NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X Video Card PREVIEW @ [H]

I think you may be good on your PSU. I'm running two 780s on a 750W Seasonic stock clocks with no issues. I think power draw would be about the same.

Hey guys do you rekon if I bought 2 of these babies my PSU is enough for my rig:

Corsair AX860
i7-5930K @ 4.2GHz
4x4GB HyperX @ 2400MHz
MSI X99s Gaming 7
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
Intel330 128GB SSD
WD 2TB HDD
LG Blu-Ray writer

Or would I need to upgrade PSU aswell? I don't have overclocking it in mind.
currently using 2x MSI GTX 980 Gamings.
For regular normal gaming you are fine. Now if you are going to run full load cpu tests and full load gpu benchmarks at the same time then you would be pushing that psu very hard. ;)

Power consumption might be an issue if really ocing the cards but it seems silly to spend 2 grand on gpus and not oc them as thats a lot of wasted performance at your 4k res.

Hey guys do you rekon if I bought 2 of these babies my PSU is enough for my rig:

Corsair AX860
i7-5930K @ 4.2GHz
4x4GB HyperX @ 2400MHz
MSI X99s Gaming 7
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
Intel330 128GB SSD
WD 2TB HDD
LG Blu-Ray writer

if it were me, i'd get a new psu. never know, you may want to overclock the cards at some point and they're drawing 300w+ with the crazy clocks they all seem to be achieving. that cpu is pulling some juice overclocked as well.

ikG5suW.jpg

For regular normal gaming you are fine. Now if you are going to run full load cpu tests and full load gpu benchmarks at the same time then you would be pushing that psu very hard. ;)

Power consumption might be an issue if really ocing the cards but it seems silly to spend 2 grand on gpus and not oc them as thats a lot of wasted performance at your 4k res.

if it were me, i'd get a new psu. never know, you may want to overclock the cards at some point and they're drawing 300w+ with the crazy clocks they all seem to be achieving. that cpu is pulling some juice overclocked as well.

Well the reason I wasn't thinking of overclocking these cards is because they are already rated at running 84 deg C stock. I am not putting them under water, so I am a bit worried about OCing them and them getting hotter.

Well the reason I wasn't thinking of overclocking these cards is because they are already rated at running 84 deg C stock. I am not putting them under water, so I am a bit worried about OCing them and them getting hotter.

It's more a trade off with how much noise you can tolerate. It may be 84C, but the fans are probably around 40-50% - I honestly didn't check but I couldn't even hear them. Overclocking 10-15% doesn't change power usage much since you don't have to up voltage.

I'll just say "to each their own" on this one but don't think the card is thermally struggling, it's just operating at low RPMs.

It's more a trade off with how much noise you can tolerate. It may be 84C, but the fans are probably around 40-50% - I honestly didn't check but I couldn't even hear them. Overclocking 10-15% doesn't change power usage much since you don't have to up voltage.

I'll just say "to each their own" on this one but don't think the card is thermally struggling, it's just operating at low RPMs.

Well fair enough, if I get these cards and I can OC them without raising thermals much, then I guess I will do it. I just don't like the idea of cards running over 80-84 C in my case even if they can handle it. Main reason I have steered clear of AMD cards.

Looks like EVGA (details tab) has also mis-printed the minimum/recommended system RAM requirements of 24 & 48+GB.

"24 GB system memory (48 GB or higher recommended)"

Interesting.

Actually if you read the forums listed here:

http://forums.evga.com/System-Requirements-for-Titan-X-m2310062.aspx#2310149

The manual is misprinted and the website from Nvidia is accurate. This is supposedly confirmed by the EVGA tech guy who said this is directly from Nvidia.

That being said you also do not need the 24GB min memory UNLESS the games you are running is using MORE than the 12GB the video card comes with as a memory swap. Something we will probably not see happen for quite some time. But if you are looking to future proof your system this is something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Who recommends an unbalanced memory setup? (24 and 48). The missing dash statement was also from nVidia, iirc. Anyway it doesn't really matter.

Just for people wanting to SLI. Looks like the Maxwell SLI voltage bug is still around for Titan X.

That means spending $2000 will give you some issue's with overclocking in SLI.

Good luck!

Corsair AX860
i7-5930K @ 4.2GHz
4x4GB HyperX @ 2400MHz
MSI X99s Gaming 7
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
Intel330 128GB SSD
WD 2TB HDD
LG Blu-Ray writer

~830W while benching via Fire Strike Extreme - heavily OC'd:

(click to enlarge)

Actually if you read the forums listed here:

http://forums.evga.com/System-Requirements-for-Titan-X-m2310062.aspx#2310149

The manual is misprinted and the website from Nvidia is accurate. This is supposedly confirmed by the EVGA tech guy who said this is directly from Nvidia.

That being said you also do not need the 24GB min memory UNLESS the games you are running is using MORE than the 12GB the video card comes with as a memory swap. Something we will probably not see happen for quite some time. But if you are looking to future proof your system this is something to keep in mind.

NVIDIA rep on NeoGAF says no:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156338071&postcount=210

TITAN X manual says no:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GTX_TITAN_X_User_Guide.pdf

Common sense says no. While 2-4GB is probably a bit lenient. It's not 24-48GB. There are reviews out there with 16GB systems in use that did not mention anything.

NVIDIA rep on NeoGAF says no:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156338071&postcount=210

TITAN X manual says no:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GTX_TITAN_X_User_Guide.pdf

Common sense says no. While 2-4GB is probably a bit lenient. It's not 24-48GB. There are reviews out there with 16GB systems in use that did not mention anything.

I can only hope so - there's conflicting information out there - would save me $150 from having to buy another 16GB of RAM :D

~830W while benching via Fire Strike Extreme - heavily OC'd:

(click to enlarge)

Does that mean I will be fine with 850W PSU, or is that 830W output to close to be safe and I should upgrade over 850W?

Does that mean I will be fine with 850W PSU, or is that 830W output to close to be safe and I should upgrade over 850W?

No doubt you will want a much higher P/S. Don't want to even near max your P/S. 1000watt or 1200WATT would be best.

Yeah go with a 1000w psu to play it safe. NEVER I MEAN NEVER!! skimp on power supplies. If its close to the full draw I would go ahead and get a bigger on.

Way too much money for a video card. Most I have ever spent is $400 but mostly my video cards are in the $200 region.

I did buy the original Titan but I'm not feeling very compelled to buy this one. A lot of games I play on PC now (mostly indie titles) aren't GPU demanding, and only reason I swapped my Titan for a 980 was for the HDMI 2.0 support. Probably will wait another 2-3 years before upgrading.

So finally they arrived, and I couldn't be happier. I can pretty much up the details to max now, as VRAM was limiting me before. Using 1 980 as a dedicated PhysX card. Are there any 1 slot cards which can provide similar PhysX capabilities? The cards are noisier than the 980s, but I can live with it.

So finally they arrived, and I couldn't be happier. I can pretty much up the details to max now, as VRAM was limiting me before. Using 1 980 as a dedicated PhysX card. Are there any 1 slot cards which can provide similar PhysX capabilities? The cards are noisier than the 980s, but I can live with it.

750 Ti would fit the bill nicely - but I do not believe there is a one slot one. There are plenty that do not need any power outside of the PCIe slot power.

750 Ti would fit the bill nicely - but I do not believe there is a one slot one. There are plenty that do not need any power outside of the PCIe slot power.

They are kinda short though - if he was worried about interfering with his blower? Might not get in the way.

I'm not worried about the power. I want to add in another couple expansion cards that both require PCI Express, but limited to 1 right now due to 3 graphics cards.

Yeah go with a 1000w psu to play it safe. NEVER I MEAN NEVER!! skimp on power supplies. If its close to the full draw I would go ahead and get a bigger on.

Completely agree 1000% - the PSU it seems to me sooo over looked in a system and it's like the heart of a computer setup - if you don't have a good ticker you have a good chance of flatlining.

Ok guess I'll grab one of the Seasonic Platinum 1000 or 1050W PSU's. I think they make the Corsair 860W that I got.

lol people still actually do this. I've never had a problem running physix of of one newer card. Just don't see the point anymore lol

Acoustically, Titan X sounds exactly like Titan. It does report a degree or two higher. In Heaven, oc vs oc it is just a bit over 60% faster (2560x1600 extreme settings). That's custom bios on the Titan and stock bios on the Titan X. Waiting a week or two for bios hackers to settle on a best edit.

I am having trouble breaking 125% TDP (power limit triggers).... I am wondering if I have to solder the shunt resistors to do it. Doesn't seem to matter what I do to the BIOs it doesn't want to go over. I did get the card voltage locked at 1.3. I am trying to get a BIOs ready for my waterblocks...

Eh, it's just different priorities. My first PC cost about $5000, and that was in 1982, and we're not even talking a top of the line machine here. Around 1990 I purchased a Roland MT-32 ($500), which is about $900 today, and that was just a sound card. It's mainly that computers and their components have become so cheap now, people aren't use to spending much money on them. If you have a 4k monitor (or two), yes, I think SLI+ Titan X's might be worth it.

I'm with you. I remember my first rig. $7K for a XT and 20meg harddrives. Everything IBM could put in one or next to the case. Computers are cheap now days. To overclock the 8080 2mhz was feat. Even took the top covers off the 20meg Seagates and clear topped them. Then modded the case so you could see your drives working. :) I set here at my desk looking at a 2007 WD Raptor Clear Top 150gig drive. And it amazes me how far the industry has come and how much people complain about money and growth.

They are kinda short though - if he was worried about interfering with his blower? Might not get in the way.

Should be OK - I have a short card (Creative Sound Blaster ZxR) - about the same size of the 750 Ti (have one in my other box) - next to my TITAN X's and because it is short - it does not block the intake/blower:

(click to enlarge)

I am having trouble breaking 125% TDP (power limit triggers).... I am wondering if I have to solder the shunt resistors to do it. Doesn't seem to matter what I do to the BIOs it doesn't want to go over. I did get the card voltage locked at 1.3. I am trying to get a BIOs ready for my waterblocks...

So just as an update. I fixed the TDP issue - I just had to raise the nominals in the power table.

I think I'm happy with this BIOs except if I try to go over 1600 Mhz it downclocks to 594 and stays there until I reboot. 1599 is fine though (and draws around 388 watts). I can't really say if it's stable or not because my temps go from 40C to 80C in about 30 seconds lol.

I probably wont' get my watercooling parts until next week or maybe longer....

w00t my EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X Superclocked just was shipped from Newegg today - should get it later this week - was lucky to snag one on 3/20/2015 :D

w00t my EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X Superclocked just was shipped from Newegg today - should get it later this week - was lucky to snag one on 3/20/2015 :D

Did you have that price mark up with the stupid wallet too? Mine shipped today as well and I'm looking forward to see what it can do.

Got my Titan X today. OC's like a boss......1.4 with no probs.

Got my Titan X today. OC's like a boss......1.4 with no probs.

Try gaming for 2-3 hours. I've had to slowly drop my overclocks, black screen tdr to desktop after extended gaming sessions, I'm at +175 core now.

Back