NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 official performance leaked

If those charts are accurate, this is not looking good for AMD. They really needed something to redeem this generation, and now if they cant even compete on price with the RX480, it's going to be rough.

If those charts are accurate, this is not looking good for AMD. They really needed something to redeem this generation, and now if they cant even compete on price with the RX480, it's going to be rough.

Good example of the pr machine working.

Good example of the pr machine working.

Working no, see how I used the word "IF"? I have no faith in pre-review performance speculation and leaks. I learned my lesson with Bulldozer. Never again weill I get excited about any PC hardware until after I have read the first real independent reviews.

Do you have anything quality to add?

let me expand on what you said then...

after seeing Doom/Vulkan RIP NVIDIA, AMD IS KICKING YOUR A....
Yea seriously, look at this graph. This is how screwed AMD is. No sorry, I meant Nvidia. Even the Fury X is going to kill the 1080 in this game. Isn't this a game that Nvidia was showing off the 1080 on with Vulkan? This is a Nvidia game, and the Fury destroys it. RX 480 would destroy the GTX 980, as well as the 1060.

amdvulkan.png

Yea seriously, look at this graph. This is how screwed AMD is. No sorry, I meant Nvidia. Even the Fury X is going to kill the 1080 in this game. Isn't this a game that Nvidia was showing off the 1080 on with Vulkan? This is a Nvidia game, and the Fury destroys it. RX 480 would destroy the GTX 980, as well as the 1060.

amdvulkan.png

Damn dude!

You mean we have a 2-horse race again? Sweet. Although it's not too surprising that AMD cards are better optimised for Vulkan, seeing as Vulkan is based on Mantle. AMD has a serious head-start there.

amdvulkan.png

Fury X is still behind 1080 though, despite your claims. See DF screens in another topic. Let's see what nvidia will come up with as right now amd just managed to get to a normal performance level in DOOM with vulkan, where nvidia had a great performance from the start with OpenGL.

Fury X is still behind 1080 though, despite your claims. See DF screens in another topic. Let's see what nvidia will come up with as right now amd just managed to get to a normal performance level in DOOM with vulkan, where nvidia had a great performance from the start with OpenGL.
I seriously doubt you will much gains from NVIDIA going foward, at least no more than normal like under dx11. And not sure what you mean by normal here for the AMD increase. As far as the 1080 to FuryX, I think we need a day or 2 to be sure exactly. Enough posts proving the performance is all over the map depending on which site you look at.

Yea normal, as in the Fury X is much older than the GTX 1080. Not using 16nm or 14nm process like these newer cards. The Fury X has a lot of compute units, which benefits a lot from Async Compute. This is the first game to finally flex Async Compute muscle, and it's a big 30% increase for AMD cards. This is not normal. Pretty sure the Fury X is also a lot cheaper compared to the 1080.

Also, nobody should be supporting Nvidia at all, considering this Founders Edition crap. They are conditioning you to spend more for their graphic cards, and I'm not the only one who noticed this. Good luck finding the GTX 1060 for $250, when Nvidia is clearly pushing for $300. Most likely the cards will average around $280.

Yea normal, as in the Fury X is much older than the GTX 1080. Not using 16nm or 14nm process like these newer cards. The Fury X has a lot of compute units, which benefits a lot from Async Compute. This is the first game to finally flex Async Compute muscle, and it's a big 30% increase for AMD cards. This is not normal. Pretty sure the Fury X is also a lot cheaper compared to the 1080.

Also, nobody should be supporting Nvidia at all, considering this Founders Edition crap. They are conditioning you to spend more for their graphic cards, and I'm not the only one who noticed this. Good luck finding the GTX 1060 for $250, when Nvidia is clearly pushing for $300. Most likely the cards will average around $280.

ASUS Radeon R9 Fury X DirectX 12 R9FURYX-4G 4GB 4096-Bit HBM PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com at $629 not that much cheaper, but certainly more available.

Don't look at 4k graph, it may cause a breakdown of your worldview.

Also,if this is nV game, why AMD's Vulkan path was done in corroboration with AMD?

Last edited:
The link you posted goes to another forum when you then click on that newegg link it redirects to a non newegg site and times out, so I actually posted a link to a real newegg page with a standard fury X priced at 629. My point stands it isn't that much cheaper than a 1080

The link you posted goes to another forum when you then click on that newegg link it redirects to a non newegg site and times out, so I actually posted a link to a real newegg page with a standard fury X priced at 629. My point stands it isn't that much cheaper than a 1080

If you mean to Hardforums deals forum, and direct linking to newegg, yea ok? :rolleyes:

XFX R9-FURY-4QFA RADEON R9 FURY X 4GB HBM Liquid Cooled 4096-Bit PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card-Newegg.com

Your point doesn't stand, there are also Fury Xs for 400-450$ for sale at amazon.com

Don't look at 4k graph, it may cause a breakdown of your worldview.
What 4k results? The website I got the benchmarks from has none. They do have 1080p results. Other sites show the RX 480 still gaining at 4k, while Pascal cards stop increasing in gains. So far there's no other benchmarks from other sites beyond 1070 and RX 480.

Doom mit Vulkan: Benchmarks mit AMD und Nvidia

Also,if this is nV game, why AMD's Vulkan path was done in corroboration with AMD?
Gameworks took an arrow to the knee? My point is that Nvidia was showing off the 1080 with Doom Vulkan. They had their hands in the cookie jar. Apparently so did AMD, as you're pointing out.

What 4k results? The website I got the benchmarks from has none. They do have 1080p results. Other sites show the RX 480 still gaining at 4k, while Pascal cards stop increasing in gains. So far there's no other benchmarks from other sites beyond 1070 and RX 480.

Doom mit Vulkan: Benchmarks mit AMD und Nvidia

Gameworks took an arrow to the knee? My point is that Nvidia was showing off the 1080 with Doom Vulkan. They had their hands in the cookie jar. Apparently so did AMD, as you're pointing out.
Well, sorry, i did not know you don't know how to use drop down lists. I am really sorry.

As for nV and Doom Vulkan, nV employee leads the Vulkan development, so go figure why they'd show it off.

P. S. I wonder how much $$$ in workhours and plain cash went to id with the whole ordeal.

You don't "upgrade" from one generation's Tier 2 card to the next gen's tier 3 card. If you have a 970, you look at the 1070, move up, or wait another generation. Aside from maybe the GeForce 8 series (and even this is debatable), stepping down a tier for the next gen has never been a worthwhile upgrade.

Well the problem is the 1060 is in the same price range as a 970 was. We're looking at roughly ~$300. The 970 was $340-350 with a decent cooler. The 1070 is closer to $450. And keep in mind this is all nearly two years later, which is very long for a GPU generation. If there is nothing in the same price range that is a notable improvement two years later then that is a bad thing as hardware is stagnating. What matters is how much performance you get for the money. You're essentially saying you're satisfied for the mid range priced cards to keep roughly the same performance for three to four years.

Now I am working on assumptions, that the AIBs will price the 1060s like they are with the 1070s. I'm also assuming we're looking at GTX 980 speeds. I may be wrong on both accounts, but it seems like the rumors are pointing to a GTX 980 performing card at $300. If that is the case, I will have to wait another generation or two. It is good in a way as if GPUs are becoming like CPUs and we can get away with a single CPU purchase for 4-5 years, but it can be bad when it comes to giving game developers more power to push graphics settings.

Well, sorry, i did not know you don't know how to use drop down lists. I am really sorry.

As for nV and Doom Vulkan, nV employee leads the Vulkan development, so go figure why they'd show it off.

P. S. I wonder how much $$$ in workhours and plain cash went to id with the whole ordeal.

Why do people assume that people need to be paid off to want to use the newest toys in their game engine? I thought AMD was broke. :(

Yep, I didn't see that drop down menu, which is odd since the 1080p results didn't have it. I also don't know German, or whatever that language is. So... yep, the Fury X in 4k is still on top, but not by a whole lot obviously. The 1070 and 980 Ti did decline in FPS going to Vulkan in 4k. The only graphics card that went up is the Fury X.

Obviously that would mean the GTX 1080 would be faster in 4k than the Fury X, at least I would think. But that would in in OpenGL and not Vulkan, just like the 1070.

I'm inclined to agree with this. The Founders edition, the price hikes for this generation... this is exactly what happens when there is no competition. AMD hasn't really competed for a while, so Nvidia can do whatever it wants and still sees people overpaying. For crying out loud, the 1070 is supposed to cost $379 and people are happily overpaying gross amounts of extra money just to get one! If AMD were in a more competitive position, the 1070 would cost $330 and no Founders stupidity would ever exist. They're taking advantage of the market situation, and while it's something I despise and makes me consider stop being an Nvidia customer - as I have been for my past 9 GPUs - honestly, why wouldn't they, nobody's stopping them.

I hope AMD hits a home run with DX12 and Vulkan, not because I want either of them to win - couldn't care less - but because being neck to neck is what will keep them honest and competitive. The current market situation is pathetic and people seem to not care - or don't really remember/didn't live through the good days of GPU competition a decade ago.

I'm inclined to agree with this. The Founders edition, the price hikes for this generation... this is exactly what happens when there is no competition. AMD hasn't really competed for a while, so Nvidia can do whatever it wants and still sees people overpaying. For crying out loud, the 1070 is supposed to cost $379 and people are happily overpaying gross amounts of extra money just to get one! If AMD were in a more competitive position, the 1070 would cost $330 and no Founders stupidity would ever exist. They're taking advantage of the market situation, and while it's something I despise and makes me consider stop being an Nvidia customer - as I have been for my past 9 GPUs - honestly, why wouldn't they, nobody's stopping them.

I hope AMD hits a home run with DX12 and Vulkan, not because I want either of them to win - couldn't care less - but because being neck to neck is what will keep them honest and competitive. The current market situation is pathetic and people seem to not care - or don't really remember/didn't live through the good days of GPU competition a decade ago.
I lucked out and got a 1080 FE at its MSRp, but i agree the prices on the 1070 have been the worst no one should be paying close to $500 sometimes for that card.

I lucked out and got a 1080 FE at its MSRp, but i agree the prices on the 1070 have been the worst no one should be paying close to $500 sometimes for that card.

The overton window is real, and being a fan of team green keeps moving that price target higher and higher. Presbytier feels lucky he got msrp of the already inflated FE price point.

For what its worth I don't think 1060 prices will be able to float as close to the fe variant at 300 dollars as the rx 480 will put downward price pressure on the part, even if it's a bit faster. It will be interesting to see if nvidia affinity defies gravity there.

The 1070 and 1080 are on their own right now. AMD won't have anything to compete for some time. I don't know if the Fury X cards are competition for the GTX 1070 cause I can't see every Vulkan/DX12 game being that beneficial for AMD cards like DoomVulkan. My advice to people looking to buy a 1060 is to put more value in DX12/Vulkan benchmarks. They demonstrate the future of gaming. All AAA games released from now on should have DX12/Vulkan support. I have no doubt the 1060 will be faster in DX11 games compared to the RX 480, but probably not in DX12/Vulkan. If you plan to own this graphics card for years to come, keep that in mind.

For what its worth I don't think 1060 prices will be able to float as close to the fe variant at 300 dollars as the rx 480 will put downward price pressure on the part, even if it's a bit faster. It will be interesting to see if nvidia affinity defies gravity there.
I believe Nvidia knows that these prices will drop eventually once AMD releases their equivalent products. For now, the Founders Edition is like a tax for Nvidia faithful buyers. Enjoy the FE tax.

The overton window is real, and being a fan of team green keeps moving that price target higher and higher. Presbytier feels lucky he got msrp of the already inflated FE price point.

Lucky I was able to nab one does not mean being overjoyed with the price. I was simply happy I was able to get one around launch instead of the perpetual wait for severly price gouged versions.

Lucky I was able to nab one does not mean being overjoyed with the price. I was simply happy I was able to get one around launch instead of the perpetual wait for severly price gouged versions.

Sorry, what?

ROFL. You should have know its all over the forum fury x is going for 399 and you chose to link the one for 629 to support your point. Who in their right mind would buy any fury x that is 629 when there are like two available one for 300 and one for 420ish I believe.
Honestly I grabbed the first one on newegg and several on the first page where that price, at least the ones being sold directly on newegg.

Back