Nvidia gtx 1070 vram lottery (micron or Samsung)???

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
Is this a known issue?

It seems there is a shortage and a lot of manufacturers are using micron vram. It seems micron is not as good overclocker ;-(

I was set to buy 1070, now I see some users with strix oc with micron vram.

I saw users with MSI, asus and palit reporting micron vram.

I'm might have to take my chances with evga ftw and coil whine...

mine ordered on 7/9/2016 from newegg
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com <-- my card.
qwd.png

Last edited:
ASUS in my sig uses Samsung memory. I'll take a screen grab when I get home and post it like above. Purchased Friday, July 22nd from Microcenter in Colorado.

ASUSSTRIXPC1070.gif

Last edited:
I've had mine up +635.........I need to piss with it more. Samsung, and I don't hear coil whine, but I am deaf, I will stick my ear next to the case next round of benches.

upload_2016-8-23_0-35-9.png

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 XTREME Gaming GV-N1070XTREME-8GD Video Card bought 7/17 from Newegg! Samsung here!!

dgt5x0.jpg

Rumor has it that MSI and Gigabyte sourced Micron memory and that memory isn't overclocking as well. My EVGA uses Samsung, I can confirm that.

Going back about 10 years, I remember some Radeons that had some that were Micron and some that were Samsung. The Pro version of the card always had Samsung and that was the reason that they were clocked higher.

Fuck..

mKwzDHk.gif

MSI Gaming 1070 purchased from Newegg last week. Super satisfied with the card though, wanted something that was inaudible and not afflicted with any coil whine.

But yeah, +250 seems to be the memory OC limit. Any higher and I get graphical corruption.

Hey...it could all gtx 1070 produced post July are using micron ram. I placed order on evga ftw and the last review on Amazon.com says it uses micron ram. If you are happy with the card I wouldn't worry about it. Check this thread/user he claims by locking voltage using AB you get higher/stable oc with micron

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1070 Owner's Club - Page 259

Good luck!! I will need it too LOL ;-)

Fuck..

mKwzDHk.gif

MSI Gaming 1070 purchased from Newegg last week. Super satisfied with the card though, wanted something that was inaudible and not afflicted with any coil whine.

But yeah, +250 seems to be the memory OC limit. Any higher and I get graphical corruption.

I have to ask but since when did Micron deserve the 'crap company' moniker? I thought they were one of the better memory producers.

I get the lack of OC-ability but are they really crap?

I have to ask but since when did Micron deserve the 'crap company' moniker? I thought they were one of the better memory producers.

I get the lack of OC-ability but are they really crap?

Nothing against micron, but manufacturers switching components after all reviews were conducted with better overclocking ram.

Update: make that +225.:(

Still a good card. Still a damn near silent card. Overclockabilty isn't too good on the VRAM side, but OCs are never guaranteed anyway.

Just a FYI, Micron acquired Elpida back in 2013 and in 2014 the Elpida name itself was retired.

So the current 3 for GDDR5 would be Samsung, Hynix and Micron (replacing Elpida).

Any sightings yet of Hynix 8Gbps GDDR5?

Update: make that +225.:(

Still a good card. Still a damn near silent card. Overclockabilty isn't too good on the VRAM side, but OCs are never guaranteed anyway.

I had to bring mine down, I can bench a few runs at +635 but I can't stay stable with anything over 500 for more than an hour or so.

Gigabyte Gaming G1, purchased July 1 from Newegg.

Samsung memory. I haven't found the max stable OC yet, though.

TechPowerUp

Attachments

• gpu1070z.png
    gpu1070z.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,386
Last edited:
i've got a late june purchased 1070 g1 with samsung memory and i can't get a memory offset larger than 140 so ymmv even with this supposedly better oc-ing ram. additionally, some games may be stable at a certain clock while other games result in driver crashes. wolfenstein new order seems very forgiving, but crysis 3 and dying light are not.

I have GTX MSI 1070 X w/micron. So far poor memory. 8800 crashes instantly. Will try less later.

Core is pretty good though. So far stable at 2126 mhz.

High overclock on you card will limit your membership overclock. You can't have both. People say it's a voltage thing with the new pascal cards. Try no GPU overclock and just the memory and see how high you can get?

Most say just leave the memory alone and just go for high GPU clocks as that matters most.

I have a Gigabyte Gaming G1 1070 and it has Samsung on board. Have not tried to OC the memory. Gigabyte Extreme Gaming app is crap - as in it will not load did this before which I updated and it worked now it won't open again.

I just bought a Gigabyte Gaming G1 1070 and it has the Micron on board. I pushed the OC to 400 and it was fine.. got a little crazy and put it up to 600 and the screen when all crazy colors and it crashed. So i'll have to find where the sweet spot is. Didn't mess with the core clock yet, will play with that tonight.

Strange people go nutso over VRAM when it's not even a huge factor.

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z bough at September 2016. And mine is Micron Vram.

I got issue when using Optimal power mode, lead to Crash/reboot/artifact.

Currently the card working good 24/7 without issues under Global set to Adaptive Power mode and Custom Maximum Performance to every games I play in nvidia control pannel.(Temp Fix)

umd.png

My card clocked up to 2215MHz core clock and 8606MHz Memory clock without any problems witn Micron Memory

Attachments

• Micron Memory.JPG
    Micron Memory.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,093
Strange people go nutso over VRAM when it's not even a huge factor.

And oc'ing vram is regarded as an easier way to kill a gfx card than gpu oc. It gets the sprinkles eventually.

And also, the notion that users are entitled to a guaranteed level of OC is just LOL.

I only care that my min/max numbers match the advertised value of the card. The fact that my card holds steady around 1960 whilst being advertised at a boost of 1835 is just bonus (with absolutely no interaction or effort on my part).

Once I get around to moving the system into a case that has better airflow my boost might be higher. :)

And also, the notion that users are entitled to a guaranteed level of OC is just LOL.

We had a guy on this forum a while ago that bought 10x 5960x's ($10k in CPUs), OC'd the hell out of each one with excessive voltage and returned all but one. He got himself banned. :)

I run a moderate OC, but let's be honest you can't tell the difference between +10% and plus 15%.

EVGA 1070 Micron Owners: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 BIOS Update v86.04.50.0X.70 - EVGA Forums

Unnecessary if you have samsung chips
It's
I only care that my min/max numbers match the advertised value of the card. The fact that my card holds steady around 1960 whilst being advertised at a boost of 1835 is just bonus (with absolutely no interaction or effort on my part).

Once I get around to moving the system into a case that has better airflow my boost might be higher. :)

It is with some sadness that I say this, but it seems that for most partner cards OC is rather useless, with most cards clocking it at the 1900mhz range if you're really luck you can get 10%, big whoop. Overclock your memory a little bit, bump up the core ~50-150mhz depending on your card. Eh. I wouldn't even bother spending the time to max out my clocks, just drop them ~30mhz down to be safe and fuck it. Someone owes me a 2.5% boost and call it a day

My card is set at +420 offset on the memory and the card by itself clocks to 2015/2025 ish mhz :)

Mine is MSI aero 1070...micron. I'm just waiting for the bios update. I havn't had the need to OC my card yet.

Back