Nvidia gtx 1070 vram lottery (micron or Samsung)???

1070_memory_zpszwpucm7b.gif~original

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - Samsung memory.

6y8.png

I brought my EVGA GTX 1070 FTW on August 11, 2016. Per GPU-Z, it looks like I have the Samsung GDDR5 ram.

I was thinking about upgrading to the new 1080 ftw or waiting for the 1080TI ( as long as the price isnt 1000.00 for the TI ) but if Micron has this issue, should I just stick with the 1070 FTW ?

GTX 1070ftw.gif

Well, decided to try overclocking my GTX 1070 today as I am having some FPS hitching with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. My brother and I both have 1070 cards; his has Samsung GDDR5, and mine which I ordered about a month after him has come with the Micron GDDR5. On his, he is able to get an amazing memory overclock of 1300 Mhz putting him at an effective rate of 9300 Mhz. With my Micron equipped 1070, I am only only able to get a 300 Mhz for a effective rate of 8600. This is with the latest ASUS BIOS that is supposed to incorporate the Micron fix. We are both running the GTX Strix 1070 O8G Gaming editions of the cards. Quite a difference between the two, and as many of the review sites reviewed the earlier Samsung equipped cards, and as reports now show almost all new ones use the slower Micron I can't help but feel this is a bit of a bait and switch on Asus' part.

Last edited:
um no. you still got the speeds you paid for but not the extra boost you hoped for. the specs don't say anything about vram brands, never have and OCing is never ever guaranteed. you should know that.

Reactions: _l_
like this
um no. you still got the speeds you paid for but not the extra boost you hoped for. the specs don't say anything about vram brands, never have and OCing is never ever guaranteed. you should know that.

I know it runs at the advertised speeds, but on cards like O8G which are marketed towards enthusiasts who are going to overclock their cards I think it is just somewhat misleading to send reviewers cards which overclocked very well, and then after these review go out, change to inferior components.

I know it runs at the advertised speeds, but on cards like O8G which are marketed towards enthusiasts who are going to overclock their cards I think it is just somewhat misleading to send reviewers cards which overclocked very well, and then after these review go out, change to inferior components.

Samsung couldn't supply enough chips so Micron started being used. ASUS didn't cheap out, they didn't have a choice.

I think reviewers and the community needs to call more attention to this issue, and this isn't an issue specific to the GTX 1070 nor even graphics cards in general.

Any hardware revision changes should be publicly labeled. And I feel there should be massive public outcry to force this issue.

If instead we were to say reviewers are given the best binned samples I think there would be a massive controversy but this is really no different. And it has been an issue in the industry for quite some time.

Samsung couldn't supply enough chips so Micron started being used. ASUS didn't cheap out, they didn't have a choice.

The way I see it, if Asus wasn't able to get enough Samsung modules, they should have sourced out another part that performed equally or better than the one used in the review units. While it is more or less a given that all Samsung GDDR cards can hit 9200+ memory speeds, the Micron falls quite short of this. Had this not been marketed as an Overclockers enthusiast board I would cut them some more slack, but as is I think this is just a bit shoddy. Especially when there are other manufacturers such as Gigabyte that are still using almost exclusively Samsung memory.

The way I see it, if Asus wasn't able to get enough Samsung modules, they should have sourced out another part that performed equally or better than the one used in the review units. While it is more or less a given that all Samsung GDDR cards can hit 9200+ memory speeds, the Micron falls quite short of this. Had this not been marketed as an Overclockers enthusiast board I would cut them some more slack, but as is I think this is just a bit shoddy. Especially when there are other manufacturers such as Gigabyte that are still using almost exclusively Samsung memory.

It is an industry wide issue and trend and has been going on forever. Singling out Asus (or whomever) basically ignores the core issue. Gigabyte will also swap memory (and other sub components) silent as well, as well any other other manufacturer whether it is Nvidia or AMD based cards.

It isn't just strictly hardware changes as well. All EVGA GTX 1070/1080 reviews for example are basically invalid now as the new bios used completely changes the fan curve, so all the temperature/noise measurements in those launch reviews are completely misleading.

There really needs to be push back to publicly differentiate revision changes without allowing them to hide it under the same model number.

Hey all. Thought I would chime in. I got a Gigabtye FE card on Monday. It has Samsung memory. So far via Afterburner, I've been able to get +730(9460Mhz effective) on the memory. I can push it higher but it appears that error correction is used at some point to achieve which will more than likely drop performance. Not sure if FE cards are still being made or if mine was from an initial batch. I bought it on Amazon.

Last edited:
Hey all. Thought I would chime in. I got a Gigabtye FE card on Monday. It has Samsung memory. So far via Afterburner, I've been able to get +730(9460Mhz effective) on the memory. I can push it higher but it appears that error correction is used at some point to achieve which will more than likely drop performance. Not sure if FE cards are still being made or if mine was from an initial batch. I bought it on Amazon.
stop it youre gonna make them cry.

While it is more or less a given that all Samsung GDDR cards can hit 9200+ memory speeds, the Micron falls quite short of this
OCs are not f'n guaranteed. the card still meets their advertised specs so they don't have to make us aware of it. it performs at their specs and that's all that matters. ps, re the 08G the "G" is for gaming not overclocking

msigamerx.jpg
Im in the same boat with the same samsung 700+ oc with my msi gamer x i purchased from newegg mid november.

So this whole thing about every video card made after june is almost guaranteed to be micro is horse pucky based on this thread alone.

Still what do you get out of bumping memory these days other than a bigger e-penis? Nothing can saturate pipes yet, hell amd just blows the ram bandwidth and even size out of the water, and its completely useless.

Last edited:
Just got my Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme today. Just fiddling around with the clocks considering it has Micron :eek:

Attachments

• Gpuz.gif
    Gpuz.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 278
View attachment 13104
Im in the same boat with the same samsung 700+ oc with my msi gamer x i purchased from newegg mid november.

So this whole thing about every video card made after june is almost guaranteed to be micro is horse pucky based on this thread alone.

Still what do you get out of bumping memory these days other than a bigger e-penis? Nothing can saturate pipes yet, hell amd just blows the ram bandwidth and even size out of the water, and its completely useless.

Yeah I think you're pretty much spot on. In synthetic benchmarks it does help, but running the GTA V benchmark last night didn't net any FPS gains vs lowering the mem speed to +700Mhz. So as of now my my setup is @ +215 and +700. I may mess with the core a bit more over the weekend but as of now, I'm extremely satisfied with this card. Not seeing temps over 65C which is excellent for a blower style cooling solution.

Just received mine from Amazon, 01/13. Per GPU-Z, running Micron here. I'll dabble with overclocking and report back.

My Zotac 1070 is a Micron as well. I'll pop the link up for the new bios for it when I get home. Props to Zotac for the 1 day turn around for it. Glad I've been buying from them since the 9XX series.

just got my Gigabyte G1 Gaming card a few days ago from Amazon...Micron memory...but it came with the latest BIOS that supposedly fixes the Micron issue

always some issue nowadays with the step down model from Nvidia...with the 970 it was the VRAM and now the 1070 had some overclocking/stability issues with Micron memory...luckily they rolled out a BIOS update that fixed things so the disaster was not on the same level as the 970 VRAM

gpuz.jpg

Last edited:
20170305_022543.jpg
my EVGA 1070 FTW2 has Micron RAM. Both of them do... cant get more then +25MHz for RAM over clock.

FTW2.PNG

Last edited:
a2f.png

EVGA 1070 Gaming ACX 3.0

+600 on RAM rock stable 650 Artifact kicks in and 700 PC froze up.

Card is 1 week old so maybe newer batches of Micro ram are better?
Only bitch is the low power target of 112% on the Gaming cards~_~ it's either 2195 core and +250 ram or 2120 core and +600 ram can't have both due to power target really sad EVGA crippled the card that hard 116% and it would have owned.

I might be wrong but I thought the coil whine comes from the capacitors and has nothing to do with the memory

Back