Nvidia Frame skipping 144hz!!

Brackle

Old Timer
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

144Hz Frame Skipping Bug from NVIDIA card?

"We found that from our NVIDIA test system when running at the full 3440 x 1440 resolution and 75Hz refresh rate, that the screen seemed to drop some frames. We verified this via the tests at BlurBusters.com, but you could also see the issue with the naked eye on moving content like PixPerAn. In those tests the image skipped and jumped a bit. It only did this at the maximum 75Hz refresh rate, not at anything lower like 60Hz.

We found no such issue with the screen from our AMD system, either using a proper FreeSync end to end setup, or breaking the FreeSync chain and using the card with an older driver or without DisplayPort. Perhaps this is an issue with NVIDIA cards. We've reported it back to Acer for further checks."

Anyone else reproduce this issue?

It's a Freesync display and it only goes to 75Hz not 144. Sounds like a display issue.

It requires DP 1.2a, which no nvidia gpu has. It's a moot point really there will be a monitor for each brand

Why wouldn't you want to be able to use more than one brand of card with it? It's running on an open standard. Anyone can use it.

Eh.. maybe because the "open standard" is inferior?

I find it amusing they keep referring to the monitor as a gamer's display even though it tops out at 75Hz...

I find it amusing they keep referring to the monitor as a gamer's display even though it tops out at 75Hz...
So in your world its not for gaming unless it can do 144 hz? So what do you do for the games themselves that don't even support over 60 fps or have issues doing so?

I like to call fowl on Nvidia as much as possible, but this is really a non-issue. This is making a mountain of a mole-hill. I'm sure this is a compatibility issue between the screen's firmware and the GPU's drivers.

Eh.. maybe because the "open standard" is inferior?
lol, relax Adolf :p Why don't you tell us about your rig? I'm curious to know what kind of superior components you have in there.. I mean, best of the best or bust?

Why wouldn't you want to be able to use more than one brand of card with it? It's running on an open standard. Anyone can use it.

You can't use Freesync with NV cards, they don't support it even though the cards are technically capable. So you would be paying extra $ for an adaptive sync monitor and not get any benefit, doesn't make sense.

I like to call fowl on Nvidia as much as possible, but this is really a non-issue. This is making a mountain of a mole-hill. I'm sure this is a compatibility issue between the screen's firmware and the GPU's drivers.

Is this a veiled reference to the Voodoo cards? (My bold, above) ;)

You can't use Freesync with NV cards, they don't support it even though the cards are technically capable. So you would be paying extra $ for an adaptive sync monitor and not get any benefit, doesn't make sense.

Suppose you have an AMD card in your PC, but want to hook your nVidia laptop to it as well? It has more than a single DP input. HDMI, DVI as well.

Besides, anyone who thinks nVidia won't ever support adaptive sync is just kidding themselves. As more and more monitors support it they won't want to give up on those customers that own one.

Suppose you have an AMD card in your PC, but want to hook your nVidia laptop to it as well? It has more than a single DP input. HDMI, DVI as well.

Besides, anyone who thinks nVidia won't ever support adaptive sync is just kidding themselves. As more and more monitors support it they won't want to give up on those customers that own one.

havent happen yet in any other nvidia closed down stuff yet.

Except if you already own a freesync monitor and decide to switch to nvidia, but don'T want to buy a new display as well.

It's an optional standard that very few video cards support. Considering the problems it has I don't see NVIDIA or Intel rushing to use it. It will sit on the shelf next to all those HD DVD discs.

The issue being described is specific to this display. There is no frame dropping/skipping on my PG278Q at 144 Hz with a Titan X or a GTX 970.

Just an aside on reasons someone without an AMD card might buy this monitor.

1st: It's the highest refresh rate (75Hz) 3440*1440/34" monitor on the market.

2nd: Far less input lag than other 3440*1440/34" monitors on the market.
Acer%20XR341CK%20lag.png

Seems like anyone looking for a 34" wide screen monitor for gaming should consider this one. Depending on whether or not it's price competitive, of course.

Eh, Freesync is Proprietary. A-sync, which Freesync uses to function, is open.

no difference really,

Its just what Amd chooses to call their driver implementation.

Intel could make their driver called IntelSync.

Obviously you need the drivers that go with your hardware, that doesnt make it proprietary,

Its just a trademark name that no one can use without AMDs permission.

Last edited:
It could also be the polling from monitoring software. I noticed the "skipping" and it disappeared after I unistalled most of my monitoring software.. ASUS AI Suite, etc. Everyone should be closing as many background processes as possible anyway if you want good gaming.

no difference really,

Its just what Amd chooses to call their driver implementation.

Your lack of knowledge about the issue almost makes it sound like you are intentionally trying to mislead people.

Freesync is 100% proprietary to AMD.

It's about as open to the public as walking tours on the deck of the Titanic.

It could also be the polling from monitoring software. I noticed the "skipping" and it disappeared after I unistalled most of my monitoring software.. ASUS AI Suite, etc. Everyone should be closing as many background processes as possible anyway if you want good gaming.

no, lol.

Your lack of knowledge about the issue almost makes it sound like you are intentionally trying to mislead people.

Freesync is 100% proprietary to AMD.

It's about as open to the public as walking tours on the deck of the Titanic.

freesync is what amd calls their implementation of adaptive sync. adaptive sync is not proprietary and is open to anyone that wants to use it. so yes, freesync is "100% proprietary to AMD.", but you're completely missing the point. i expect nothing less from you, though.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/214

How are DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync and AMD FreeSync™ technology different?

​DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is an ingredient DisplayPort feature that enables real-time adjustment of monitor refresh rates required by technologies like AMD FreeSync™ technology. AMD FreeSync™ technology is a unique AMD hardware/software solution that utilizes DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocols to enable user-facing benefits: smooth, tearing-free and low-latency gameplay and video.​ Users are encouraged to read this interview​ to learn more.

Sounds like an incompatible implementation of Adaptive-Sync, probably to address limitations in the Adaptive-Sync standard.

I like to call fowl on Nvidia as much as possible

Hey turkeys! Partridge my french, but you should be chicken this stuff out so you don't have to duck and cover when something doesn't work right!

Geese man! What are we gamers to you? Pheasants?

freesync is what amd calls their implementation of adaptive sync. adaptive sync is not proprietary and is open to anyone that wants to use it. so yes, freesync is "100% proprietary to AMD.", but you're completely missing the point. i expect nothing less from you, though.

If it gets posted 100 times and doesn't get corrected 10 times then it's a successful ploy. It just gets tiresome to have to continuously refute the same FUD.

They won't support it. Not until the technology is marketed under a different name from a different (neutral) company

They won't support it. Not until the technology is marketed under a different name from a different (neutral) company
DisplayPort Adaptive Sync is from a standardization body (VESA). AMD didn't create it, but no doubt Nvidia, AMD and many other device makers did or at least had the opportunity to contribute to the specification.

I think Nvidia won't support it because Jen-Hsun Huang said Nvidia won't support it and he's pretty stubborn. :p

DisplayPort Adaptive Sync is from a standardization body (VESA). AMD didn't create it, but no doubt Nvidia, AMD and many other device makers did or at least had the opportunity to contribute to the specification.

I think Nvidia won't support it because Jen-Hsun Huang said Nvidia won't support it and he's pretty stubborn. :p

I didn't say create. I said marketed, which AMD did do.

I didn't say create. I said marketed, which AMD did do.
I don't remember AMD marketing the VESA Adaptive Sync standard. AMD has stated FreeSync is based on the standard, but it's not the same thing. If you're suggesting that Nvidia won't support something just because AMD used it or marketed it first, that's just ridiculous (and easily debunked by many examples).

As I mentioned, there's already an official reason why Nvidia won't use Adaptive Sync: Nvidia stated it would not use it. Plus Nvidia has a history of being very stubborn, in addition to financial reasons (both internal and external partners) for supporting G-Sync. It doesn't really matter right now because either FreeSync or G-Sync costs a significant premium over standard displays* and it's a niche product.

* FreeSync having a smaller premium doesn't seem to matter to buyers: G-Sync monitor sales haven't suffered or its prices collapsed. There's some interesting economic theory staring out here. :p

They market Freesync, not Adaptive Sync.

Adaptive sync is neutral.

I don't remember AMD marketing the VESA Adaptive Sync standard. AMD has stated FreeSync is based on the standard, but it's not the same thing. If you're suggesting that Nvidia won't support something just because AMD used it or marketed it first, that's just ridiculous (and easily debunked by many examples).

As I mentioned, there's already an official reason why Nvidia won't use Adaptive Sync: Nvidia stated it would not use it. Plus Nvidia has a history of being very stubborn, in addition to financial reasons (both internal and external partners) for supporting G-Sync. It doesn't really matter right now because either FreeSync or G-Sync costs a significant premium over standard displays* and it's a niche product.

* FreeSync having a smaller premium doesn't seem to matter to buyers: G-Sync monitor sales haven't suffered or its prices collapsed. There's some interesting economic theory staring out here. :p

AMD marketed free sync, I said nvidia won't use free sync. I'm not sure where you're getting confused exactly.

Back