• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Nvidia High Quality?

With the 78.03s HQ has no shimmering while Q has some. If you don't notice it then pay no attention to that.

HQ has a more crisp look, imo. Might be placebo effect but I only play on HQ. There very little to no performance hit in most games, so why not?
 
High Quality mode disables all filtering optimizations, so the IQ could potentially be hihger, but there is a framerate hit.
 
I play (mostly) Far Cry with it set to HQ, 2xS AA, 16x AF, vsync ON and get very nice, smooth, stutter and tear free frames. I will post some graphs this evening of a couple runs...

Some people say 4x AA all the way but I, coming from the old skool Q1, Q2, and Q3 era, need a bit more framerate than that.

And yes, I have an LCD, hence the vsync on and I force triplebuffering via a config file....works great!
 
TheRapture said:
I play (mostly) Far Cry with it set to HQ, 2xS AA, 16x AF, vsync ON and get very nice, smooth, stutter and tear free frames. I will post some graphs this evening of a couple runs...

Some people say 4x AA all the way but I, coming from the old skool Q1, Q2, and Q3 era, need a bit more framerate than that.

And yes, I have an LCD, hence the vsync on and I force triplebuffering via a config file....works great!

I'm pretty sure the nvidia drivers can enable triple buffering now. I'm on a CRT and I have that option if I want it.
 
Russ said:
I'm pretty sure the nvidia drivers can enable triple buffering now. I'm on a CRT and I have that option if I want it.


I saw that, but I was thinking it only did so for OpenGL? Will try it out tonight....thanks for the heads up...
 
TheRapture said:
I saw that, but I was thinking it only did so for OpenGL? Will try it out tonight....thanks for the heads up...

No idea, but when i tried triple buffering + v sync in NFSU2 the game went really laggy, took like 1-2 seconds for the game to respond to the controls, FPS was ok, but lagged to hell. So i turned it off and never used it again.

I'd rather have the tear effect than 2 seconds of lag :p.
 
TheRapture said:
I saw that, but I was thinking it only did so for OpenGL? Will try it out tonight....thanks for the heads up...

Ah, well maybe. As I said, "I have to option to do it." I haven't done it myself. And I don't have many new games (no HL2, D3, or FarCry cept for source), so not really planning to test it out anytime soon.
 
Back
Top