NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS Preview @ [H]

V99 said:
C'mon dude, Not all of us have $700 to upgrade to PCI-E... give some some slack :p
This video card looks pretty good... If it comes in AGP it might be worth buying.

And... Nvidia has done it again. ATi is falling by the minute.. They need something big to get back in the game.

You don't need $700 dollars to upgrade to PCIE....

if at most it would be somthing like $300 to $400 dollars...plus you can recoupe some of that cash by selling the old parts.... :p

Looks like a nice card for the money, but really doesn't seem that much better (performance wise) than the x800xtpe refurb I got this summer (should be about the same price) - seems time for another nice price war.

Brent_Justice said:
good news for you and me
agreed. nothing better than a solid launch

one thing though.. for the quake4 data, i think it would be nice if you excluded the save time when fps hits 0, it would give you a better general idea what the mininum fps are for those too lazy to look really carefully at the graph ;)

Would these 6800GS have any hidden trinkets for RivaTuner to find? :D

Like.. I dunno.. pipes to unlock? :)

the 6800GS is gonna be a good card. if at stock, its comperable to a 6800gt, with 3/4ths the pipes, wait until the OCing begins, its a smaller 110nm process, like what the 6600/6200 had, and those cores went all the way up into the lower 600's with added voltage and cooling

SPARTAN VI said:
Would these 6800GS have any hidden trinkets for RivaTuner to find?
Nope, NV42 is a native 12-pipe design with 5 vertex shaders.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of overclocks the NV42 can reach considering how well the G70 overclocks on the same process with a lot more transistors. :)

LoneWolf said:
Does it come with free pr0n?
lol.

No, but a tiny little Vin Diesel jumps out the box and kicks your ass when you open it. :eek:

[RIP]Zeus said:
You don't need $700 dollars to upgrade to PCIE....

if at most it would be somthing like $300 to $400 dollars...plus you can recoupe some of that cash by selling the old parts.... :p

Now now, the poor fella is in new zealand. A good motherboard alone is gonna run up about 250-300. A64 3200 Venice is about 270. New powersupply, hmm, 150-200 for a good one. Video card...Well, 7800GT's go for 700-800.
Cheapest 2gig dual channel memory is about 420...soem geil stuff. He's not lying about 'where everything is expensive/ in his name, kay? :p

It's a lot of money.

Who cares if he is pimping out his site....

Point is these GS are selling like hot cakes...

Not to be rude...but where are the X1600's???? :D

I checked out a few of the 6800GS reviews to see how well it was overclocking, here are the overclocks the reviews reached........

425/1.00 (Stock, for reference)

480/1.32
515/1.18
480/1.11
505/1.18
540/1.23
521/1.19
500/1.08
522/1.20

Average is 508MHz/1.19GHz (core/mem) or about +19% over stock for both GPU and memory. Not too shabby. :)

[QUOTE='[RIP]
Not to be rude...but where are the X1600's????[/QUOTE]
Well, it's OT but to answer your question..... the Driverheaven review had a few things to say about the X1600XT......

Moving on to the Radeon X1600XT we find a product which is the antithesis of the 6800 GS…so much so that it is hard to even know where to start summarising. Before we do there are a few things we need to clarify.

Firstly the X1600XT isn’t yet available in retail, despite being launched over a month ago. It seems long gone are the days when ATI delivered retail availability within 30days of the paper launch. Further to that there is no sign of the card appearing in stores any time soon. To ATI’s credit they did state back in Ibiza at the R520 launch that the X1600XT wouldn’t be available for a while…but its looking like it will be more than 2 months between the paper launch and retail availability and that’s completely pointless in our opinion…why bother?

Our next concern surrounding the X1600XT is the inability to track down a real retail price in the UK for a product which was supposedly launched over a month ago. When we contacted ATI’s PR in the UK with what we thought were some simple questions on pricing and on sale dates we were unable to get a date for release or even a price. The US price will be approx $250 so we could take a guess at £150+ for the 256mb XT… but guesses don’t really help you, the consumer.

We also asked ATI PR if the X1600XT would feature in the upcoming Catalyst 5.11 as this would be at least an indication that the product would be nearing retail, however we could gain no clarification on that point either and at this time we feel that the card wont be included in the inf. This points to at least mid December and Catalyst 5.12 before we see any sort of official driver support for the X1600…let alone retail availability.

Now on to the X1600XT itself. There are certainly a few good features for the card. First off it’s very small and that makes it ideal for small form factor PC’s, the fact that it has very small power requirements is also a benefit for that market…and OEM’s. The use of Dual DVI is something that we always like to see and as the card is based on the same technology as the X1800 we have the ability to use AA and HDR at the same time…

…well maybe…

If you take a look at the Lost Coast results which is the only game on test here to use HDR we see that the X1600 just cant handle such a demanding technology at any decent resolution. In reality you are looking at a card which would be lucky to combine those two features at 1024x768 and provide playable framerates. That to us is not $250 worth of value.

The less than ideal performance continues down through the other tests and time after time we see the 6800GS with its £160 price tag completely outperform the X1600XT and disappointingly on more that one occasion with recent titles it seems with the X1600XT 1024x768 is the resolution to aim for. This is just not acceptable for a $250 product.

We also found the X1600XT cooling to be less effective than the 6800GS, Where as the 6800GS kept a low rpm regardless of the situation there were more than a few occasions when the X1600XT raised in volume by a noticeable amount. We hope that AIB’s will design more efficient coolers to resolve this issue.

So why the sub standard performance? Well, if we had to put it down to one contributing factor over any other, that would be the use of a 128bit memory bus. The decision to go down that route was, in our opinion, crazy. The effects of this can be clearly demonstrated in Need For Speed Underground 2. Whilst the card provides almost playable framerates at 1280x1024 moving up a resolution the card just runs out of available bandwidth and performance suffers greatly. Quake 4 would seem to be another engine that suffers to a great extent.

After the excellent experience we had reviewing the X1800XT, the X1600XT has brought us down to earth with a bang. It reminds me greatly of the X600 series which when launched was dreadfully under spec’d and overpriced compared to other competitive parts. ATI went some way to resolving that with the hastily released X700 series and you would have thought they would have learned their lesson with that experience. Unfortunately it appears they haven’t and we await a replacement mainstream product which features a 256bit memory bus which should go some way to helping ATI match Nvidia for price and performance in the mainstream segment.

A thoroughly disappointing product overall from ATI, it might not be available for some time and in reality there is no reason to wait for it.

Oh dear. :(

We are working right now with ClubIT to get the sub-200 GS worked out. It will be a prebuy, not sure how long, waiting right now to get an answer. Will post on the front page.

(cf)Eclipse said:
agreed. nothing better than a solid launch

one thing though.. for the quake4 data, i think it would be nice if you excluded the save time when fps hits 0, it would give you a better general idea what the mininum fps are for those too lazy to look really carefully at the graph ;)

you mean FEAR? I didnt have any pauses with save game in Quake4

if you or anyone knows how to disable the auto save game feature in FEAR let me know

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
the 6800GS is gonna be a good card. if at stock, its comperable to a 6800gt, with 3/4ths the pipes, wait until the OCing begins, its a smaller 110nm process, like what the 6600/6200 had, and those cores went all the way up into the lower 600's with added voltage and cooling

doing some preliminary overclocking on our reference card I hit 500MHz GPU easily, but didn't try for higher, it's possible it would have been stable even higher

Brent_Justice said:
doing some preliminary overclocking on our reference card I hit 500MHz GPU easily, but didn't try for higher, it's possible it would have been stable even higher

that is VERY good to hear. im seeing a new ATI midrange killer. if it can keep up with a 6800gt at stock, when both are maxed out i think we will see that the 6800gs comes out ontop. and 75mhz easily on the stock cooler is just....insane. im telling you, this is gonna be a sought after card!

To keep things competitive ATi might need to come out with a X1650XT or a X1700XT to be competitive. This definitely fills the gap above the 6600GT that Nvidia has been struggling with against the X800GT and X800GTO/gto2.

Any eVGA owners here? I'm curious if the stock cooler on their cards are acceptable for minor overclocking and, more importantly, if they're quiet.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
that is VERY good to hear. im seeing a new ATI midrange killer. if it can keep up with a 6800gt at stock, when both are maxed out i think we will see that the 6800gs comes out ontop. and 75mhz easily on the stock cooler is just....insane. im telling you, this is gonna be a sought after card!

you need to hit 467 MHz on the 6800 GS to = the fillrate of a 6800 GT

the mem bandwidth is already at 6800 GT level

that seems easily doable

the card would be impressive if it were agp. a 7800GT would smoke two of those in sli for cheaper.. if u want multimonitor get a cheap pci card. its a waste... but thats only my opinion. :)

edit.. nvidia would sell a piss load of these cards if they were in the agp format.

Jason711 said:
the card would be impressive if it were agp. a 7800GT would smoke two of those in sli for cheaper.. if u want multimonitor get a cheap pci card. its a waste... but thats only my opinion. :)

Not only is it your opinion I think that this is a fact. But the whole thing about this baby is that 1. This if for people that can't afford a 7800 and 2. This baby whacks all the ATI X800 cards in that price bracket.

Not a bad card. Unfortunately the last quad will NOT unlock, 12pipe is all you get. It is still slower than a flashed c3d x800gto for $154. I think at ~ $140 it would be a sweet deal.

This is great news for Nvidia:

Geforce 6600 DDR2 256MB 119US vs Radeon X1300 256MB 129US vs Radeon X700 256MB 1xxUS.

The performance of the Geforce 6600 DDR2 is competitive with the Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB, nevermind the slower Radeon X1300 256MB. Unsure of how it would stack up against the X700.

Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 149US vs Radeon X1600 Pro 128MB 149US vs Radeon X800 GT 128MB 149US.

The performance of this segment is not that clear to me, I beleive they are all fairly competitive to each other.

Geforce 6800 GS 256MB 249US vs Radeon X800 GTO 256MB 249US vs Radeon X1600 XT 256MB 249US.

The X800 GTO is a mature product and has been on the market and has time to price erode, the X1600 XT is practically dead in the water as it is uncompetitive in terms of performance against these other two products. The 6800 GS has greater stock performance then either 2, though the X800 GTO has potential modability and great overclock potential, 6800 GS has good overclock potential too.

The only segement that Nvidia has left sort of open is the discontinued 6800 Vanilla at the 199US MSRP point, where the X800 GTO 128MB resides, or Radeon X1600 XT 128MB. Though again the X800 GTO is a mature product and has time to price erode.

R1ckCa1n said:
I can't seem to find one to purchase.......
Wrong forum, you should have posted this in the ATI forum for the X1600, or X1800 crossfire or etc.

Seems the GS is just about everywhere and well under MSRP on the first day. You can't launch better than that.

Even though AGP is dead it would be a nice AGP card. My 6800nu is unlocked and overclocked but I would also like the extra memory.
:cool:

X1600 is the wrong card to compare the 6800 GS to.

1. X1600 is not available.

2. ATI has better cards at the X1600 price point

3. ATI has better cards that are cheaper than the X1600

holy shit, this card is awesome. Now I just need to see some 3dmark runs and some other benchs to compare it's power to other cards. I wish it would come in AGP flavor, since I just built this PC and it's almost a year old. I just dont want to have to build a new computer from scratch so soon.. have to buy cpu, mobo, memory, 6800gs, etc. etc.

The X800 GTO is a mature product and has been on the market and has time to price erode, the X1600 XT is practically dead in the water as it is uncompetitive in terms of performance against these other two products. The 6800 GS has greater stock performance then either 2, though the X800 GTO has potential modability and great overclock potential, 6800 GS has good overclock potential too.

i agree, the 6800GS is a very nice card to compete against the GTO, as of right now there is no reason to get a X1600, i was very disapointed with the X1600 myself and thought it could have been given alot more juice for the price, how ever i still think the X800XT's and XL's are a great card for their price bracket

this whole situation excites me for when the G80/R600 launches in the next year, the competition and hard launches of the high end products should bring the more attractive hardware in the sub $500 arena

and why does every thread with a good product launch bring people to say the other company is in trouble? last time i looked neither company had any trouble selling any of their products

agentzero9 said:
X1600 is the wrong card to compare the 6800 GS to.

1. X1600 is not available.

2. ATI has better cards at the X1600 price point

3. ATI has better cards that are cheaper than the X1600

Its not because those cards ATI is offering are only inventory which is left over. They won't continue them much longer than they need to sell of their old inventory.

Further on it is time to compare SM3 products only. In that case the X1600XT is at the same price tag and offers SM3 technology.
Older X8xx/X7xx products don't offer SM3 technology and are outdated in that case.

Nvidia is offering both - SM3 technology and great performance for good prices.
ATI is killed this round imho.

coz said:
Well, it's OT but to answer your question..... the Driverheaven review had a few things to say about the X1600XT......

Oh dear. :(

Oh gosh..maybe not such a biased website after all ;)

Back