nVidia realeasing the power of 3

Skrying said:
And compared to the average computer few do use SM3.0 and HDR> Oh noes, Terra was PWNT!

People with average computers dont go to nvidias site and hyperventilate over the release of the "big 3", which means Nvidia didnt target the campaign at people that buy dells.

Oh Noes, Skyring was PWNT

computerpro3 said:
People with average computers dont go to nvidias site and hyperventilate over the release of the "big 3"

That would be why the banner is on a lot of computer hardware shopping sites...

yea...if u tel an AVERAGE PC gamer / user their graphics are by nvidia or ati theyl be like no! its geforce graphics or radeon graphics! :rolleyes:

good choice by nvidia IMO + this IS a major shot @ ATi

ATi this is your wake up call!

fl00d said:
Its just the release of the remaining cards in the 7800 line. woopyfkndoo.

With the complete 7800 series now available, there's a card to suit every budget - ergo the tagline; so dont buy 'old' (read, 'cheaper/outdated') graphics. Those of you for whom the GTX was out of reach, rejoice - you can now afford your own slice of 7800 heaven. Come fence-sitters, its time to spend your money!! :rolleyes:

So obvious, and so totally not worth all this ridiculous speculation.
that is NOT it. read the first few pages of this thread.

tornadotsunamilife said:
That would be why the banner is on a lot of computer hardware shopping sites...

Do you think?

95% of people have Dell computers. What percentage does it take for you to consider AVERAGE? That 95% of people have never even HEARD of newegg, zzf, monarch, etc.

Bottom line is only about 1-3% of computer owners worldwide will ever hear of Nvidias ad. Less will care.

Think people, it doens't hurt that much.

Zinn said:
Here, I've compiled a list of what it ISN'T and what it COULD BE according to the mighty word of Brent:

NOT 3 cards in SLI
NOT 3 GPUs on one card
NOT a triple head card
NOT good for consumers
NOT new 7x00s
NOT a PS3 announcement

(so far none of our guesses are correct)

POSSIBLY Multi-monitor support for SLI
POSSIBLY Nforce chipset related
POSSIBLY SM 3.0 / SLI / HDR
POSSIBLY 3 Processors working together (1 GPU / 2 CPU dual core)
POSSIBLY New drivers
POSSIBLY Holy spirit infused into graphics card

(Someone has guessed correctly!)

Bearing this in mind, and recalling past rumors of drivers leveraging dual core architecture, I would guess that the dual core CPU rumor is probably what this "power of 3" is. It is probably in their 8x.xx series drivers.

But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!

And yes, I have too much time on my hands.

This was post #87, bumped if forward for people that havent seen the fist 5 pages. I am still hoping for the multi-monitor, a man can hope can't he, don't kill a mans hope. please

Why arent people reading?

First, its absolutly not linked directly to a hardware launch.

Its simply a marketing ploy where nVidia is going to, pretty much, label 3 very key features that they feel makes a graphics card of today "new" as in "better then anything else". "Not obsolete"

3 features that the 7800 series has. This is all it is. What they plan to do is release a bunch of demos completely utilizing each of these 3 things to show them off. If you dont have a card that can do it, its obsolete to them. This is called marketing. Enjoy your shattered dreams.

Shifra said:
Why arent people reading?

First, its absolutly not linked directly to a hardware launch.

Its simply a marketing ploy where nVidia is going to, pretty much, label 3 very key features that they feel makes a graphics card of today "new" as in "better then anything else". "Not obsolete"

3 features that the 7800 series has. This is all it is. What they plan to do is release a bunch of demos completely utilizing each of these 3 things to show them off. If you dont have a card that can do it, its obsolete to them. This is called marketing. Enjoy your shattered dreams.

Yes it is marketing and the best marketing points out your strengths and more importantly points out your competitions weaknessess. The "3" features can no longer be labeled "futuristic" and ATI is really vulnerable.

Nvidia is baiting ATI to do a launch before they are ready (ala immediate availability) they are taunting them

If ATI gives in and launches 3 r520's lol then nivida floods the market with Ultras :D

DejaWiz said:
Only if one believes in such trivial things.
You know, that reminds me, it takes brains to understand the magnitude of higher-thinking! It's relatively quite easy to live a life defined by what you can slip through a test tube.

Thug Esquire said:
You know, that reminds me, it takes brains to understand the magnitude of higher-thinking! It's relatively quite easy to live a life defined by what you can slip through a test tube.
Thug: YHPM

The marketing campaign isn´t targeted at the enthusiast but more at the dumb average joe. Thats where the most potential sales are WHEN they win them over. They´ll tell them what SLI and HDR and PS3 is, probably not in the most correct technical way but thats not what matters, what matters is that someone does this and tries to get more sales from this part of the market. Also remember that this will be followed by products too, this "Power of 3" campaign is not a small thing for NV. but

MHO it comes a little too late, they should have done it RIGHT when they had SLI available because the NV40 can do PS3 and HDR as well. I guess they waited for the 7series with their improved shader and PS3 performance so that people couldn´t say "NV40 can do it, but its slow as shit".

I think they're gonna release the 7x00 line of cards on PCI-E, AGP, and PCI so everyone is happy :p .

karl76 said:
The marketing campaign isn´t targeted at the enthusiast but more at the dumb average joe.

Look at this thread...
It's called target audience....
And they got the rumors flying, spuring interest...with minimal effort...

Terra - Unless there is a lot of "dumb average Joe's" on this board?

Terra said:
Look at this thread...
It's called target audience....
And they got the rumors flying, spuring interest...with minimal effort...

Terra - Unless there is a lot of "dumb average Joe's" on this board?

I agree Terra, it definitly caused a lot of attention on many tech boards, but "we" are not the target audience of this campaign. Most of us know what SLI, HDR and PS3 is, maybe not everyone to full extent but we know what it is and what it does.
In my opinion the target audience for this campaign are the people that DON´T know what SLI, HDR and PS3 is. Of course NV is happy for the extra attention and I wouldn´t be surprised if the dude who made the banner got small raise. lol

Hey I just got a 7800GTX, as long as it's not new hardware I'm happy :p

Although if it is a 3D SLI type thing, they are basically saying I gotta buy an SLI mobo and another card *doh*

furocious said:
Gah hasn't it been said like a million times over, you DON'T need sm 3.0 to run HDR. Stop spewing that out, please.
i didnt say you need to have it... try reading COMPREHENSION. I edited it to make it even more clear.

I don't know what the fuss is about but im having fun speculating on what this is isnt and could be. I have a crappy 6800NU, so any news is good news for me. I enjoyed reading most of the comments and opinions expressed here and can't wait till the 11th.

Well, whatever they are releasing it will obviously make the 6800 series cards cheaper --- see --->: http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20050808PR206.html

So lets see what would make them cheaper?

a 7800GT dur...

MSRP
$599 7800GTX 24 pipes @ 430

$449 7800GT 20 pipes @ 400 <-- insert here and pushes everything else down.

$399 6800 Ultra 16 pipes @ 425
$299 6800 GT 16 pipes @ 350
$199 6800 NU 12 pipes @ 300 (? forgot core speed)

Funny though all of the cards are really already selling for those MSRP's so they should drop even more!!!!!

what about 6600GT's? They're going to $149 MSRP?

Doesn't quite explain the power of 3?

Unless they release a 7800 Ultra at $599, and push the 7800GTX down to $499 which its basically already at!! Then they would have 3 7800 series cards and it would all make sense!

MSRP
$599 7800 Ultra 24 pipes @ 500+?
$499 7800 GTX 24 pipes @ 430
$449 7800GT 20 pipes @ 400
$399 6800 Ultra 16 pipes @ 425
$299 6800 GT 16 pipes @ 350
$199 6800 NU 12 pipes @ 300 (? forgot core speed)

So it looks like we'll have to wait a while for a 7600 at least until most of the 6800 inventory moves out.

tornadotsunamilife said:
It isn't related to a new card release

Ok, so what is it Mr. Smarty pants?

Let me guess, its the new Nvidia motherboard which supports 2 x 16x lanes??

new mobo + 2 videocards at full 16x = power of 3 ??

chrisf6969 said:

Thats not totally new. My motherboard has full x16 PCI-E lanes on both PEG slots. Its called The NForce Professional 2250 and 2200 companion chip. Essentially two Northbridge chips each having the required lanes.

chrisf6969 said:

Like me and many other have said on this forum. It's hdr/sm3.0/sli

Sir-Fragalot said:
Thats not totally new. My motherboard has full x16 PCI-E lanes on both PEG slots. Its called The NForce Professional 2250 and 2200 companion chip. Essentially two Northbridge chips each having the required lanes.

The fragster has a killer rig :D :D

tornadotsunamilife said:

and NV is releasing 7800GT on aug 11th !!!

tornadotsunamilife said:

Just another part: The 3 proc thing isn't out of order. The linux 7675 drivers (ready but not released, are they waiting for the 11th?) have as their main new feature support for dual core processors, and major improvements in performance have been noted.
<edit>
Well NVidia quickly proved me wrong:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54863

BUT: this isn't the multicore driver I had been hearing about.
The rumored multicore version is supposed to be 30% faster than the old singlethreaded driver on dualcore procs, which would rock.

eastvillager said:
maybe it is inches? The power of 3 inches!

Hmm. Then again, perhaps not.

Could be, actually. Maybe it's a new support group program to make everyone with only large e-winkies feel better about themselves!

foofighter06 said:
1day, 7hours, and 5 minutes to go! :)

This better not be lame. :rolleyes: :( :p

It's just a small banner on their front page. AFAIK there was not a major press release sent out to the world that says "best tech evah"

2 rumors I have heard so far for the 11th that seem to have nothing to do with the "power of 3" is the release of the GT & a price drop for the 6xxx series.

I still say it has something to do with C51.

Looks to be, SM3, SLI, and HDR. If that it true, thats a pretty lame PR tactic.

fallguy said:
Looks to be, SM3, SLI, and HDR. If that it true, thats a pretty lame PR tactic.
Not so lame when one considers the millions of computer users out there that have never logged on to HardOCP or the HardForums that don't know HDR from a bidet. ;)

This could mean more business for nVidia, which might mean cheaper products for us! Unless supply and demand starts looking similar to when ATI has released new cards in the past. :p

lol - the announcement is not even out yet officially and already this is old news. heh

Relax, fellas. ;) Let's just wait and see what it is before slamming it down...whatever it is.

Hmm, so we are waiting for them to announce HDR/SM3.0/SLI. Call me dumb, but those are already released items. No need to wait for that.

I think it has to do with a newer driver that takes advantage of yet unreleased GPU feature that is similar to Intel's hyperthreading. One more day and we all find out.

DejaWiz said:
Not so lame when one considers the millions of computer users out there that have never logged on to HardOCP or the HardForums that don't know HDR from a bidet. ;)

This could mean more business for nVidia, which might mean cheaper products for us! Unless supply and demand starts looking similar to when ATI has released new cards in the past. :p

If its true its still my opinion, thats is a lame PR tactic. Why? Because they have had these three things since, what, Jan or Feb? ATi is about to have the same three things, so why even bother? Perhaps if they did this months ago, it would make more sense to me. But now, a month or so away from ATi having the same three things? No sense to me at all.

fallguy said:
If its true its still my opinion, thats is a lame PR tactic. Why? Because they have had these three things since, what, Jan or Feb? ATi is about to have the same three things, so why even bother? Perhaps if they did this months ago, it would make more sense to me. But now, a month or so away from ATi having the same three things? No sense to me at all.

you call it lame? i think its brilliant. NV is merely trying to increase the sales before ATI releases its r520. But i consider it more like NV is daring ATI to bring a card with those features NOW

Back