NVIDIA GeForce 3-Way SLI and Radeon Tri-Fire Review @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people suggesting Nvidia requires more PCIe bandwidth to achieve the same results as AMD with less bandwidth..... how does that make Nvidia better?

IF nvidia is bottlenecked it is happening on the 3rd pcie slot running the card at only 4x pcie. In this exact scenario AMD is not bottlenecked since it's using 2 slots.

i'm betting those frames are for BF:BC2.

Yes and that is nvidia on the left and AMD on the right losing slighty, however I don't know the IQ settings to say who is winning or losing just yet :p

Cmon Brent! :D

3DVision. This is an amazing technology, based on the time I spent with it last weekend on my 3D laptop, and it's the reason I'm switching back to Nvidia on my desktop, despite my frustration with Nvidia's vRAM stupidity. So much better than (and nothing like) the 3D movie gimmick. Not that I'd blindly recommend it - some people's eyes can't cope with it, maybe 20%.

Forgot about that, however much has changed. I'm gonna withhold my final opinion until the outcome of the re-test. It seems something may have bottlenecked nvidia bad in the last test.

exodia, am i really supposed to believe amd got lower scores with a faster cpu? seriously? :p

if its bfbc2 ;)

28, 120, 79.7, 29, 105, 64.1

that's all you get

Ughhh............

You are just as bad as those nice restaurants where you buy appetizers that make you even hungrier as you wait for the main course!

Any idea what time frame you guys are shooting for to get it done? I imagine you are probably going to need a vacation after this :p

exodia, am i really supposed to believe amd got lower scores with a faster cpu? seriously? :p

if its bfbc2 ;)

Maybe, IF nvidia was bottlenecked by the 3rd card being in a x4 slot now that the lowest that all cards will run is 8x there may be a pretty good boost in performance, Also from my past research I've noticed that nvidia requires very high cpu speads to properly spread it's wings. Raising the CPU speed/using a faster proc, and losing a x4 castration may bode well for nvidia this next go around.

Forgot about that, however much has changed. I'm gonna withhold my final opinion until the outcome of the re-test. It seems something may have bottlenecked nvidia bad in the last test.

I had an nvidia 3D capable board back in the late 90s. It came with 3d shutter glasses and a special mode to view in 3d.

I found that it wasn't worth it back then as you needed double the framerate, and the cards at the time simply couldn't keep up with games at those needed rates, and when the frame rates dropped it would flicker BADLY.

I'd be curious to see what it looks like these days, but switching likely won't happen for me, as I just spend considerable money on a 30" 2560x1600 screen which is going to have to last as my primary monitor at least for the next 4 or 5 years.

you didn't answer what i said. you are claiming amd got lower scores with a faster cpu, but giving reasons why nvidia would be faster this time. i don't see amd dropping from 114 max fps in bfbc2 to 105fps in the same game with a faster cpu. your reasons for support of a faster nvidia score makes sense but you are not saying why it would drop the amd scores since they would have the same advantage (faster cpu) :p

they have already proven the difference between 4x and 8x pci-e bandwidth is minimal before as well ;)

you didn't answer what i said. you are claiming amd got lower scores with a faster cpu, but giving reasons why nvidia would be faster this time. i don't see amd dropping from 114 max fps in bfbc2 to 105fps in the same game with a faster cpu. your reasons for support of a faster nvidia score makes sense but you are not saying why it would drop the amd scores since they would have the same advantage (faster cpu) :p

they have already proven the difference between 4x and 8x pci-e bandwidth is minimal before as well ;)

Ah sorry bout that, your last post was vague. I didn't realize that this would be a decrease in performance on AMD's side if this were the case, and this is bfbc2. Good catch. Also the pcie bandwidth thing wasn't tested in eyefinity and tri sli if I recall clearly. Many high end enthusiasts who run similar or even more robust setups such as vega have posted their own findings that in eyefinity running a card at 4x would choke it out and the scaling was unusually low.

my guess is BF with AMD on the left.

max is too high for crysis, F1, metro and DA2. average is too high for metro, crysis and DA2. minimum is too low for F1, and too high for crysis.

minimum can go a frame or two lower but avg/max are too low to be AMD on the right in BF because they had 114/65 with the CPU bottleneck.

Zarathustra[H];1037200698 said:
I'd be curious to see what it looks like these days, but switching likely won't happen for me, as I just spend considerable money on a 30" 2560x1600 screen which is going to have to last as my primary monitor at least for the next 4 or 5 years.

In the right games nVidia S3D is very compelling to me thus far. Lots of room for improvement but the sense of depth to me is quite profound.

Brent handed off to me at 5AM. I got on it at 5:30AM. Working now.

And we are going to start a new thread for this one too. So I am going to close this one.

Alot of people apppreciate to job you are going here Brent. Staying late at night and all that.

No matter the results of that review, I think we should applaud HardOCP for going the extra miles and listening to their readers suggestions like that, and staying up all night, ad re-testing everything so fast to get the results a couple of days only after the lastest review.

I don't know another review sties out there who would have done that.

Bravo. Thumbs-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back