NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4090 Updated With AD102-301 GPU

erek

[H]F Junkie
What about early adopters on the older revision? do we get retroactive compensation? :( i want my new gpu :(

"While there were no reports that the GeForce RTX 4090 will be on the update path, an updated GeForce RTX 4090 has been shipped to Redditor "cavityserach123." The card in question keeps the same Device PCI ID in GPU-Z, but the Sub ID has been changed, suggesting that it won't be possible to flash it with the BIOS of the previous AD102-300 based RTX 4090."

TQIxTtICSo3oJzTf.jpg

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/305678/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-updated-with-ad102-301-gpu

Lower power limit? I wonder if they're trying to improve the 'E' in their ESG score.

Well, this is overall a pretty good thing, based on the hardware breakdowns from other sites the 4090 had a very complicated power delivery system, that needed constant monitoring. IF I understand how they supposedly made changes to the voltage comparator then this makes it a slightly cheaper board and chip and should improve the card's ability to be undervolted and improve efficiency at lower loads. Net consumer win?

Well, this is overall a pretty good thing, based on the hardware breakdowns from other sites the 4090 had a very complicated power delivery system, that needed constant monitoring. IF I understand how they supposedly made changes to the voltage comparator then this makes it a slightly cheaper board and chip and should improve the card's ability to be undervolted and improve efficiency at lower loads. Net consumer win?

Maybe. If undervolting works out.

I kind of highly doubt the consumer will see much if any of that cheaper power delivery reflected in end user pricing. It will go straight to the bottom line of Nvidia (for FE boards) and the AIB's (for everything else) probably.

Would be good for consumer if it is part of avoiding any of the overheating connector issues package

I kind of highly doubt the consumer will see much if any of that cheaper power delivery reflected in end user pricing. It will go straight to the bottom line of Nvidia (for FE boards) and the AIB's (for everything else) probably.
Maybe but it at least gives them room so if they did need to drop the price by $100 for whatever reason they aren't going to complain as much.
But yeah more margins for the margin god.

To be fair a lot of AIB model were quite overkill (ready for 600watt affair) and quite above MSRP, I do not imagine Nvidia will pass their rebate to people, but that could let AIBs make money closer to AIB with more reasonable design in the future ?

Would be good for consumer if it is part of avoiding any of the overheating connector issues package

Every incident I've seen pins overheating of the GPU power connector to improper user installation, not an inadequate design whose conductors can't handle the current.

It could be argued the plug/socket could have been designed better to be easier to seat properly, or placed on the board with better consideration to typical case designs, but that's not relevant here.

but that's not relevant here
Did the 3090ti-4070ti-4080 that share the same connector saw those issue ?

I would imagine maybe and maybe at the same rate and it just less a good time for those news to spread than when the new generation was hot click, but if not something was fix or is different.

Wait but the 490 is already extremely cool (even noticed 5c cooler on water which I wasn't even expecting) so what is the point of this maybe higher clock speeds?

Wait but the 490 is already extremely cool (even noticed 5c cooler on water which I wasn't even expecting) so what is the point of this maybe higher clock speeds?
The little text on the link explain the advantage:
cheaper boards, lower build cost, and thus a lower price/higher profit,

A lot of it would have probably been possible on a refresh made on the existing GPU, but cooler-less power mean that a lot of things (power delivery side and cooling side) around the gpu can get cheaper.

Could make a future 4090TI easier to manage has well, marketing wise you maybe want to launch new smaller model of 4070-4080-4090 that take advantage at the same time has a new 4090TI.

The little text on the link explain the advantage:
cheaper boards, lower build cost, and thus a lower price/higher profit,

A lot of it would have probably been possible on a refresh made on the existing GPU, but cooler-less power mean that a lot of things (power delivery side and cooling side) around the gpu can get cheaper.

Could make a future 4090TI easier to manage has well, marketing wise you maybe want to launch new smaller model of 4070-4080-4090 that take advantage at the same time has a new 4090TI.
Not sure if a Ti version is even worth it. Unless there are some major enhancements because as it is now the last 200w of power net a few frames doesn't seem worth it.

Not sure if a Ti version is even worth it. Unless there are some major enhancements because as it is now the last 200w of power net a few frames doesn't seem worth it.
If the yield of perfect die is high enough it could become a bit of a waste to sell 100% of them cut down if we ever enter a world where they cannot sell all the RTX 6000 they can make, once that happen I do not see why they would not do a 4090ti, like the 3090ti/6950xt it does not need to be a good value for the added cost-power envelope, etc... to exist and sales to the want the best of the best crowd.

Unless there are some major enhancements
Just going from 16384 core to 18176 core (specially with what seem the thermal-power room for them to be in a nice efficacy range) and the higher memory clock, seem to enough for the standard ti version upgrade of a 10%-19% boost depending on the scenario.

When was the last time that over the full life of a generation that original highest offer did not get a Ti or otherwise named upgrade ? Would be a strange first one, specially that the design was from the start strong enough to support the Ti version power-heat without much problem it seem and that it is being sold on the professional field already.

Bold of you to assume NVidia won't increase the price they charge AIBs for the chip to capture any potential savings from being able to use cheaper power delivery. Jensen's shiny kitchen stuff isn't going to pay for itself afterall.

Back