Nvidia Medusa demo available

Frostex

2[H]4U
Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_medusa_home.html

Click download on the left. Runs on my 8800GTX so I'm guessing it will work on any DX10 capable card.

Slow fps in the default 1680x1050 with 4xAA

But it's a cool demo, once its ended wait a few seconds and they will show you how the tech works the wireframe view of all the geometry on the model changing is quite cool.

Enjoy

Not. Impressed. If you were to go by demos, the Cinema 2.0 demo makes it look like the perf comparison between the 4850 and the GTX 280 is the opposite of what it really is.

I just tried this on an 8800GTS 512MB on Vista-32. Doesn't really work. It would not load up on fullscreen. If I set fullscreen off then it will at least load. I also set AA off, res to 800x600, 4:3 aspect ratio. It did load up and play the first 30 seconds or so really sluggish. Then the whole screen went black (not just the window) and then my computer BSODed. Honestly, the first part that I saw wasn't even that impressive but maybe you need the 200 series to see the god rays?

Possibly, it's not a technical limitation of the 8800 though, they fully support the same level of DirectX as the 200, unless of course it was written in OpenGL and the 200 card supports newer OpenGL functions. Just a guess.

Possibly, it's not a technical limitation of the 8800 though, they fully support the same level of DirectX as the 200, unless of course it was written in OpenGL and the 200 card supports newer OpenGL functions. Just a guess.
That might be the case. I know most of Nvidia's recent demos have been in OpenGL. The 200 series has OpenGL 2.1 support so maybe it is using something the GTS don't support (2.0 only I think)

Not. Impressed. If you were to go by demos, the Cinema 2.0 demo makes it look like the perf comparison between the 4850 and the GTX 280 is the opposite of what it really is.

The Cinema 2.0 demo seems to have some prerendered / static bits in it. They are two completely types of demos but I agree the Medusa demo isn't impressive visually. The Cinema 2.0 demo isn't representative of anything you're going to see in a real game though.

So whoever has a 280 GTX and tried running this at full max settings (16 AA, 16 AF) what was the FPS like?

Yeah, ran fine on my 8800GT but it was pretty damn choppy. Probably because of the 4x AA, can't turn that off because the settings won't stick.

edit: settings do stick, as long as you don't open the config again, I think.

Needs moar Angelina Jolie.

Oh wait wrong character.

It looks really retro, like a game from 5 years ago :)

It does work with 8800 GTS G92. I was tweaking out the clock speeds on my card so that was probably what did it. My bad. It ran sluggish, barely watchable at around 18fps (with a few short segments at acceptable speeds). Probably looks a lot better with a GTX 280. I don't know though. It could definitely use more Jolie.

This is not the most impressive demo save for two spots. The closeup on the guys face is just amazing with the facial hair and when Medusa transforms back to her natural state. That's a sight.

Back