Nvidia cuts out reviewers for the GTS250 - Such dirty rats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I bought a 4870 instead of a GTX 260. I won't be buying another Nvidia product until they prove themselves as a good company.

Glad I bought a 4870 instead of a GTX 260. I won't be buying another Nvidia product until they prove themselves as a good company.

they are a good company, but seem to be very childish sometimes.

Most likely the reaction to the 4800 series kicking their asses in the price performance area at launch lol.

nvidia sucks ass.I cannot believe they are doing this shit.
I mean seriously how long are they gonna try to strecth out the same chip.This is stupid as all you know what.I am glad I am not pc gaming right now, if I was I would buy red right now and not look back.

Nvidia is doing the ole toilet swirl as they are watching themselves go down the shitter.I hope they get screwed by intel and go broke.I am so tired of the consumers getting screwed by companies like this.Lets go ati/amd

go red team go :) Nvidia has great products but their attitude leaves much to be desired, not that ATi hasn't had few moments of shame but lately Nvidia just seem out to royally screw loyal consumers over. If they rename one more damn card, really this is getting to be a joke.

I have to agree.
For the first time, I dont feel proud to own an Nvidia card.

seriously?! Rebranding the 9800GTX Plus to make up the mid range of the GTX 2xx line?!

thats total bull. I'm never buying an Nvidia card until they straighten this out.

nvidia sucks ass.I cannot believe they are doing this shit.
I mean seriously how long are they gonna try to strecth out the same chip.This is stupid as all you know what.I am glad I am not pc gaming right now, if I was I would buy red right now and not look back.

Nvidia is doing the ole toilet swirl as they are watching themselves go down the shitter.I hope they get screwed by intel and go broke.I am so tired of the consumers getting screwed by companies like this.Lets go ati/amd

seriously?! Rebranding the 9800GTX Plus to make up the mid range of the GTX 2xx line?!

thats total bull. I'm never buying an Nvidia card until they straighten this out.

I cant believe some of you guys get so upset over marketing strategy.
This numbers game is not new and has been going on for years, not just with video cards but with all sorts of products.

No one with half a brain gets fooled, and who really cares about it anyway.

Umm, its more about NVidia preventing unbiased reviews.
(see thread title)

"The new parts are 55nm, just like the old"

Is he saying the 8800GT was 55nm? Either way, I don't know of one guy on this planet who likes Charlie.

I guess his arrogance gets website traffic, eh why not then.

One has to remember this marketing strategy has been used all over the place. The best example is AMDs Tri-Core CPUs are really quad core CPUs that had one damaged or failed core. AMD and NVidia have been rebranding stuff for a while now it's an incredibly smart idea because they make larger profit margins on products they don't have to spend R&D on.

See what you get for being honest, Kyle!
Now you don't get to review 9800gtx again until releace. :rolleyes:

If it was just a marketing strategy and not some pale ploy why get defensive and ban reviewers?
This is the same sort of stuff 3dfx did to Tom's Hardware right before they went under.

If I was a betting man I'd say something went horribly wrong, and they produced another dud chip and are about to get their lunch eaten by AMD/ATi.

I don't know why so many of you get so hot and botherd over what the company does that doesn't directly affect the performance of their products, and to go as far as saying you wont buy anything from them...

You could buy a GTX260 and be amazingly happy with it, and if you don't pay attention to stuff like this then none of it matters.

I just don't understand how what a company does (such as this) affects if you will buy one of their products. Its not like the two have anything to do with eachother. THAT is a bit childish IMHO.

it's one thing to re-brand old tech to try and milk it some more, but it another to try and force people to not tell the truth about that... that's kind of fucked up imo.

If it was just a marketing strategy and not some pale ploy why get defensive and ban reviewers?
This is the same sort of stuff 3dfx did to Tom's Hardware right before they went under.

If I was a betting man I'd say something went horribly wrong, and they produced another dud chip and are about to get their lunch eaten by AMD/ATi.

Whats to review? It's a rebranded 9800gtx, altough I doubt that they want too many peole knowing that. G92 is not a dud chip, it's their bread and butter right now. They have made a killing from it. Roumer has it that they are sending this out to review sites that have been giving Physix and Cuda favorable reviews.

it's one thing to re-brand old tech to try and milk it some more, but it another to try and force people to not tell the truth about that... that's kind of fucked up imo.

yeah but trying to hide it at the same time is just flat out wrong.

Don't they all do this with previews? Look at the previews for the 55nm GTX260 where reviewers were only allowed to test 5 games that their drivers are made for like Crysis and Dead Space.

ATI is definitely going to take advantage of this situation. NVidia needs to pucker up. If they have nothing new due to the economic situation and its affect on consumers, NVidia just need to admit that.

ATI is definitely going to take advantage of this situation. NVidia needs to pucker up. If they have nothing new due to the economic situation and its affect on consumers, NVidia just need to admit that.

How and with what? AMD is doing worse than Nvidia financaly. They will be selling it for cheaper than the current retail price for a 9800gtx and it still outperforms a 4850.

Whats to review? It's a rebranded 9800gtx, altough I doubt that they want too many peole knowing that. G92 is not a dud chip, it's their bread and butter right now. They have made a killing from it. Roumer has it that they are sending this out to review sites that have been giving Physix and Cuda favorable reviews.

Are you asking? Obviously theres nothing to review. Which makes me wonder if they just didnt die-shrink an existing chip to cover up another design failure. They've done the same thing several times in their history.

They just havent ever been as aggressive in attacking reviewers before. This kind of attack usually indicates some kind of internal problem. 3dfx did it a year before they kicked the bucket.

I think the idea is that they can rebrand it once again, but if nobody knows, then the unwitting and ones who don't do their research (which is the vast majority of people), will buy it thinking it's the same new tech as the GTX 260 and 280, and pay more for it... depending on how much they sell it for that is.

I'm willing to bet it'll be for more than what a 9800GTX+ is going for right now, even if it is only slightly more.

Are you asking? Obviously theres nothing to review. Which makes me wonder if they just didnt die-shrink an existing chip to cover up another design failure. They've done the same thing several times in their history.

They just havent ever been as aggressive in attacking reviewers before. This kind of attack usually indicates some kind of internal problem. 3dfx did it a year before they kicked the bucket.

What kind of design problem? Its probably the most common gpu on the market today (G92). I think something may have come up by now it's 3 year old tech.

Does a GTX285 run any faster than a 280 clock for clock, no. Does a GTX285 overclock any better than a 280, rarely. But, Ive still seen people upgrade from a 280 to a 295. I think that's all that they are trying to cover up, but aren't all hardware previews heavily monitored.

while i'm pretty upset about this, i think those predicting nvidia tanking soon are taking this way out of proportion. isn't an nvidia chipset inside basically EVERY mac notebook being sold now (not the air, but do people seriously consider that a notebook)? it's going to make its way into the mac mini / imacs soon as well. that's a lot of chip sales. nvidia will do fine.

one thing i am really pissed about is the numbering system. the difference between a gtx260 and 9800gtx+ is NOT half the difference between a 9800gtx and a gtx260. nor is it twice the difference between a gtx280 and gtx285. it's not even close to any of those.

also, has anyone else noticed the new 9600gt based 9600gso's that they've been trying to pawn off on people?

What kind of design problem? Its probably the most common gpu on the market today (G92). I think something may have come up by now it's 3 year old tech.

Does a GTX285 run any faster than a 280 clock for clock, no. Does a GTX285 overclock any better than a 280, rarely. But, Ive still seen people upgrade from a 280 to a 295. I think that's all that they are trying to cover up, but aren't all hardware previews heavily monitored.

I think you answered your own question about the design problem. Its 3 year old tech. I find it hard to believe this part is what they planned for this release. I find it even more hard to believe that they'd be attacking reviewers if it was planned.

Also, even though [H] commented on this in one of their latest articles, I refuse to read anything Charlie writes, ESPECIALLY if it is about NVIDIA because he HATES them and it is his life mission to make them look bad.

Also, my previous comment was deleted for no reason. Not a personal attack in it.

This is disappointing. I think if by the time I change to i7 Nvidia still doesn't have their head screwed on straight, im going the ATi route. Atleast I'll know what im getting isnt just some re-branded three year old chip. They need some serious revision in their marketing and their overall business plan.

It seems like just yesterday that I was reading ads in magazines for 4800 baud modems, but when you read the small print it turned out that they were 2400 baud modems with a compression feature, which sort of gave the apparent speed increase of up to 4800 baud. Sort of. Depending on the data.

Dishonest marketing? Really? Awful. ;)

This is disappointing. I think if by the time I change to i7 Nvidia still doesn't have their head screwed on straight, im going the ATi route. Atleast I'll know what im getting isnt just some re-branded three year old chip. They need some serious revision in their marketing and their overall business plan.

We already know which Nvidia video cards are re-branded though. It isn't the 260, 280, 285 (well... no comment), or 295. It's only the upcoming 250. As long as you do your research, you should know exactly what you are buying.

If it's an ethical reason, well that's fine... although ATI is not unblemished either.

We already know which Nvidia video cards are re-branded though. It isn't the 260, 280, 285 (well... no comment), or 295. It's only the upcoming 250. As long as you do your research, you should know exactly what you are buying.

If it's an ethical reason, well that's fine... although ATI is not unblemished either.

How many Joes do actual research when they walk into a shop and buy these things. They will take the sales guy's word that it's new tech at face value and pay higher price for it.

How many Joes do actual research when they walk into a shop and buy these things. They will take the sales guy's word that it's new tech at face value and pay higher price for it.

I already pointed that out in my post earlier. I was referring to the guy who KNOWS what's going on, but said he would buy ATI so that he didn't get a re-branded card....

Like I said, do your research and you'll know which card is new tech and which is old. If it's a moral thing though, well that's fine, it's your choice. I was just pointing out like others though that ATI does not have a clean track record either, although I think they've been relatively clean for the last year or so at least.

ATI will take advantage, and the best thing about it is they can afford to cut their prices on their current lineup of cards. cant wait till the 4870x2's are going cheap.

totally.. but honestly, how did they think the cat would not get out of the bag? that's just not realistic.

I don't know, but I know it's not a smart move at all. It only makes people pissed and switch over to ATi or not buy any upcoming rebrands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back