nVidia HD Audio?

Zoson

Supreme [H]ardness
For as long as I can remember, installing HD Audio always broke the hell out of my onboard or discrete audio.

Now, I'm in a situation where I want HD Audio to be installed so I can send audio over HDMI to my receiver. At the same time, I want to be able to output, say, my game sounds to the speakers hooked up to my computer.

So, I have a regular monitor hooked up DVI, and some speakers hooked up to my analog ports on my computer. I have an HDMI cable going from my other nvidia GPU to my receiver, which then goes to my TV... I want to be able to put a movie on, and have the sound for the movie come out of my speakers hooked up to the receiver, and be able to play games on the PC at the same time, and have the game audio come out locally.

Anyone know how to achieve this?

you need to set your media player to use the HDMI and your windows default devide on your onboard.
almost every single media player will have an option to send the sound to an alternate device.

Worst case you can change the selected audio device in Windows pretty easily. A little bit of a hassle changing it each time, but do-able.

Worst case you can change the selected audio device in Windows pretty easily. A little bit of a hassle changing it each time, but do-able.

problem is he wants his games to use onboard. therefore the windows default device should not be changed.

problem is he wants his games to use onboard. therefore the windows default device should not be changed.

You're right - I missed the part where he wants to do both at the same time. I assumed he would be able to switch back and forth between the two devices as required.

Has nvidia fixed the whole deal where if you install the hd audio driver it flat out breaks your onboard? Last time I installed the hd audio driver I had to format to get sound back.

Has nvidia fixed the whole deal where if you install the hd audio driver it flat out breaks your onboard? Last time I installed the hd audio driver I had to format to get sound back.

I've never seen the HD Audio driver for my GTX 480 break my onboard sound in any way. I don't see what they would break. You can have multiple sound devices in Windows no problem.

I'll give it another try, but after I've imaged my c drive. ;)
My new Pioneer VSX-1121 gets here today, along with a set of Martin Logan MLT-2's.

The last time i tried it was with my GTX275's. I've got 560ti 448's now. It was a very common problem.

I've never had it "break" anything either. Aside from the fact that it assumes you want the HDMI output set as the default audio device, I've never had any issues.

I ended up not installing the hd audio driver and windows seems to have negotiated it for me. the nvcp says there are no audio devices, but it works fine. not gonna bother or risk it.

I use Nvidia HD audio with my GTX 580. It works, but my receiver actually appears as monitor 1 in the Display drop-down box. My 3008 is listed as 2 and the Multiple displays drop-down defaults to Extend these displays. If I make any changes to these settings, Nvidia HD audio disconnects. It's very strange

Back