to think you should be able to use software that was bought by a company and to be used with that companies hardware?

I don't care if any hardware can run it. That makes no sense, and is just spouting off strawman to make it look like you have a point.

Plenty of companies have restrictions and I don't hear you guys spouting off about them. Apple comes to mind first.

It's Nvidia's software. If they don't want it to run on everyone's hardware then that is their right, and you're a spoiled little brat if you think you should get thier product for free.

so.. I bought a nVidia card, shouldn't I have the rights to use what it advertise?

there is nothing on it saying it will not run with ATI as primary GPU.. NOTHING..

People who use physX with ATI card due to various reason, as I mention before, Batman is one of them, and to get higher score on Vantage is another.

You making no sense. so you register in [H] just to bash on people ... GJ
 
Okay, I'll meet you under the bridge. No one is saying that Nvidia should allow physx to run on ATI's hardware. It's that they disable running it on NVIDIA hardware if it detects there is a competitor's card also in the system, even as a secondary monitor!

I'm sorry you don't like the facts, and have nothing factual to counter with you so go with the namecalling route.

Once again, it's their software, and what they are doing is legal. I'll agree with you that sometimes it sucks when companies do this, but.....


and follow closely.....

it's theirs and they can do what they want with it.

WHy get so mad about facts?
 
Just for the record, right in the NVIDIA FAQ it states that, no you can't use any non-NVIDIA card in conjunction with an NVIDIA card to get Physx.

But yea I do agree that it's a pretty shitty move on NVIDIA to have this restriction. Even thought I don't really think they would have sold many GPU's to ATI owners just to use Physx. Most would have either pulled out there old ones or just bought a used one. Either way it's still shitty of them.

Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.
 
The point isn't that they disable their hardware when you use it with another manufacture's video card. It's that they disable their hardware, nvidia branded hardware you paid money for, when you try to use it as advertised.
 
Just for the record, right in the NVIDIA FAQ it states that, no you can't use any non-NVIDIA card in conjunction with an NVIDIA card to get Physx.

But yea I do agree that it's a pretty shitty move on NVIDIA to have this restriction. Even thought I don't really think they would have sold many GPU's to ATI owners just to use Physx. Most would have either pulled out there old ones or just bought a used one. Either way it's still shitty of them.

Which wasn't there until the drivers disabled it. They were never upfront about it until after they disabled it.

Maybe it doesn't make sense because you have a below average IQ? honestly, I don't know why it doesn't make sense to you, but I'm getting the feeling that no matter how slowly I type it, you won't "get it".

It's Nvidia's property. They can do what they want with it.

And you want to talk about making no sense? Show me where, on a Nvidia box, that it will run phsyx with an ATi card. Show me.

I really don't care about your reasons ATI people use phsyx. They technically shouldn't be. I'm not saying this to be the big bad guy, it's just a matter of fact.

It's also hypocrisy, as I've pointed out. You say physx sucks, but then you bitch and moan when you cant get it, and try to hack it to get it.

I noticed that you didn't address that little tid bit in your rant.

And I joined H to discuss tech topics. I can't help it if you're butthurt because you can't use software that isn't licensed to work on your hardware.

I really don't see why you are mad at all. One, you say physx sucks. OK. I can respect that as an opinion. And two, you used free will to buy and ATI card, which you knew didn't support physx.

So what did you expect?

Only one with a below average IQ here is you. Nobody is complaining about not being able to run PhysX on ATI hardware, people are complaining about not being able to run PhysX on Nvidia hardware. Basically, Nvidia intentionally broke its shit after it sold the cards. Nvidia threw a giant temper tantrum.

And no, Nvidia can't do what they want. There are things known as "consumer protection laws". There are also things known as "business ethics", but those are (sadly) rapidly disappearing.

Should I get mad and raise hell if I buy a Chevy and can't get a Ford dashboard to work in it?

Should I be mad I bought a Kodak printer and can't do stuff a HP printer can do?

The correct comparisons would be:

Should I get mad and raise hell if I buy a Chevy and the A/C won't turn on because its parked in the same garage as a Ford? (fuck yes you should)

Should I be mad I bought a Kodak printer and it won't print cyan because there is an HP printer on the network? (again, fuck yes you should)

You make absolutely zero sense.

And you clearly don't understand the situation you're commenting on.
 
The point isn't that they disable their hardware when you use it with another manufacture's video card. It's that they disable their hardware, nvidia branded hardware you paid money for, when you try to use it as advertised.
While I do agree with you that it's a shitty move, I even stated that fact in my last post, did they ever advertise that it will work in conjunction with any non-NVIDIA GPU?

NVIDIA cards do work as advertised.
NVIDIA never officially advertised, that I've ever seen, that you could use an NVIDIA card with any non-NVIDIA card.
 
While I do agree with you that it's a shitty move, I even stated that fact in my last post, did they ever advertise that it will work in conjunction with any non-NVIDIA GPU?

NVIDIA cards do work as advertised.
NVIDIA never officially advertised, that I've ever seen, that you could use an NVIDIA card with any non-NVIDIA card.

That's like saying Call of Duty 4 never said it would work if you have Medal of Honor installed. It doesn't have to work through it or with it, just has to do what it was meant to do with the hardware they provide.
 
How?

First and foremost, Ati fanboys are really butthurt about this, and hypocrites to boot.

They foam at the mouth about how phsyx is worthless, and doesn't do anything, blah, blah, blah.

But then they go and hack the drivers to try to get it to run on ATI hardware. That is they very definition of hypocrisy.

And then they are sooo full of entitlement that they think they are owed something made by another company.

Look. Nvidia bought physx. It is theirs. They put money into it. How entitled do you have to be to think you should be able to use software that was bought by a company and to be used with that companies hardware?

I don't care if any hardware can run it. That makes no sense, and is just spouting off strawman to make it look like you have a point.

Plenty of companies have restrictions and I don't hear you guys spouting off about them. Apple comes to mind first.

It's Nvidia's software. If they don't want it to run on everyone's hardware then that is their right, and you're a spoiled little brat if you think you should get thier product for free.

I'm sorry you don't like the facts, and have nothing factual to counter with you so go with the namecalling route.
Oh, the iron knee. Nonsensical, but entertaining word salad.

Now I have an identity crisis. The ATI supporters called me an nvidia fanboy and nvidia suppoters call me an ATI fanboy. Whatever, it feels good to be a gangsta!
 
That's like saying Call of Duty 4 never said it would work if you have Medal of Honor installed. It doesn't have to work through it or with it, just has to do what it was meant to do with the hardware they provide.
But does do what it was meant to do with the hardware THEY provide.
 
Who cares?

PhysX only works with a few games, only 1 good game, and even with the games is does work, it;s meh.

It's not worth the elctricity it uses.

If someone gave me a dedicated PhysX card, for free, and if I had a free PCIe slot, and it didn't mess up my toher 2 cards (ex going from 16x 16x to 16x 8x 8x), I still would.t use it simply becase its not worth the few watts of power it wastes.
 
And then they are sooo full of entitlement that they think they are owed something made by another company.
we are saying that we are owed something made by the same company, software to make the hardware WE PURCHASED WORK CORRECTLY.

How entitled do you have to be to think you should be able to use software that was bought by a company and to be used with that companies hardware?
i must be pretty damn entitled, because i fully expect to be able to use the software from one company (nvidia) with that same companies (nvidias) associated hardware in order to make that hardware functional, which i spent my money on, regardless of weather or not i also purchased products at another company (ATI).

Plenty of companies have restrictions and I don't hear you guys spouting off about them. Apple comes to mind first.
there is a reason that i do not, and will never, purchase a piece of apple hardware or software. for any reason. ever. actually many reasons. this being one of them.

It's Nvidia's software. If they don't want it to run on everyone's hardware then that is their right, and you're a spoiled little brat if you think you should get thier product for free.
its also nvidias hardware. their software should also run on their own hardware. if people were bitching about nvidia drivers not working with ATI cards, your argument could hold water. but alas....

you must be posting while hopped up on percs, or atleast have not been following a single argument in this thread. do us all a favor and click here

http://hardforum.com/login.php?do=logout
 
I'm not stepping into this shitheap here, but for the record, Nvidia boxes currently state, in a very roundabout way, that you can only do Physx on Nvidia cards. So technically the warning is (was) there.
 
Seems it was just a bug and the news was not entirely true. Nvidia will update the drivers with the restriction in place. Hold on to those beta drivers if you want to use Physx with ATI without using hacked drivers.
Source: Anandtech
 
Oh wow - I felt long ago that this "should" happen, but never really expected it too...

Currently running an Asus 5870 and I have a GTX260 lying around... Anyone have a link to what kind of gains I could expect to see if I combined the two?

I've just never thought of looking it up since I had written it off...

Not so fast. This appears to be a one time glitch with the 257.15 beta.

Update (28/05): A fresh report by Anandtech says that the ability to use GeForce for PhysX in systems with graphics led by Radeon GPUs with the 257.15 beta driver is just a bug and not a feature. It means that this ability is one-off for this particular version of the driver, and future drivers may not feature it.
http://techpowerup.com/123304/NVIDI...I_GPUs_with_NVIDIA_GPUs_Processing_PhysX.html

Looks like Nvidia was not trying to mend fences. It just forgot to put the 'lockdown' code in its beta drivers. I doubt the WHQL version will allow Nvidia + ATI. It's like the forbidden fruit or something. I have no idea where Nvidia's aversion to multi-vendor gpu setups comes from. It's petty and stupid and ultimately denies them the profit that ATI users buying physX cards would have given them.
 
I'm not stepping into this shitheap here, but for the record, Nvidia boxes currently state, in a very roundabout way, that you can only do Physx on Nvidia cards. So technically the warning is (was) there.
That's fair, but the lock out happened right after Win 7 RTM without any warning. I have 2 nvidia cards which were purchased at retail 2 weeks ago (8800GT EE [no Win 7 mention] and 9800GTX+ [has Win 7 mention]) and neither has anything about PhysX limitations (my GT 240 retail boxes do). It could have been older stock, but it illustrates the problem for an average consumer. Both boxes tout PhysX as feature, an one specifically mentions Win 7.

The problem is that someone may have bought a card that claims PhysX support, and on a whim, nvidia later decides to yank the compatibility if you're not loyal enough in hardware purchases. That was not a condition prior to 7/30/2009. Petty or wrongheaded is a good description for that action. It smacks of a "I'm taking my toy and going home" fit.

To see something illuminating, google nvidia blocks ati physx for near universal praise of the temporary unblocking news today.
 
How?

First and foremost, Ati fanboys are really butthurt about this, and hypocrites to boot.

They foam at the mouth about how phsyx is worthless, and doesn't do anything, blah, blah, blah.

But then they go and hack the drivers to try to get it to run on ATI hardware. That is they very definition of hypocrisy

ATI fanboys aren't 'butthurt' about it. People that had an nVidia card and then upgraded/bought an ATI card are because they now have a few hundred dollar (at the time of purchase) paperweight. Why shouldn't they be able to use PhysX still? CUDA sure, but PhysX? Come on man. You can't be that dense.

GenL, the guy who made the crack, has just an nvidia card I believe. Can't remember exactly as I read a post he made saying that he does not have a dual setup (ati+NV) and couldn't test it. He just made it for others. Either way, that is not 'they very definition of hypocrisy'
 
Damn, I was really hoping this would be true. Maybe then more games would get PhysX support.
 
Nvidia will update the drivers with the restriction in place. Hold on to those beta drivers if you want to use Physx with ATI without using hacked drivers.
Source: Anandtech

Anyone know if the 257.15 drivers have already been updated to include the restriction? I just downloaded the package, but I don't really want to mess up my working hybrid system if I got the revised drivers with the restriction. If they have been updated already, anyone got an earlier copy of the Win7 x64 version?

Well, looking at the files, the driver files all seem to have older timestamps. I know those can be changed, and often are for versioning, but they don't appear to be manually set to anything specific. I guess I'll give it a shot. Worst case I'll simply have to do some driver swapping I guess.


I upgraded from a GTX285 to the HD5870 because it fits my needs better. I use GenL's patch to make my old 9800GT work as a PhysX card. Allowing my hybrid system to work will simply add one more PhysX user, allowing Nvidia to gain more of a hold on the market. Successfully blocking hybrid operation will not cause me to buy an Nvidia card, I'll simply stop using the card I already have, which means one less PhysX user and a decrease in the relevance of PhysX. Giving your customers a "my way or the highway" choice is a good way to piss them off and drive them away, even if the competition isn't quite as good.

If Nvidia's issue with this is truly that they don't want to support untested configurations, they should make it into a CoolBits-style hack. Allow it for people who are able to get in and hack things, but block it for the people who can barely plug in a new card. Clueless folks who just expect to install it and have it work won't be troubled by unsupported configurations, while enthusiasts like us can tinker with it and make it work if we want to deal with the hassle of possible incompatibilities. Because they haven't done this, that's evidence enough for me that they're simply trying to strongarm people into buying their cards.


Those CUDA specific features don't work on dedicated nVidia GPU's anyway, they are handled only by the primary nVidia GPU. The nVidia drivers only set the extra card to act as a dedicated PhysX unit not a dedicated CUDA processing unit or however you want to think of it.

You can definitely run CUDA apps on a secondary Nvidia GPU. At this exact moment, I'm currently running the x86, STREAM, and CUDA dnetc clients. This may be a limit in JC2, but it's not something universal in the Nvidia drivers. It may actually work better with ATI + Nvidia than with Nvidia + Nvidia, since there's only one Nvidia card for it to see. Wouldn't that be ironic?
 
ATI fanboys aren't 'butthurt' about it. People that had an nVidia card and then upgraded/bought an ATI card are because they now have a few hundred dollar (at the time of purchase) paperweight. Why shouldn't they be able to use PhysX still? CUDA sure, but PhysX? Come on man. You can't be that dense.

GenL, the guy who made the crack, has just an nvidia card I believe. Can't remember exactly as I read a post he made saying that he does not have a dual setup (ati+NV) and couldn't test it. He just made it for others. Either way, that is not 'they very definition of hypocrisy'

One more time, I'm not the one being dense. Nvidia gets to decide what it's physx will work with. If they don't want to work side by side with ATI that is their decision.

Don't buy thier product if you don't like it. I never said I thought it was a good business decision.

Keep in mind, I'm sure they don't want to have to deal with ATI people bitching about problems while have an Nvidia card and an ATi card in their system. I can understand that.

Cheers. :cool:
 
Which wasn't there until the drivers disabled it. They were never upfront about it until after they disabled it.



Only one with a below average IQ here is you. Nobody is complaining about not being able to run PhysX on ATI hardware, people are complaining about not being able to run PhysX on Nvidia hardware. Basically, Nvidia intentionally broke its shit after it sold the cards. Nvidia threw a giant temper tantrum.

And no, Nvidia can't do what they want. There are things known as "consumer protection laws". There are also things known as "business ethics", but those are (sadly) rapidly disappearing.



The correct comparisons would be:

Should I get mad and raise hell if I buy a Chevy and the A/C won't turn on because its parked in the same garage as a Ford? (fuck yes you should)

Should I be mad I bought a Kodak printer and it won't print cyan because there is an HP printer on the network? (again, fuck yes you should)



And you clearly don't understand the situation you're commenting on.

Well, since you think I'm the one with a low IQ, that doesn't say much about yours since I've been owning you with every post. Why don't you read up a couple of posts where someone posted, straight from Nvidia:

Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.


Do you enjoy continually being owned? Quick, make up some excuses to try and save face.
 
Well, since you think I'm the one with a low IQ, that doesn't say much about yours since I've been owning you with every post. Why don't you read up a couple of posts where someone posted, straight from Nvidia:

Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.


Do you enjoy continually being owned? Quick, make up some excuses to try and save face.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=149004

oh shit who just got owned.. aww damn to bad.. go back to being the 4 day forum n00bie you are..
 
Anyone know if the 257.15 drivers have already been updated to include the restriction? I just downloaded the package, but I don't really want to mess up my working hybrid system if I got the revised drivers with the restriction. If they have been updated already, anyone got an earlier copy of the Win7 x64 version?

Well, looking at the files, the driver files all seem to have older timestamps. I know those can be changed, and often are for versioning, but they don't appear to be manually set to anything specific. I guess I'll give it a shot. Worst case I'll simply have to do some driver swapping I guess.

I no longer see the PhysX option in my Nvidia control panel, but a quick benchmark run through Batman:AA verifies that PhysX is indeed working properly. I got an average of 95fps with PhysX set to High, compared to the 18fps I got when I didn't have an Nvidia card installed. GPU-Z does show the PhysX box checked as well.

Here's the URL I used, and the MD5 for the resulting file.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/257.15/257.15_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_beta.exe
0b45373dd0a5269e57304e3439f91b9c

Just for reference, most of the files inside the package are from 5/21 9:48PM (EDT here). The newest file is nv_disp.inf with 5/22 12:10AM. Simply having these timestamps doesn't guarantee that the files are the same, but different timestamps does mean that the files have been changed.

I'm downloading 257.15 for the other versions of Windows as well, just in case.
 
we are saying that we are owed something made by the same company, software to make the hardware WE PURCHASED WORK CORRECTLY.


i must be pretty damn entitled, because i fully expect to be able to use the software from one company (nvidia) with that same companies (nvidias) associated hardware in order to make that hardware functional, which i spent my money on, regardless of weather or not i also purchased products at another company (ATI).


there is a reason that i do not, and will never, purchase a piece of apple hardware or software. for any reason. ever. actually many reasons. this being one of them.


its also nvidias hardware. their software should also run on their own hardware. if people were bitching about nvidia drivers not working with ATI cards, your argument could hold water. but alas....

you must be posting while hopped up on percs, or atleast have not been following a single argument in this thread. do us all a favor and click here

http://hardforum.com/login.php?do=logout

I like how you prove my point. You get all uppity and think you're smart, and correct.

You aren't even knowledgeable on the products you buy.

You can run physx with the card you bought. Just not with another non Nvidia card:

Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.


Again, you and the other guy, try reading up on facts and using logic and critical thinking before you post. It goes a long way to ensure you don't look like you don't know what you are talking about.
 
I'm not stepping into this shitheap here, but for the record, Nvidia boxes currently state, in a very roundabout way, that you can only do Physx on Nvidia cards. So technically the warning is (was) there.

Shhhhh, don't point out facts. Some people in this thread are flexing their sense of entitlement and actually think everyone else "doesn't get it".

We get it, you want things that you aren't owed.

Nvidia, the owner of physx, says you can use it on their cards all day long. Just not with another non Nvidia card present.

And I"m sure there are a thousand legit reasons as to why, but the one I posted comes to mind immediately, and that is they probably don't want to deal with a bunch of whiny people who run into problems with the set up. Then they would have to troubleshoot their product and a competitor. Who in the world would do that?

Some of you guys must be teenagers or college kids.

Again, there is nothing to get mad at. You didn't get ripped off. A company is making choices based on their stuff. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Again, I think they would make more money opening it up.

Oh, and keep in mind, you're talking to someone who had a 5870 in his last rig.
 
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=149004

oh shit who just got owned.. aww damn to bad.. go back to being the 4 day forum n00bie you are..

Owned? How?

You posted a link to the Nvidia forum, and a post about the ATI hack.

Where in your mind did you make up that this changes anything I said.

In fact, it doesn't counter anything I said. It says Nvidia locked down it's drivers. Show me were I denied that.

Once again, it's their product, they can do that.

You still got owned, now you just look like you're grasping at straws.
 
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=149004

oh shit who just got owned.. aww damn to bad.. go back to being the 4 day forum n00bie you are..

Here, I know you like to point out forum posts, but let me show you, one more time, the facts.

Please read this and understand it:


Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.


Thank you and good bye. If you do not admit you are wrong or at least use logic or facts I will simply ignore you.
 
Well, since you think I'm the one with a low IQ, that doesn't say much about yours since I've been owning you with every post. Why don't you read up a couple of posts where someone posted, straight from Nvidia:

Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.


Do you enjoy continually being owned? Quick, make up some excuses to try and save face.

Part of the issue here is that fact wasn't advertised when a lot of people bought their Nvidia cards (specifically to use for PhysX). Just like removing the Linux stuff from the PS3, I think there really could be legal ramifications for Nvidia if someone wanted to really pursue it. The biggest difference is that the PS3 is a single, finished product while the ATI/Nvidia issue involves multiple components of a PC, which historically tend to have a number of compatibility issues. Based on how well GenL's patch has worked for most poeple, I think that shows that it's really not as bad as the picture Nvidia tries to paint as far as compatibility. I think they could easily get out of it under a non-technical judge with incompatibility sob stories, but I think one who understands the situation would not be happy with Nvidia.

I don't think this issue is as black and white as you think. Car manufacturers aren't able to void your warranty for using a third-party maintenance part (filters, fluids, etc.), unless they provide you with that part for free. In a similar way, it could very well be illegal for Nvidia to block operation of their own product simply due to having a second card of another brand in your system. They may be able to deny you support if they can prove that the ATI card is causing the problem (just like a car manufacturer can void your warranty if the third-party item wasn't sufficient for the task and led to the damage), but they might not be allowed to flat-out block it. Just because Nvidia says that you can't do something, that doesn't mean it's legal for them to tell you that.

Unfortunately, I don't see this going anywhere in the legal system due to computers being magical black boxes that nobody understands, and nobody caring enough about PhysX support to spend the time and money that would be needed to go through the whole process. Hopefully we'll see an open option for GPU physics soon, and PhysX will simply become irrelevant and disappear.
 
Do you enjoy continually being owned? Quick, make up some excuses to try and save face.

You still got owned, now you just look like you're grasping at straws.

Protip: If your a single digit noobie on these forums trying to get the rest of the forum to acknowledge any facts and/or opinions you might present, don't pound your chest and declare yourself "owning" anyone like a 12 year old. The second you do that, no one will take you seriously regardless if you are actually right or not. Also, don't concern yourself with other members acting the same way.
;)
 
Part of the issue here is that fact wasn't advertised when a lot of people bought their Nvidia cards (specifically to use for PhysX). Just like removing the Linux stuff from the PS3, I think there really could be legal ramifications for Nvidia if someone wanted to really pursue it. The biggest difference is that the PS3 is a single, finished product while the ATI/Nvidia issue involves multiple components of a PC, which historically tend to have a number of compatibility issues. Based on how well GenL's patch has worked for most poeple, I think that shows that it's really not as bad as the picture Nvidia tries to paint as far as compatibility. I think they could easily get out of it under a non-technical judge with incompatibility sob stories, but I think one who understands the situation would not be happy with Nvidia.

I don't think this issue is as black and white as you think. Car manufacturers aren't able to void your warranty for using a third-party maintenance part (filters, fluids, etc.), unless they provide you with that part for free. In a similar way, it could very well be illegal for Nvidia to block operation of their own product simply due to having a second card of another brand in your system. They may be able to deny you support if they can prove that the ATI card is causing the problem (just like a car manufacturer can void your warranty if the third-party item wasn't sufficient for the task and led to the damage), but they might not be allowed to flat-out block it. Just because Nvidia says that you can't do something, that doesn't mean it's legal for them to tell you that.

Unfortunately, I don't see this going anywhere in the legal system due to computers being magical black boxes that nobody understands, and nobody caring enough about PhysX support to spend the time and money that would be needed to go through the whole process. Hopefully we'll see an open option for GPU physics soon, and PhysX will simply become irrelevant and disappear.

In the bolded area. I agree with most of what you said, but the comparison should go like this:

Yes, I don't think legally they can block you, but if you do it they won't cover you. The problem is, it will cost Nvidia money. Lets say they troubleshoot a system for an hour and it turns out to be an ATi bug. They just lost money on parts they have nothing to do with.

And as far as a comparison, it would be more like putting a ford engine in a chevy and expecting to still get covered.

I'm glad you posted the way you did. Just a compliment. You didn't get all snotty and what not.

Like I keep trying to tell the others, I don't necessarily agree with what they have done here. I think they could get more sales. But I can sort of see why they did it, and they did specifically say that configuring an Nvidia card with a non Nvidia card would make it not work.

I can see why that would make people mad. So the solution is to not buy Nvidia. Don't shoot the guy who is just telling people that their anger is misplaced.

Cheers:D
 
Unfortunately, I don't see this going anywhere in the legal system due to computers being magical black boxes that nobody understands, and nobody caring enough about PhysX support to spend the time and money that would be needed to go through the whole process. Hopefully we'll see an open option for GPU physics soon, and PhysX will simply become irrelevant and disappear.

This.

I would rather see an open option that would actually get some wide spread use. God knows that I prolly wont own just NVIDIA cards my whole life, in fact these GTX275's I have are my first NVIDIA cards I've ever owned.


As I've said 2x's before, it's a shitty move on NVIDIA to do this.
 
Protip: If your a single digit noobie on these forums trying to get the rest of the forum to acknowledge any facts and/or opinions you might present, don't pound your chest and declare yourself "owning" anyone like a 12 year old. The second you do that, no one will take you seriously regardless if you are actually right or not. Also, don't concern yourself with other members acting the same way.
;)

I get what you're saying, but I don't care. I'm posting facts and to anyone who is reasonable, that's all that matters.

I'm 31 years old. If I post some facts, and some 17 year old still acts snotty and says I'm wrong, I'm not going to sit here and not point out his error.

At the same time, I'll eat crow if I'm wrong. I have no problem with that. :D
 
Wow...a bug that makes their cards more functional in more configurations.

Don't see that happen too often in any line of software programming.
 
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.


Thank you and good bye. If you do not admit you are wrong or at least use logic or facts I will simply ignore you.

While you may think that's 'fact' and all. That's just some FUD they threw together to tell people.

Genl's patch wouldn't work, there would be tons of problems people would have if they were using these beta drivers and an ATI primary card if that were true. Obviously not though.

It doesn't work because they (nvidia) want you to go big or go home. As in, stick with NV or GTFO.

Way to fall for marketing. kkthx, bai.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top