NVIDIA confirms next-gen GPUs will be based on 7nm, coming 2020

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
Last month, a DigiTimes report cited market sources’ claims that the first Nvidia chips to get the Samsung 7nm node would be from the upcoming Ampere generation.

But yesterday's announcement from Nvidia Korea is the first official word that it is jumping on Samsung’s 7nm EUV. Samsung itself had touted Nvidia as one of its 7nm launch partners, which would suggest a mid-2020 release for potential Ampere GPUs.

As Yoo Eung-joon said:

“It is meaningful that Samsung Electronics’ 7-nanometer process would be used in manufacturing our next-generation GPU. Until recently, Samsung has been working really hard to secure (partners) for foundry cooperation.”

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190702000692

This should be a great generation for NV. They work very well with the foundries to tweak the process for their GPU's and I expect no less this time with Samsung.

My wallet is ready for a 3080 Ti.

2nd gen RTX cards should be much better...I thought they would have them ready before Cyberpunk 2077 hits...could be this generations Crysis

2nd gen RTX cards should be much better...I thought they would have them ready before Cyberpunk 2077 hits...could be this generations Crysis

I suspect it'll be more than just cyberpunk. Any game worth beans at E3 was jumping on the raytracing bandwagon. And we all know how great it runs on current hardware....first gen and all.

Is the price coming down due to higher yields? Or will NV still try for s super high price despite higher yields and hopefully more mature processes being shrunk. $1.3k a pop is a bit much.

Will probably be longer than that, at least until good aftermarket versions come out if they pull the Founders Edition nonsense again. Personally I'd just upgrade now and then upgrade again next year.

If you're after custom PCBs, probably. Though for both Pascal and Turing good custom AIB models didn't take too terribly long to release. At least compared to what's been seen from cards in prior generations.

Wow, what a revelation, no way anyone could have seen that coming! :D ;) No guarantee that they will be good though, just because "7nm"......

Oh yeah! I hope it's good and priced right.(I am hopeful)

Oh yeah! I hope it's good and priced right.(I am hopeful)

They will be priced according to what Nvidia feels is right and the market can support. Which means we won't be seeing early Pascal pricing. Probably something more in line with Turing Super pricing, or higher.

They will be priced according to what Nvidia feels is right and the market can support. Which means we won't be seeing early Pascal pricing. Probably something more in line with Turing Super pricing, or higher.
I know, but one can hope. There is still time since high end VR hasn't got to the point that it's fully needed.(Though the Pimax 8K X is an exception)

keep-calm-and-love-nvidia-7.png

This should be a great generation for NV. They work very well with the foundries to tweak the process for their GPU's and I expect no less this time with Samsung.

My wallet is ready for a 3080 Ti.

They have already used Samsung in the past, when early TSMC 14nmn couldn't handle the volume. The most popular Pascal GPU ever sold (1050 Ti) was fabbed exclusively at Samsung.

NVIDIA just used TSMC for Turning because the process was free, and it's cheaper to use a single foundry.

I've seen rumors for this for the last six months; it's only "news" because of the press release!

Back