Nvidia G-Sync - A module to alleviate screen tearing

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by octoberasian, Oct 18, 2013.

1. octoberasian

octoberasian 2[H]4U

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/nvidia-g-sync/

2. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

This is great!
    ... for someone else lol, I've bought all the displays I'm going to for quite a few years.

3. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

While I like the idea of permanently solving tearing, lagging and stuttering, I don't like the idea of buying specific monitors for it. This might have potential, but considering 120Hz monitors still aren't popular, I don't see this becoming popular either. Meaning it will be really limited choice of screens. Asus, Philips, BenQ and ViewSonic, are also the brands that have released "120Hz 3D Vision Ready" monitors... Those brands have about 6 different models spread out over those 4 brands, all 24" and 27" 1920x1080 screens with about 300$ starting price.

They should have made this technology freely licenseable and still reap the benefits. Now they made a proprietary technology combined with proprietary hardware, just like their 3D Vision tech (although requiring one more hardware bit).

I like the idea, I hate the execution.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, I would have preferred a video card-based solution (drivers or additional hardware on the card) that works with every monitor.

5. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

6. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

Indeed. An Nvidia card with much better lag/stutter/tear is a very good selling point. But requiring a specific monitor too seems to vendor-lock you in. So what if in two years you want an AMD GPU ? Your screen will just be plain ol' normal and even if AMD comes with competing technology, it probably won't work since Nvidia isn't keen on inviting others into their party.

7. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

Oh gawd yes, I've been waiting for this forever. It was kind of obvious that lcd didn't need a refresh rate like the old analog scan-based CRTs.

8. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

This doesnt change the requirement for a refresh rate.

9. sobe88

sobe88 Gawd

Actually the G-SYNC is a module you can purchase to mod your own monitor with assuming the monitor is capable (Right now the ASUS VG248QE is capable of installing the G-SYNC module, all you need is a phillips screw driver to take apart the panel housing)

The other option is to buy the G-SYNC professionally modded panel for a premium with 1yr warranty over the standard VG248QE price.

10. Unknown-One

Unknown-One [H]ardForum Junkie

Isn't there something like that already? You know... V-Sync...

11. kalston

kalston Gawd

Wow this is actually impressive. I'm speechless, I didn't think LCD monitors could switch refresh rate fast enough for this kind of thing to work. Honest to God I'll be buying one of those monitors no matter the price. This absolutely perfect smoothness is an old dream of mine. I don't know if they will also require you to change GPU (I mean, upgrade to a new gen since I already have a nvidia GPU) but if I have to I will.

Are you serious? V-syinc has so many shortcomings this is not even comparable.

12. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

That would have been nice.

13. Unknown-One

He said he wanted something that works on every monitor, V-Sync is it.

14. kalston

kalston Gawd

Most monitors are really slow at switching refresh rate/resolution so that's probably why.

Sorry, didn't really read what you were replying to :)

15. BusyBeaverHP

BusyBeaverHP Limp Gawd

16. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

This is great! Thank you Nvidia. Can't wait to see this in person. Hopefully they will have it at next years Quakecon.

17. jbltecnicspro

jbltecnicspro [H]ardness Supreme

Pretty cool stuff. Not for me, but definitely interesting.

18. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

Add me to the "I like the idea, but not the solution" camp. I wish this was something that would work for existing devices.
    For now I'll just rock vsync and a framerate limiter of some kind.

19. anthrex

anthrex [H]ard|Gawd

It looks good. Sadly I prefer the benefits of an IPS monitor to these TNs. Also I'm just not that sensitive to tearing as others here. Well we'll see what the fall out of this is but since it is hardware (Requiring both a 650 ti boost and either module or a new monitor) I just don't see a ton of traction, but of course I could be wrong. I wonder what the marketing will look like

20. bloodypulp

bloodypulp Gawd

would have preferred a PCIe slot card like their Quadro Sync version, instead of a monitor hack. goodbye monitor warranty.
    Nvidia also needs to fully port their Quadro Mosaic to Geforce Surround.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  21. wonderfield

wonderfield [H]ardness Supreme

That's unfortunately not possible.

Vsync 'enables' synchronous display updates. This is for asynchronous display update.

Note that this will only fix stutters of the sub-refresh rate dip variety. This technology won't eliminate any stuttering inherent in uneven frame pacing.

22. Banko

Banko Gawd

Hopefully someone will mention if this adds any input lag. I would love to use vsync but the input lag you get with vsync is horrendous for proper FPS play.

If this makes it buttery smooth and adds no additional input lag this would be awesome. (If it's the monitors changing their refresh rate dynamically hopefully it doesn't)

23. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

Can something like this be incorporated into other monitor types besides just TN?

24. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

read the article

25. Tych-0

Tych-0 Gawd

Cool stuff, though I can't go back to a 1080p TN. I hope one of these monitors coming next year has this combined with some sort of motion blur reduction tech like 2d lightboost in a resolution higher than 1080p. Then we might finally have a monitor worthy of being called a true upgrade from the old CRTs.

...and shouldn't this be in the 'Display' forum?

26. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Its NVidia only tech.

27. wonderfield

I don't see why it couldn't. They're just targeting gaming-oriented displays, I guess, which means TN.

28. Pocatello

Pocatello DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x4 Staff Member

+1

Yes, nVidia only.... but it should be in the display forum.

29. Unknown-One

No, both V-Sync and G-Sync are synchronous configurations. The only difference is the sync source.

With V-Sync, the graphics card's output is synced to the monitor's refresh rate.
    With G-Sync, the monitor's refresh rate is synced to the graphics card's output.

Biggest advantage to G-Sync is that framerate no-longer has to be a multiple of the monitor's refresh rate in order to eliminate tearing.

30. BatJoe

BatJoe Gawd

This is a great development!

31. lordsegan

lordsegan Gawd

This works with existing GPUs!

32. Phuncz

Phuncz 2[H]4U

Fixed that for you.

33. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Awesome...

Did anyone catch what the max resolution will be at launch for these boards? I'd love to hook one into my 2560x1440 110hz PLS display.

34. wonderfield

The display updates are asynchronous to any fixed update interval.

35. Unknown-One

No. The display updates are synchronous to the update interval defined by the graphics card's framerate.

Just because the sync rate varies does not mean the two devices run asynchronously...

The monitor refreshes every time there is a new completed frame (and ONLY when there is a new completed frame). That's about as synchronous as you can get.

36. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

it would be nice if this became a standard on ALL devices.

not sure how it would work with projectors, specifically DLP, however still would be nice to have this on all monitors :)

otherwise pretty damn cool concept

37. Lorien

Lorien [H]ardness Supreme

Destined to be another niche like 3d monitors. This is where all those tegra chips no one bought went btw.

38. BatJoe

BatJoe Gawd

Lol, okay. :rolleyes:

39. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

I predict this will be as successful as Killer NIC

40. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

+1. I do not like the idea of buy specific monitors to enjoy that... but bring out that idea that maybe in the future we could see a card based solution?.