NVIDIA CEO Sees Tenfold Growth in Mobile-Chip Biz

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently NVIDIA's CEO said he expects tenfold growth in the mobile chip business? Expects? Or is that what he is hoping for. ;)

Huang, speaking to a roundtable of reporters today, said he expects revenue from its mobile-chip business to grow tenfold, to $20 billion by 2015. In comparison, the graphics processor business is expected to grow 75 percent, to $7 billion in the same time frame. "We'll be quite a force to contend with," Huang said.

Maybe he just wants his stocks to go up. Me thinks he needs more investment funding for a new design?

Maybe he's gloating about suckering Google into mandating Tegra 2 for the first round of Honeycomb tablets...the tablets may not be selling all that well, but Nvidia sure sold a hell of a lot of SoCs to Samsung, Motorola, Asus and others.

Maybe he's gloating about suckering Google into mandating Tegra 2 for the first round of Honeycomb tablets...the tablets may not be selling all that well, but Nvidia sure sold a hell of a lot of SoCs to Samsung, Motorola, Asus and others.

It sounds like Tegra 3 is going to be the default chip for Windows 8, so they should be set.

I'm pretty sure there want much mandating going on, it does seem to be the cheapest soc right now

I'd be more interested with Nvidia working on a X86 processor. If recent events have anything to say, is that the mobile market only has value in the smart phone. The tablets from HP and Samsung aren't selling. Well, unless you count the sudden drop of HP tablets down to $100.

No doubt nvidia has been doing a lot of deals with it's tegra 2 chip, and more in the works with it's Tegra 3 chip. It's ok in my phone, although it does get hot and the atrix has the biggest battery of any phone (so far), but that's par for the course for nvidia.

What I would be more interested in is better software integration (ie: better android drivers, and better codecs for the hardware movie decoders). As fast as the dual core Tegra 2 chip may be, it just does not feel as smooth as ios, and I absolutely cannot stand ios but I cannot argue it's integration is smoother.

Actually,the Atrix getting hot as quite a bit more to do with the Radio, and not the Tegra 2 :eek: check out XDA devs on that, though you need to use a SBF flash to update the radio code... :(

Actually,the Atrix getting hot as quite a bit more to do with the Radio, and not the Tegra 2 :eek: check out XDA devs on that, though you need to use a SBF flash to update the radio code... :(

Thanks. I noticed that, and the GPS really makes it warm up too. Hmm, SBF flash...

well looks like the strategy worked.... nvidia stock is up 10% from him claiming this.

I'd be more interested with Nvidia working on a X86 processor. If recent events have anything to say, is that the mobile market only has value in the smart phone. The tablets from HP and Samsung aren't selling. Well, unless you count the sudden drop of HP tablets down to $100.

Intel has made it clear they will never get a license. Android's tablet issue is simply that once you get past a certain price you might as well get an ipad. Yes cheaper ones exist but no one here is man enough to admit that they suck or require mods which most people won't know how to do.

It's ok in my phone, although it does get hot and the atrix has the biggest battery of any phone (so far), but that's par for the course for nvidia.

Actually, no it's not. It's par for the course for *any smart phone under load in a .5 inch thinkness frame*.

Besides, don't try to conflate a Tegra with a GeForce GPU. Tegra has 2 of the same reference ARM CPU cores that other chipmakers have (i.e. not custom), and a very old, non-unified (i.e. pre-8800 series in terms of architecture) GPU in there. There are no inherent power concerns with chips that old.

Intel has made it clear they will never get a license. Android's tablet issue is simply that once you get past a certain price you might as well get an ipad. Yes cheaper ones exist but no one here is man enough to admit that they suck or require mods which most people won't know how to do.

If x86 could ever compete watt for watt with ARM, it would be interesting to see if the market rewards ARM for being an "open licensor" rather than a closed one like Intel. The market (product makers and end-users) tends to like more vendors than less, as that drives more competition, and drives down prices of those components so they can make better products faster.

well looks like the strategy worked.... nvidia stock is up 10% from him claiming this.

Here's to hoping it continues to go up. I am hoping for the stock to rise when Kal-El is released.

(Bought my shares at 13.39/share a month ago.)

Well anyone who isn't completely blind can see that's where computing is headed. We'll do most of our computing through our phones, and anything that can't be done will be done though some sort of "whole home computer" device with various interfaces throughout your home which will load your personal desktop via your phone probably through a combo of NFC and WiFi Direct or something similar when you place your phone within range.

Of course, that's assuming that you're doing something that the processing power of a phone can't handle, the list of which is getting smaller every day. In any other case, the interface will just communicate directly with the phone.

That's how I see it anyway. Desktops and laptops will always exist, but they will become more and more of a niche as time goes on.

I see the Atrix being an example (poorly implemented, to be sure) of what the future holds for computing, myself. Everything focused on a portable device, when you need to sit down and do more substantial work, it goes into a dock and provides the processing power for your terminal. When you're done, you remove it and all of your work goes with you. The main concern I have with this is security though: if someone can steal that device, then they have access to a lot of potentially sensitive information. But that's already an issue right now.

I see the Atrix being an example (poorly implemented, to be sure) of what the future holds for computing, myself. Everything focused on a portable device, when you need to sit down and do more substantial work, it goes into a dock and provides the processing power for your terminal. When you're done, you remove it and all of your work goes with you. The main concern I have with this is security though: if someone can steal that device, then they have access to a lot of potentially sensitive information. But that's already an issue right now.

The Atrix can self encrypt everything in memory & sd card + remote wipe. But security is still a big issue though... especially with the digital wallets google & company are/will be pushing... losing your phone could be disastrous. Saving work remotely via VPN is the best alternative I found so far when working with my Atrix as a "netbook".

It's impressive seeing your phone running Autocad I have to admit. It is a basic version, but still, it is doing it, and it works.

The main concern I have with this is security though: if someone can steal that device, then they have access to a lot of potentially sensitive information. But that's already an issue right now.

As long as you aren't an engineer at Apple, you should be OK. :p

Back