NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Preview

HardOCP News

[H] News
PC Perspective has posted a preview of the upcoming GeForce GTX TITAN from NVIDIA. This preview features no benchmarks or performance numbers but there is still some pretty good info here.

We can once again aim for 1ghz overclocks :p

edit: 1100mhz clocks?!?! Voltage control?!?!?!
Coooool.

Also, +1 for the mention of Korean IPS displays. Woot

Last edited:
The official GeForce .com website has a performance graph vs. a 680 under the Titan info area.

heh - despite the drivers sucking on the AMD side -- I'll keep my two 7970's @ 1200Mhz.

I like how they show a rig with *$3000 fucking dollars worth* of GPU's inside of it... like anyone will be able to build a rig like that on a regular basis.

heh - despite the drivers sucking on the AMD side -- I'll keep my two 7970's @ 1200Mhz.

I like how they show a rig with *$3000 fucking dollars worth* of GPU's inside of it... like anyone will be able to build a rig like that on a regular basis.

$3000 is like an entry model Apple. :D

Wonder how the auto temp overclocking would work on Water cooling.. If the card was like 650-700 I might think about it but 1k Thats just way to much. I'll just pick up a second 7970.

I want one... but DAMN is it expensive.

Going to wait for the GTX 780 (or 685/785/880 whatever it's going to be called) first though. I've heard it's only going to be a process shrink of the 680, but hopefully with that will come higher clocks... and possibly close the gap a little with the Titan. Or even better, wait for Maxwell to be released. It sounds like Titan will be king of the hill for quite awhile.

I'm sorry but the price on this kills it. If the AMD driver team hadn't stepped up to the plate lately then it may have been worth it but 7970 Crossfire is kicking butt.

House payment vs. Video Card. lol

I am with you colinstu. 2x660ti's will hold me over to Maxwell.........oh who am I shitten! I really really want to pull the trigger on this bitch......but the price....your child......don't do it man!!.....must resist...:(;)

Gotta say....the tax return is begging me to spend it....and a watercooled titan....that sounds kinda nice...

House payment vs. Video Card. lol

I am with you colinstu. 2x660ti's will hold me over to Maxwell.........oh who am I shitten! I really really want to pull the trigger on this bitch......but the price....your child......don't do it man!!.....must resist...:(;)

I've been dying ... this 9800GTX was slow by the time the GTX280 was released a month after I got it. Just about any card on the market is faster than what I have right now but I'll stick with being a masochist.

I've been dying ... this 9800GTX was slow by the time the GTX280 was released a month after I got it. Just about any card on the market is faster than what I have right now but I'll stick with being a masochist.

You could buy one (or two, or three) of the watercooled 6970s im selling right now...still have the stock heatshrouds for them as well. :D

You could buy one (or two, or three) of the watercooled 6970s im selling right now...still have the stock heatshrouds for them as well. :D

Hah ;) I'd rather stick with a single GPU setup. Plus, folding@home runs better on nVidia cards so I like having that option available if and when I fold for team 33.

I probably would have gotten one or two of these before I got married in my single days. But spending $1000 on video cards in SLi is hard enough to explain to the wife, $2000 would probably land me on the couch.

Also, with the rate at which video cards become outdated $1000 per video card just doesn't make sense.

I really would have thought that people on here could understand that IPC > clock speed.

I picked up a 690 when they were hot with the justification they were priced very closely to two 680 GPUs and performed almost exactly the same while only taking up two slots.

This card looks awesome, but I can't find any justification to grab only one card unless benches show it is faster than a single 690 (No more SLI profiles, yay.) Does not look like that's case unless you try to completely saturate the available memory.

Maybe if I never picked up a 690 or was regularly running into its limits I would be more inclined to grab a couple of these. In the end I am just not [H]ard enough for the Titans.

Still excited for benches on Thursday!

seriously.... what's with all the websites posting previews? Talking about hyping it up much.

be nice if they made a cheaper 3gb model, wtf am I gonna do with 6gb?

$999 hahaha

seriously.... what's with all the websites posting previews? Talking about hyping it up much.

That is how NVIDIA structured the roll out. I would assume this way they get a few "advertising days" simply based on features without any of the "journalists" holding their feet to the fire on what this card is about.......actual performance.

So wait the card goes on sale on the 21st but they can't release benchmarks till the same day at 2PM? Sounds like they don't want people seeing the performance benchmarks till after people all buy them...

I really would have thought that people on here could understand that IPC > clock speed.

Well, except it's not. Performance increases fairly linearly with either one.

Instructions/Clock * Clock = Instructions

Moar instructions!

Well, except it's not. Performance increases fairly linearly with either one.

Instructions/Clock * Clock = Instructions

Moar instructions!

The GTX 680 doesn't increase linearly with clock speed increases, it tapers off. I don't feel like googling this for you but the architecture is near it's limits (was it bandwidth limited).

The HD 79XX do gain more linearly but I don't recall offhand what the gain is per clock speed. I suspect the Titan(ic) will increase well with clock speed as it's not such a neutered mid-range chip as the 680 is.

I probably would have gotten one or two of these before I got married in my single days. But spending $1000 on video cards in SLi is hard enough to explain to the wife, $2000 would probably land me on the couch.

Also, with the rate at which video cards become outdated $1000 per video card just doesn't make sense.

Seriously? Both companies are showing signs of slowing down with this being the only release from Nvidia for the year and AMD having a single release this year as well. I remember the tick tock days of the past when you had a new card every 6 months. Granted, highend probably cut off at 500-600 back then but if you were to break it down, you were paying for best of the best stuff at 100 dollars a month before it was "obsolete". The Titan, assuming its $1000 retail and is the last thing Nvidia releases until January 2014, the Titan will still run you the same $100 a month for the best of the best (single GPU).

The married thing is your real obstacle...kick her to the curb and feed your hardware habit :D (Though I guess she probably fills a different hardware habit)

So wait the card goes on sale on the 21st but they can't release benchmarks till the same day at 2PM? Sounds like they don't want people seeing the performance benchmarks till after people all buy them...

Pretty much.

They could be sold out by 2pm. Then the customer could feel like they have been sold out.

oh quit crying you know there's poor kids in china still gaming on voodoo2's, now eat your broccoli.

oh quit crying you know there's poor kids in china still gaming on voodoo2's, now eat your broccoli.

Im sure those kids have upgraded to the Voodoo5 and are using them in SLI :D (did the 5 even release...or was it the 6 that was designed and not released...)

They could be sold out by 2pm. Then the customer could feel like they have been sold out.
Keep in mind that Nvidia shot down the rumor of this part being a limited production run. The Titan will have normal availability just like the 690. So, there is no reason to rush out to purchase one.

ah the nvidiots will gladly put out $1000.00 for a graphics card that is nothing more than a 680 on roid rage... i know im not touching this card unless i win the lotto and get hit in the head with a brick making me mentally incapacitated.

ah the nvidiots will gladly put out $1000.00 for a graphics card that is nothing more than a 680 on roid rage... i know im not touching this card unless i win the lotto and get hit in the head with a brick making me mentally incapacitated.

No one is trying to force you to buy it.

So, there is no reason to rush out to purchase one.

Yep.

I will only buy one to put into the upcoming Mac Pro, if or when OS/driver tweaks become available.
I use a lot of creative programs so the extra DP will help. The lack of SLI support from Apple makes this card a prime candidate for creation and gaming.

Otherwise I'll step aside and let the most [H] have their fun.

Well since i demand nothng less than 60fps @ 5760 x 1080 in every game period,

I have no choice but to get 3 of these cards.

Oh well, Bring it on!

I will wait till EVGA builds classified version of it and watercooled!

:cool:

Well since i demand nothng less than 60fps @ 5760 x 1080 in every game period,

I have no choice but to get 3 of these cards.

Oh well, Bring it on!

I will wait till EVGA builds classified version of it and watercooled!

:cool:

what do you the classifieds will bring? 9+gigs of memory?

Performance reviews are scheduled for 9AM EST, just like the preview.

Seriously? Both companies are showing signs of slowing down with this being the only release from Nvidia for the year and AMD having a single release this year as well. I remember the tick tock days of the past when you had a new card every 6 months. Granted, highend probably cut off at 500-600 back then but if you were to break it down, you were paying for best of the best stuff at 100 dollars a month before it was "obsolete". The Titan, assuming its $1000 retail and is the last thing Nvidia releases until January 2014, the Titan will still run you the same $100 a month for the best of the best (single GPU).

The married thing is your real obstacle...kick her to the curb and feed your hardware habit :D (Though I guess she probably fills a different hardware habit)

Uh, actually, while the industry does seem to be slowing down, nVidia per rumors is planning on the GTX 7xx series still this year from articles I've seen. It's AMD that isn't doing a new gen.

Uninformed and jealous... it is a lot more than a GK104 on "steroids" :p, they're completely different chip models (GK110). And, if you won the lotto, a $1k video card would make a lot more sense to you since you could actually afford one.

It's AMD that isn't doing a new gen.

Understandably. AMD has an immense amount of console gpu's to turn out for MS and Sony.
I can see their focus being shifted over the next few years.

It's Nv that needs cards like the Titan to retain dominance in the PC world.

Uninformed and jealous... it is a lot more than a GK104 on "steroids" :p, they're completely different chip models (GK110). And, if you won the lotto, a $1k video card would make a lot more sense to you since you could actually afford one.

I dont think you need to win the lottery to afford one. Just gotta have a decent high paying job and very low expenses ala being single like me. ;) Anyways 1k for a single card is hard to swallow. I was thinking like $899 but $999, it absolutely needs to be better than 2 GTX 680s, or within 5%~ in EVERY game/application. I dont mind shelling out since its been a while since I have upgraded and I dont like SLI/XFire for the issues both create, but I'll be dammed if I spend $1k to buy something that is slower for cheaper.

i am buying this card day one because my 5870 fan gone bad and it is loud at heck!

j/k i am interested in the bench of this card though and thinking of getting a new gfx card soon

Back