nVidia harassing ATI through ULi?

Why's everyone knocking Nvidia for making a smart business move??

Just b/c ATI can't make its own reliable/good performing south bridge, why give Nvidia shit? Nvidia isn't relying on anyone else for its southbridges.

I said this 3 months ago when the deal was announced that Nvidia, made a smart move that would surely f- with ATI!
(see my post in that link)
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028694520&postcount=17

ATI is going to have to buy the new ULI (branded as Nforce southbridges! ) :) Or god forbid get off their asses & make their own southbridge like everyone else in the motherboard market does.

For a guy pimping Nvidia's chipsets, you sure seem to be without any in your sig. Are they not good enough for you?

chrisf6969 said:

Because its a move that will lead to trouble. ATi will be set back a couple years, crossfire would still exist, but prices will go up.

Plus, Nvidia is going to have trouble, the justice department is supposed to get rid of bad monopolys, and this buisness move just won't favor them in the hearing. If a lawsuit folows, its going to set them back a couple years.

A little competition is good. low blow buisness practices don't help anyone

Its not a US issue. in the United States, nVidia is the only company making/marketing High end video cards/Enthusist chipsets. Are we forgetting that International Law applies to this little shin-dig? Besides, nVidia Aquiring ULI only affects the MAINBOARD part of the techworld, in which, nVidia has Intel to compete with, so would still not be a monopoly. Intel makes chipsets, ATI makes chipsets, SIS makes chipsets, ULI did.. there is no chance nVidia will become a monopoly, because there will ALWAYS be at least one other company in that market.. INTEL, the largest of them all.

i guess you guys havn't checked the ATI roadmap recently...

they have their new southbridge comming out soon (if my memory recalls, around the time of am2)... it may even be pin compatable with the uli chip... the uli solution was just a bandaid fix because their first southbridge sucked along the lines of the first chipset that AMD produced...

what would really make this funny is if ATI bought TSMC... hah... probibily not in the cards, but would be funny regardless...

edit:
here's a little snip i found in 1 min of googling HERE...

ATi SB600 Ready In June said:
ATi LogoATi new upcoming SB600 South Bridge chipset looks set to hit the market in time for AMD’s switch to Socket AM2 according to sources close to the Canadian chip designer.

There were several RD580-based Socket AM2 motherboards with SB600 on the first day of this year’s Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan, listed in the brief specifications available on their stands. Most motherboard makers are expecting to release these boards as close to the AMD’s announcement as possible.

More

Last week, ATi launches its RD580 chipset. Most readers didn't find it surprising that ASUS A8R32-MVP, the first board to support this chipset uses the ULI M1575 South Bridge.

Industry sources indicates that most manufacturers are quite skeptical about the production levels of ULI/NV 1575 South bridge products. Furthermore, bundle deals of ATi's own NB and SB will be cheaper than buying just the ATi NB and paying extra for a SB. The SATA II functionalities would also be substituted using Jmicron PCIe based JMB363 SATA II controller chip or SiliconImage Sil3132 controller.

According to information we gathered from roadmaps, it seems that Mass production boards based using the ATi SB600 should appear as early as September. The boards will be based on RD580 + SB600 with DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 support.

last one is old, but has a little more info... ultimatly it falls on the board makers to pick the solution they want to run with... my guess is that ati may adapt SB600 to work on the s939 platform...

Swordfish45 said:
Because its a move that will lead to trouble. ATi will be set back a couple years, crossfire would still exist, but prices will go up.

Plus, Nvidia is going to have trouble, the justice department is supposed to get rid of bad monopolys, and this buisness move just won't favor them in the hearing. If a lawsuit folows, its going to set them back a couple years.

A little competition is good. low blow buisness practices don't help anyone

Thats stupid, b/c Nvidia doesn't have close to a monopoly on anything. Not chipset, not graphics, etc..

Its not low blow business, things like this are done all the time. Mergers, acquisitions, etc.. eliminating competitors, consolidating.

Personally, I don't care b/c I'm going to continue to use Intel chipsets! ;)

No matter what you think about business tactics, how much of an armchair "hard ass businessman" you are or how much of an Nvidia fan-boi you are, the point is it sucks for the consumer to have ULI chipsets gone, they weren't just a temporary ATI Southbridge solution. I have a ULI chipset Asrock 929 Dual SATA 2 and like it very much, the SATA Raid and IDE setup is excellent, very nice low dollar mobo. Now it looks like the the DDR2/AM2 supporting upgrade slot will never have a chance and Nvidia will give about as much support to my board's components as it gave to 3DFX owners when they bought them out, 3DFX was one thing, a failing company, but ULI is perfectly viable.

why does everyone think that what nvidia is doing could cause ati to go out of business? ... worse case senario ati would have to sell/get-rid-of their chipset division... ati is more than just chipsets

3DFX was one thing, a failing company, but ULI is perfectly viable.

Apparently ULI thought it was a good idea to merge with nVidia.. They must not have been doing as well as you think, if they allowed themselves to be bought out.

Irritating. More ability for nvidia's partners to overcharge on nforce boards with fewer alternatives. I have an asrock dual sata2 uli board and its incredibly stable and has the features I need/want. Uli effectively being eliminated from the market just means paying more at my next upgrade instead of having a perfectly viable budget solution to choose from.

bleh.

Good business move (yay Nvidia stock) bad for the consumer.

For us enthusiasts competition is what drives us. Look how far we've come in video cads in only 3 years! (9800pro to 7900GTX) The reason we've progressed that far is because of the knock down drag out war between red and green.

The only incentive Nvidia has to make better graphics cards is ATI - if the competition goes away the 7900GTX will still be the top card 10 years from now.

Me.

Why does everyone think that this move threatens ATI's video card production?

chrisf6969 said:

Just b/c ATI can't make its own reliable/good performing south bridge, why give Nvidia shit? Nvidia isn't relying on anyone else for its southbridges.

QFT. It was a great move by Nvidia.

nvidia is smart. they have done something really great here, set the standard for other tech companies to eliminate competition.

By the time Nvidia ships all the southbridges it has orders for, the ATI southbridge will be more than ready. My crystal ball says so.

The other thing is that Nvidia is making money off of people buying ATI boards in the meantime.

Vengance_01 said:
can you say gay. Wow nvidia going low on ATI. ULI made a name for itself last year. Stupid Nvidia.

uh huh. so what the bridges are homos? they like other bridges? wtf do you mean gay?

Back