NVIDIA Pulling Plug on GPP

Everyone should read reviews and then figure out if the 4-5 FPS (usual difference in cards at the same price point, and that's only if it's in NVidia's favor) is really worth supporting them...

Like many people in this forum, I bought nVidia tech partly because of recommendations from this site for many years. I got into VR and built this sig rig to handle it almost two years ago based largely because of recommendations from this site that pointed out nVidia had the advantage particularly at the high end. I then upgraded this rig with two 1080 Tis because, let's face it, the 1080 Ti is simply a kick ass gaming part, especially if you bought it at launch at MSRP like I did.

Kyle was never an AMD shill and I have the receipts to prove it.

Is GPP really dead though? The three manufacturers that produce both brands of cards have already created seperate gaming brands for AMD and nVidia. So the damage is already done. nVidia may be pulling the plug on this in a bit of a desperate attempt to avoid getting sued or being forced to pony up big time for anti-competitive damages in Europe in particular.

I'm shocked to see nVidia pull out of this like this actually.

Is GPP really dead though? The three manufacturers that produce both brands of cards have already created seperate gaming brands for AMD and nVidia. So the damage is already done. nVidia may be pulling the plug on this in a bit of a desperate attempt to avoid getting sued or being forced to pony up big time for anti-competitive damages in Europe in particular.

Current GPP is dead, but that doesn't mean Nvidia won't try some other types of bullshit in the future. I would love to be wrong about this but history have shown, when you are in the position of market dominance, you tend to exploit it. What I like to know is whose head rolled on the floor of Nvidia HQ for this debacle.

Well to be fair, Nvidia just couldn't be bothered to address all the misinformation being thrown around. /s

I think it's likely the companies will put AMD right back in the lineup as it was. There's no reason not to even if they've spent money to create new branding since it would cost a lot more in the long run to keep the new brands which haven't really started yet. It takes a lot of money, time and effort to build branding. If there's no need to build new branding there's no point in throwing time and money at it.

Some of them might keep the new branding and experiment with it but I'd be surprised if the attempt is more than half hearted and it's not likely it would be some sort of exclusive branding for a specific line. If Asus has bothered to do any sort of market polling regarding the "Arez" line, they'll probably drop it fast since I think many people are like me and think it sounds stupid.

But they did give HardOCP credit o__o

I think the "we" was meant as in, "we" the gaming community/consumers, no?

Well to be fair, Nvidia just couldn't be bothered to address all the misinformation being thrown around. /s
To be fair if you just cast the gaze of just one critical eye on a certain prominent state in the world you'll see that people can be quite resilient in their beliefs no matter how much evidence and common sense you throw at them.

Nvidia gpp could have been a program to feed homeless people and they could still lose the PR battle because the bags the food was delivered in was green and people would latch onto the absence of tomatoes in the fucking salad.

Could have just name it, GPP is Dead, the PC Gamers win!

Eh.. I guess poor choice of words? But it's not like they said "We at LTT did it all by ourselves!!"

Going by what they said in the video, I really don't think they were intending to steal the thunder away from kyle, because credit was clearly given.

LTT has the biggest platform on the net and he tiptoed around the topic about as much as you could.

Now I am "the guy from HardOCP." My point is that LTT could have really pushed this for the entire community and they did NOT. Some take in the middle of the Wan Show that gets no views compared to his other videos? He did little to nothing for the entire clusterfuck that was GPP. "We did it!" No. That tweet is a sham, and and stain to ALL the other people that did take up the mantle, and there were a LOT of them.

Going by what they said in the video, I really don't think they were intending to steal the thunder away from kyle, because credit was clearly given.

When Kyle broke this story Linus himself gave Kyle credit and his experience in the industry.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Kyle, I really appreciate you digging into this after being tipped off by AMD. You got your facts together and posted enough information to notify the community while also protecting the sources that were brave enough to provide you the information. This is a major victory for the pc gaming community and tech press. It shows that we can still have a voice and stand up against huge corporations. Again, thanks for sticking your neck out there for the rest of us, this really couldn't have fallen into better hands and been taken care of in a better fashion.

Eh.. I guess poor choice of words? But it's not like they said "We at LTT did it all by ourselves!!"

But at the same time, he didn't really fought against GPP, so still look pretty bad to say "We Did It" on his title.

Part of me thinks Kyle should be a bit more humble about his role in this whole thing but a bigger part of me appreciates the call out he did to LTT about doing nothing. How's that saying go? "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Gotta have integrity.

Gotta have a big pair of Infinity Stones to take on Nvidia and win.

But it makes you think, the corporations could've won this by refusing to sign, but an editorial stops it? Hmmmm
Unfortunately (and sometimes fortunately) large corporations who have many investors can't make the decisions we or even the leaders consider "right" because a vote decided otherwise, or for some other business like reason. In any case, no decision is simple in such a large business, and someone may have even said something warning about what might happen if they did this. Well..."you can lead a lamb to slaughter", or something like that.

Part of me thinks Kyle should be a bit more humble about his role in this whole thing but a bigger part of me appreciates the call out he did to LTT about doing nothing. How's that saying go? "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Gotta have integrity.
Sit down and be humble! And stop telling Kyle to be humble! He just doesn't want other people taking credit for his work. I would be touchy about this topic also if I were him. He burned the bridge with nVidia over this. That's huge for HardOCP going forward and it's going to cost Kyle a ton of money out of pocket now because he's going to have to buy all the new Volta cards soon with his own money. Unless nVidia is very forgiving and understanding, which I doubt. I'm sure they're super pissed.

You said yourself in this thread you like to fight. I do as well but I also know I'll never win a fight with you here. Linus's business depends on access and he clearly wasn't willing to go to the point of losing that with nVidia like you did. I give you credit for that.

I do see your point but I do feel that if LTT had fight, he wouldn't have much to lose beside Nvidia, even then, I don't actually see Nvidia blacklisting LTT just because how big he is.

LTT isn''t really the type of people to take sides and risk their asses with major companies like nv, no? I'm pretty sure the majority of pc community knows that. And heck, I'm willing to bet anyone in the pc community that even gives half a shit about gpp or even knows what it is, knows that you, Kyle had the largest impact.

So Kyle, now that you have exposed nVidia for their BS, can you please do the same thing to AMD and have them shut down their viral marketing program? Or at least have their shills disclose their affiliation with AMD? I actually find AMD's shilling far worse than nVidia's GPP.

Looking back, I am surprise the big PC YouTube stars didn't really banded together to fight this given how big their audience is, they could really pull some serious weight behind the fight against GPP.
Oh yeah they could have SURELY. All we got out of them was a bunch of pussyfooting around. Gordon Ung did the best job of it. He told me before we did that interview, that he was going to be devil's advocate. Great! That is journalism, let's get it on. "We did it" from a guy that never asked a question of the source acting like he had part in it is sickening. He asked NVIDIA about it, why would he not ask me? Think about that.....

Looking back, I am surprise the big PC YouTube stars didn't really banded together to fight this given how big their audience is, they could really pull some serious weight behind the fight against GPP.

The unfortunate thing about Youtube “influencers”, as they are known, is that their income relies heavily on outside sponsorships and not from ad revenue from the site itself.

Again, integrity is something most of these Youtubers lack because they want to keep their revenue flowing by not pissing off their sponsors. That said, there were others that spoke against GPP publicly like JayzTwoCentz did:

)

Last edited:

This!!! Fucking this right here is why I shell out money on Patreon, why the [H] logo is frequently my wallpaper on my phone and PC and why this is the only forum ever I've kept frequenting for nearly a decade. It is so refreshing in this era of snowflakes and apologies to see BS called out.

"But despite repeatedly using the word “transparency,” Nvidia never actually explained what the GeForce Partner Program did to the public.'

...and they tossed in this gem...

"Time will tell, though the existential crisis over “crystal clear” branding feels a bit excessive when graphics cards prices are wildly inflated anyway."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/326...ics/nvidia-kills-geforce-partner-program.html

They probably just don't care. They're in it for the money and the games and if people like them that's great. Feels to me like they want no part in anything ethical controversial until it's over and they can celebrate.

I hear you but we're probably just a couple of months out from the nVidia 11 consumer series. Let's be honest, we're all going to look at them and if they perform at a certain level they're going to fly off shelves. The nature of humans is "What have you done for me today?" As horrible as GPP was or still is according to some, if nVidia has compelling products GPP just won't matter.

totally random,

how come i don't see this news story on the front page at all for me?? I only noticed it because it was at the top of the list for forum posts...

So I am going to change the subject here. Kyle , what's this about you suspecting no more hardocp?

I saw the post on amd's subreddit.

Hell of a way to go out, but even if the site changes, you should continue on using it as a tech journalism platform.

Can we as readers of the site support you enough on patreon 2 offset potential loss of ad revenue?

I want to support real journalism, not this fake shit that has been in every facet of news for the last 40 years.

And you are real journalism.

totally random,

how come i don't see this news story on the front page at all for me?? I only noticed it because it was at the top of the list for forum posts...

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. Maybe Kyle didn't want to gloat on the front page? I think it's worth gloating over though. :smug:

totally random,

are you on mobile? the window the article's in won't show up on there but it's listed there as a news article "nvidia pulling plug on gpp" below the chinese laser thing article.

I doubt Kyle is worried about himself getting credit, Kyle is pointing out how someone with such big platform wasn't proactive about it. Which is something that needs to be pointed out, I don't expect anyone else to do it but Kyle lol.

Of course. Linus has 5.7 million subscribers and 1.7 billion views on YT. He could have said a lot more this subject and it would have been much harder for nVidia to retaliate compared to Kyle.

Back