Nvidia Cards With Hyper-V

BfA

Limp Gawd
I'm running Windows 8.1 and have Hyper-V running. I've created a VM and installed CentOS 6.5 on it. I'm only able to get three resolution options from the default installation so I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded the Linux drivers for the 660. When I tried to install it on the VM I was told that it had no hardware that was supported by that driver. I'm guessing that there's something I have to do to get high DPI resolutions supported.

Does anyone know how video card pass through works so that I can utilize my default resolution when using a Linux VM?

I'm running Windows 8.1 and have Hyper-V running. I've created a VM and installed CentOS 6.5 on it. I'm only able to get three resolution options from the default installation so I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded the Linux drivers for the 660. When I tried to install it on the VM I was told that it had no hardware that was supported by that driver. I'm guessing that there's something I have to do to get high DPI resolutions supported.

Does anyone know how video card pass through works so that I can utilize my default resolution when using a Linux VM?

Did you install guest extensions in the OS after install on VM?

I'm not sure if this is the feature that's needed:

Hyper-V-specific video device: This feature provides high-performance graphics and superior resolution for virtual machines.

It looks like it may be available in version 6.3? On this chart 6.5 isn't listed:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531026.aspx

It looks like Ubuntu 13.10 supports it though:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531029.aspx

Ubuntu 13.10 doesn't work either, at least connecting to it via Hyper-V Manager. I'll try connecting to it remotely. I need to find what Linux's version of RDP is though as I don't know what else to use except Putty.

Generally, the physical GPU isn't passed through to the VM machine

Generally, the physical GPU isn't passed through to the VM machine

I realize that, but I should still be able to use the full resolution of my monitor so I'm wondering how to install the driver or pass through my hardware capability?

What you need to install are integration services. These are the drivers for the virtual hardware. As was alluded to earlier, the vms don't (AFAIK) have direct access to the hardware. The video card in a vm will be something like, "Microsoft Hyper-V Video" under device manager (Windows OS).

The guest VM has to be supported (meaning drivers) by your Host for it to function properly; otherwise you wind up with issues like the one you are having with limited res.

What you need to install are integration services. These are the drivers for the virtual hardware. As was alluded to earlier, the vms don't (AFAIK) have direct access to the hardware. The video card in a vm will be something like, "Microsoft Hyper-V Video" under device manager (Windows OS).

The guest VM has to be supported (meaning drivers) by your Host for it to function properly; otherwise you wind up with issues like the one you are having with limited res.

Thanks, integration services was the search term I was looking for. That lead me to what I believe is the correct download:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41554

For anyone else looking, it looks like a new version comes out in the fall every year (or at least has for the last three years).

Well, I installed the file and restarted, but no luck. By running lspci I get:

00:8.0 VGA compatible controller: Microsoft Corporation Hyper-V virtual VGA

I'm going to try editing the xorg.conf to see if that might work, though when I ran Xorg :l -configure it aborted and I got an error.

Well this link may or may not help, I tried the first sectoin that was recomended but all it suceeded in doing when I restarted was giving me an error.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthr...-capability-in-Microsoft-Hyper-V-virtual-box/

I didn't have an xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file so I created one with VI and added this, then restarted:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default.Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

So now it won't boot, doesn't matter too much as it's a test VM, but does anyone know a command to run at the start so I can remove what I added?

Back