Nvidia Pascal GPU has 17 billion transistors

And probably won't be for sale until 2017.
Don't you read this forum?
Pascal will launch Q1 2016. I mean that's what everybody around here is saying. :rolleyes:

Kind of makes me wonder if Nvidia has anything planned for the interim. Pascal refresh? 2017 is a long ways off.
Are we supposed to keep buying $300 GTX 970s for 2 years after its release?

Pascal will launch Q1 2016. I mean that's what everybody around here is saying. :rolleyes:

Kind of makes me wonder if Nvidia has anything planned for the interim. Pascal refresh? 2017 is a long ways off.

WCCFtech is saying Q2 2016.

the 970GTX super clock is still at 343.95$ on amazon.
I have been waiting to maybe upgrade my gtx760 but I have not seen any really price drops yet.

Last edited:
Seeing as they skipped an entire process mode I wouldn't expect anything less than a major improvement.

Well, who am I kidding. If the next card is 100% faster, it shall be mine and the 980TI will be relegated to a second machine. However, there's no way I'm not buying a 980TI now with all the games coming out this Fall.

Don't expect 32GB on any consumer card. That is reserved for the super-computer/workstation versions. The GP100 that has taped out is the Tesla tier chip/card and may well be exclusive to IBM's Power PC architecture.

The price for one of those will probably make you crap your pants, too.

Titan P

Ill be waiting for the pascal ti version. Was pointless going for 970 or 980 only to see 980 ti come out later.

Titan D or I am not buying it. I've been waiting too long to make Titan D jokes.

They did "MFing"AA...

What PeeWeePee said is what a lot of us think. Smaller Pascal 2016, full blown 2017. After big pascal I wonder if GPU increases will go to hell like CPU increases have.

I lolled at 16 and 32 GB variants for these boards, especially when 12 GB is only available at $999.00. Probably the normal Titan at 16 GB for $999 and a 32 GB "Super" Titan at $1,999.00. I would expect the high end "mainstream" to be 8 GB in the $450 - $650 range. I would also wonder if it might get delayed from AMD's priority access to HBM production as rumor has it they plan to push as many HBM variants as possible between now and then just to soak up the capacity.

good to hear.

been waiting for pascal for a while now. well, wanted volta, but thats too far off. maxwell just aint beefy enough for the money.

i want 4k + downsampling + msaa + smaa. here's hoping pascal's pixel and texel rates are quite a bit greater than 100%+ of the 980ti.

only question will be get the first gen pascal, or the "refresh" later on (assuming thats the way it goes)

I've been wondering how many transistors have to fail for the unit to not function properly.

Oops big pascal is going to spank big Fury further and anything else which follows. All that spanking is going to lead the red team getting more redder. But will say, "Wait for the driver improvements!".

It's already taped out and TSMC is in full production with its new nodes. They could probably release it at the end of the year if they needed to. But they don't need to, so they will just wait until market demand on Maxwell starts to slide. Which could be awhile.

Oops big pascal is going to spank big Fury further and anything else which follows. All that spanking is going to lead the red team getting more redder. But will say, "Wait for the driver improvements!".

Keep pretending like Nvidia was the only one who had a GPu set for a process that didn't end up usable. Now I won't speculate performances but I can tell you they BOTH already had a GPU ready to go for a newer process. And that neither of them planned or intended to continue to use the current process we are on.

For the Record, running a GTX690, still skipping these GPU's until a new node.

It's already taped out and TSMC is in full production with its new nodes. They could probably release it at the end of the year if they needed to. But they don't need to, so they will just wait until market demand on Maxwell starts to slide. Which could be awhile.

TSMC has 16nm FF in production that isn't SoC?

The 970 has been a good buy since the day it launched. Maybe better early on since the prices have not changed.

I'd love to get a 980ti but that kind of price tag is too [H] for me. I used to only buy video cards at or under $250 but they've gotten me to break my rule the last couple of times and go a little over $300. That's going to stay the limit though. Since I change cards every year or year and a half there's only so much depreciation I'm willing to eat between selling cards. The 980ti, as awesome as it is, is going to crater in value near the launch of Pascal. The 970 probably won't lose more than $100-120 in value over the next year.

a Titan might come earlier before a GeForce 1080. As far as dates go GM200 taped out a year before 980Ti saw the market and there was no new tech/HBM to worry about. Late 2016 paper launch with volume in 2017 is only a few months more delayed than GM200 was from tape out.

Oh that's a good point I hadn't considered. But yes I suppose the first consumer card we will get is a new Titan, 6+ months ahead of the rest.
My lord those things are going to fly off shelves. 16nm, 16 or 32 GB HBM2, $999, +50% faster than the Titan X, maybe more.

The 970 has been a good buy since the day it launched. Maybe better early on since the prices have not changed.

I'd love to get a 980ti but that kind of price tag is too [H] for me. I used to only buy video cards at or under $250 but they've gotten me to break my rule the last couple of times and go a little over $300. That's going to stay the limit though. Since I change cards every year or year and a half there's only so much depreciation I'm willing to eat between selling cards. The 980ti, as awesome as it is, is going to crater in value near the launch of Pascal. The 970 probably won't lose more than $100-120 in value over the next year.

In % terms the value the 970 will lose vs 980 Ti when Pascal releases is probably around the same. I'm guessing around 50-60% depreciation for both. I get where you're coming from though, it does hurt less to stick with the mid-range cards.

Oh that's a good point I hadn't considered. But yes I suppose the first consumer card we will get is a new Titan, 6+ months ahead of the rest.
My lord those things are going to fly off shelves. 16nm, 16 or 32 GB HBM2, $999, +50% faster than the Titan X, maybe more.

Yeah no I highly doubt a 16GB HBM2 16nm GP100 card will go for $999, especially since cost per transistor actually goes up after 28nm, not to mention HBM2 will likely be (much) more expensive than GDDR5 chips.

20141218_b1.gif

Yeah no I highly doubt a 16GB HBM2 16nm GP100 card will go for $999, especially since cost per transistor actually goes up after 28nm, not to mention HBM2 will likely be (much) more expensive than GDDR5 chips.

20141218_b1.gif

The cost of GPUs at the retail level are primarily due to the research cost associated with designing the die, to be more precise, paying off the loans you took out to pay for the research, which can reach the billions. The actual GPUs dont cost nearly what you think. In fact to make a profit from just the marginal cost of a big die graphics chip probably starts closer at $150 than $999. Lower yields/transistor cost is a bigger problem for Nvidia than AMD simply because Nvidia's shareholders expect a much higher profit margin.

Nvidia will have to eat the loss in profit compared to 28nm chips because they know AMD will sell a big die 14/16FF card at a price point range regardless of what Nvidia does. It's one of the benefits of competition--Nvidia doesn't have a choice but to sell a big die 16FF card at an affordable price once AMD hits the market with their next gen solution. Sure, they are free to ask $1250 for a Titan 2 to maintain their 28nm profit margin, but once AMD hits the market a few months later, guess what? They can sell a cut down card at $650 or they can choose to lose the market.

Last edited:
funny i want to purchase the most expensive 980 ti available, the evga watercooled for 749, 2 of them. out of stock for over 2 months now.

newegg has become a joke, WHY?????

Yeah yeah yeah, there is a new chip in the work.
I think I heard this before.

Now, let's enjoy my 980 Ti at 1.55GHZ... :)

thank god i got rid of those MSI GTX 980 Ti SLI ,

too hot for my tastes with minimal performance improvement over my 980s overclocked. I will be glad to sell them off for 650 in 6 months to have 1 card that will blow them out of the water along with 780s TI in SLI with minimal power

Yeah yeah yeah, there is a new chip in the work.
I think I heard this before.

Now, let's enjoy my 980 Ti at 1.55GHZ... :)

you mean enjoy your loud over heated video card at 1550mhz "cough cough BS" that sucks power from your PSU and walloutlet. You must have the cream of the crop if you can run that stable in firestrike extreme with multiple passes. In fact let me see your score in 3dmark firestrike extreme at that speed

I dont believe 2016 for "good" cards. There will be manufacturing issues up the yin yang if they expect 14nm. They had to skip 20nm just to get the maxwell cards out.

Maxwell was set to 2014 from '12 and volta was the successor, not pascal
750 - 2/29/14
750ti- 2/18/14
960 - 1/22/15
970 - 9/18/14
980 - 9/18/14
980ti- 6/1/14
titanx- 3/17/15

yea ti version comes out almost a year later. so i think it will be almost 1.5 years at best before having a suitable replacement for 980 ti unless you want to do constant upgrades selling 1080 to 1080 ti. but then again who knows. it doesn't fall within 3 months unless you buy the 1080 late so stepup has its limits.

yea ti version comes out almost a year later. so i think it will be almost 1.5 years at best before having a suitable replacement for 980 ti unless you want to do constant upgrades selling 1080 to 1080 ti. but then again who knows. it doesn't fall within 3 months unless you buy the 1080 late so stepup has its limits.

The ti will be obsolete in 6 months. Windows 10 and nvidia will show your what a good direct x 12 card can really do with pascal circuitry

Nvidia pretty consistently obsoletes their GPUs in 1 year timeframes. Or maybe look at only flagships/Titan/Ti models. Might help to narrow things down.
Safe to say the 980 Ti will be dead sometime during summer 2016. With HBM/16nm delays maybe Fall. I would be surprised if Nvidia rides Maxwell into 2017. Blame AMD for that one... More rebrands, please. :rolleyes:

If we knew we weren't getting the "GTX 1000" series until early 2017 I would be all over a 980 Ti right now. Screw that noise... Another year and a half on the same GPUs which are already up to 1 year old.

Back