Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Detailed

I was very much considering the 7850 (single 6 pin ftw!) but in the unlikely event that it takes a big(!) price cut I'm squarely set on this.

I was very much considering the 7850 (single 6 pin ftw!) but in the unlikely event that it takes a big(!) price cut I'm squarely set on this.
well the 7850 can be had for around 200 bucks so the 660ti is about 30% higher in price. basically they end up with fairly similar performance for the money. factor in overclocking though and the 7850 has more value since it has more headroom.

well the 7850 can be had for around 200 bucks so the 660ti is about 30% higher in price. basically they end up with fairly similar performance for the money. factor in overclocking though and the 7850 has more value since it has more headroom.

That Legion Hardware review had the 660 Ti pretty far ahead of the 7850 at the resolutions they tested. It certainly wasn't fairly similar performance. I don't know how much things would change at 2560x1600, but I'm not sure who would be buying the 660 for that resolution anyway.

Still don't think it's all that great a value though considering the 7950 is at least as good, and usually better, and can be found for about the same price. I guess more reviews will paint a better picture.

That Legion Hardware review had the 660 Ti pretty much killing the 7850 at the resolutions they tested. It certainly wasn't fairly similar performance. I don't know how much things would change at 2560x1600, but I'm not sure who would be buying the 660 for that resolution anyway.
please read more carefully. I said the 660ti costs 30% more and that the both perform about the same for the money.

Last edited:

please read more carefully. I said the 670 is 30% more and that the both perform about the same for the money.

Huh? All I see is 7850 and 660 Ti.

of course I meant 660ti. if a card costs 30% more and performs 30% faster then they would both perform about the same per dollar.

That's true, but absolute performance matters. A couple of those (limited) tests had the 660 Ti above 60 fps and the 7850 well below, so you've got to factor that in also. And actually if the 7850 is $200 than the 660 Ti is 50% more expensive (although most of the Newegg listings are close to $230, which would make the 660 Ti 30% more expensive)..

That's true, but absolute performance matters. A couple of those (limited) tests had the 660 Ti above 60 fps and the 7850 well below, so you've got to factor that in also. And actually if the 7850 is $200 than the 660 Ti is 50% more expensive.
yeah the 660ti would be 50% more than the 7850 if it were $200 but I was thinking the 7850 is 33% less than the 660ti which is the same thing.

there was a 7850 for $200 the other day but it might not be on sale still.

$299 Canadian at Memory Express for a standard eVGA card. That means it's probably going to be $279-$299 US (leaning more towards less).

(Yeah, looks like they jumped the gun a few hours early). Now the questions are: How will it perform? / How quickly will stock deplete?

That review looks to have used old drivers on AMD (or more likely, like most low budget sites, they dont re-bench any old cards when they bench a new one). Dirt 3 tells the tale as AMD is faster with new drivers.

So yeah, waiting for a better review. Looks like it might actually force at least 7870 and 7950 price down though, which I wasn't expected based on subpar leaks. 7850 unfortunately may remain untouched.

Once again there is just way too much crowding and nothing under $240, it's stupid. The 7870 is just pretty redundant, yet there's a huge hole between 129 and 240.

We are using new drivers. 3GB and 2GB cards, stock and OCed. And we used NEW drivers in some games that benefit from those on the AMD card. We also threw in some older cards for comparison. We had a lot of prep time for this one and we know it is an important card to our readers, so we have what is one of the best reviews we have done in a while on GPU. :)

Come on NDA drop, I'm looking to jump the red ship, 670SLI or 660 TI SLI,

Xbit labs among other sites has a review up.

The Xbit labs review shows things more clearly (via their percentage charts at the end). It's definitely clearly faster than a 7870. And I just looked all 7870 are 299 at newegg. So if it's 300 7870 is gonna have to come down.

It basically trades blows evenly with a 7950 when both are stock at 1080P. Although it starts to fall behind at 2560.

Since 7950's are 320-350 they might have to come down too. Though maybe AMD will try to hold the line by thinking 1GB extra VRAM and better hi res performance justify the premium.

Like I said though, 7870 HAS to come down. 7870 at ~250 sounds good to me.

Edit: And it clearly loses more often than not against 7950 GE. So I guess that was the purpose of the 7950 GE.

i'll just link one chart, against the stock 7950 http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/graphics/geforce-gtx-660-ti/20_66vs795_big.png

Would have prefered for a reference card to be the focus, especially since the galaxy card changes two parameters. Whatever, not like I was going to buy one either way.

Would have prefered for a reference card to be the focus, especially since the galaxy card changes two parameters. Whatever, not like I was going to buy one either way.

By the looks of it, there really won't be many reference cards anyway. From all the sites i've scoured so far [H] is the only one with a fully reference board. So far EVGA seems to be the only one who even has a reference card, but it has a slight overclock.

You had me at "The new GTX 660 Ti is 54% faster than the 560 Ti and 102% faster than the GTX 460."

100% faster than my current setup? Once the price drops a little (magic $250 baby) I am soooooo there.

By the looks of it, there really won't be many reference cards anyway. From all the sites i've scoured so far [H] is the only one with a fully reference board. So far EVGA seems to be the only one who even has a reference card, but it has a slight overclock.

Looking at a local store, they list 915Mhz base clocks for cards from ASUS, EVGA and KFA2 (don't ask me, never heard of them either). Gigabyte is listed as 1032 (boost 1111). Let's see what we've got here.. base clocks at 980, 1006.. all over the place for the "OC" versions.

(And of course, here, they're all so close in price to the 670 at this point that you'd have to be crazy to get one)

Per the Xbitlabs review, the 660 Ti tanks when AA is enabled on Civ V. It doesn't look too bad on the 2-3 other games I care about, but it's pretty awful there. I wonder why that is? Even the 670 tanks pretty hard in Civ V when AA is enabled. Regardless it probably means I need to look at the 7950 instead since Civ V is one of the few games I care about.

Then I go to Anandtech's review and the 660 Ti is ahead of the 7950 even with AA on. Barely ahead but ahead nonetheless. This compared to the Xbitlabs review where the 7950 is clearly ahead. Why the huge discrepancy? So confused now.

You are not going to see hardly any "reference" cards up for sale. This is why we focused on the Galaxy OC card. So for all intents and purposes, "reference" is little more than a specification set.

The price of graphics cards at the moment is ridiculous. The GTX 660 is way overpriced for a mid range budget card. I only paid £180 for my ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II TOP and I refuse to pay more than £200. How much you betting Nvidia brings out a new GTX 660 some time later with extra cores. I'm skipping this generation. :(

Back