NVIDIA Founders Edition Cards - Yea or Nay? @ [H]

I agree that the FE cards are underrated. Have had a great experience with mine, and it doesn't throttle to 1733, let alone base clock unless I fold or use furmark.

20160619_172134.jpg

Dude, I don't know. This card appears to have an all aluminium shroud. I hold it in my hand and it exudes quality. The back plate appears to be twice a thick as anything that i have seen although admittedly , this is the first card with a back plate that I have actually held in my hand since the first ACX cards were released. My 980 did not have a back plate. The thing feels like i could toss it up against the wall and I did not feel that way about my 980. The 1070 FE is very well made. I think we are getting a little more value than just getting the card early. My original plan was for this card to be a placeholder and then step up to the 1080 AIB as I had mentioned before but I feel compelled to say it one more time. I just might keep this. I am pleasantly surprised.
I dunno, I've got an fe here at home and it's no more premium than many of my aib aftermarket cards.

I dunno, I've got an fe here at home and it's no more premium than many of my aib aftermarket cards.
I guess its all a matter of perception. I have had several reference designs and several ACX models. My point was about reference designs although in comparison to my 980 ACX, My FE has the look and feel of better build quality. I have yet to put an AIB version of a 1070 in my hand

So, one major property of the "Founders Edition" concept is to be a design that won't change for the lifespan of the GPU production period?
Then why is there just a Special Limited Founders Edition for the GTX 1060?
I know it's limited in terms of distribution channel, but is it also limited in production time and/or numbers making it less available for computer builders in a while?
And how come nobody but me seems to have reacted on this?

I know it's limited in terms of distribution channel, but is it also limited in production time and/or numbers making it less available for computer builders in a while?

Nobody in their right mind would buy the 1060 FE?

So, one major property of the "Founders Edition" concept is to be a design that won't change for the lifespan of the GPU production period?
Yes.
No clue.
No clue.
No one gives a shit.

I can see Nvidia doing this founders edition crap on higher end. But really? You need a more pricier version of a 250 dollar card? This is Nvidia: "since you hate your money give is 50 more cuz we know you are stupid"

Just when I thought Nvidia wouldn't insult us with another founders edition especially on midrange card well they found another way to charge extra 50 for no reason. Must say they got some balls and they need a kick in it.

I can see Nvidia doing this founders edition crap on higher end. But really? You need a more pricier version of a 250 dollar card? This is Nvidia: "since you hate your money give is 50 more cuz we know you are stupid"

Just when I thought Nvidia wouldn't insult us with another founders edition especially on midrange card well they found another way to charge extra 50 for no reason. Must say they got some balls and they need a kick in it.

'since we know you are stupid we are going to sell you a card with 16+4 power phases that is complete overkill, barely costs more than a normal board with a sensible power delivery configuration and we'll advertise it as an extreme overclocking card, sell high ASIC gpus with a huge premium (on top of the premium for the card) and advertise banal features like "0db mode" ' every AIB ever. :p

1060 FE makes more sense than 1080/1070 Imo, being exclusive to nvidia distribution channel means it provides viable alternative to silly price gouged MSI gaming versions for example, and price is actually at MSRP. I wouldn't buy a blower cooler card in general, let alone one that costs more than cards with better cooling solutions. There's a market for it though, and they'll be in sale for the lifetime of the card

Newegg just jacked the price of the 1070 ASUS STRIX non-OC and OC editions by 100 USD making the 1080 FE look like a bargain now. :rage:

Newegg just jacked the price of the 1070 ASUS STRIX non-OC and OC editions by 100 USD making the 1080 FE look like a bargain now. :rage:

Lol that may be the reason they are doing it lol. Gotta sell em all! If they got FE modes sitting on shelf a nice way to clear them. Hahahha

Out of principle I am going to go way out of my way to not buy a fucking FE edition. I don't want nVidia getting any additional money thanks to a greedy ploy.

Out of principle I am going to go way out of my way to not buy a fucking FE edition. I don't want nVidia getting any additional money thanks to a greedy ploy.

I don't feel any worse knowing it's NV getting my money, if I anything I'd rather that than give extra money to an asshole retailers who jacks up prices :p

You have a point. But, as we've been playing games using the iGPU for over a year now we can be patient for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. If not maybe Vega/Volta will be around and we can wait for that launch to shake out. ;)

You have a point. But, as we've been playing games using the iGPU for over a year now we can be patient for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. If not maybe Vega/Volta will be around and we can wait for that launch to shake out. ;)

Frankly one thing I've learned following this generational transition very closely is that the smartest thing to do (for your wallet) is wait until something new releases and buy the old top of the line card for cheap.

Seriously those people who bought ~300-350euro 980Tis a month or two ago got the best deal possible, and no generational leap will offer that kind of perf/$, not until next gen at least :p

There's a Zotac 980 Ti AMP! Omega edition that's been going between 399 and 415 USD for the past month or so. Yet, the 1070 is more power-efficient and supports async slightly better. But if the 1070s continue to be price-gouged Zotac might get our money.

This is a serious question of mine referring to the article spawning this thread.
* FE (all GPUs) is aimed at professional computer builders that buy bulk volumes.
* Product(ion) consistency over time is paramount for the intended target group.
* The retail price is (in that respect) therefore irrelevant, only wholesale price matters!

Therefore it's strange to find some "Special Limited" edition that's supposed to be available in virtually unlimited quantities for a year or more...

My take on the Special Limited Edition FE is, unlike the 1070/1080 FE editions, the 1060 FE is only going to be sold direct from nVidia. The 1070/1080 FE cards are sold by both nVidia and AIBs.

That's what I got out of it but, as usual, I could be wrong.

Back