Nvidia 980/970 Availability Thread

Asus Strix 980 is at Newegg NOW! I think this is the first sighting of this card anywhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121905
Ordered, thanks.

Sales Order Date: 10/3/2014 3:13:25 PM
Shipping Method: ShopRunner 2Day

1 x ($579.99) ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 980 4GB 2 $579.99
Subtotal: $579.99
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $579.99

Yeah these have not been here in USA yet but have reviews overseas and look like a great card.

EDIT: Now I am driving myself nuts. I already ordered an Asus reference 980 from Amazon but it has not shipped yet. The reference card uses WAY less power and the clock difference is only around 60 mhz. The Strix will certainly oc a bit higher but it seems many reference cards are not too far off. The reference cards do amazing for their modest cooler and phase count. Also down the road I am thinking the reference card may be easier to sell since many will upgrade to SLI and its better suited. What to keep?

If I open the STRIX card from Newegg then its mine or I have to replace with same as that is their policy on the those cards. Luckily my 970 has a standard vga return policy.

Last edited:
You are at 4.8 and many Haswell cpus cant do more than 4.6 so you have nothing to really upgrade to as for as gaming is concerned.

Ya I noticed that every game I'm comparing to the latest benchmarks with 5 980s and my fps are close or a little more. Funny thing is I have a 5930k coming but I'm not sure if I'll keep it after seeing the Fps I'm getting g.

For SLI, should I go with reference or Strix?

reference

Reference cards typically don't OC as much and run hotter though. I think Strix is fine as long as you have good case cooling. I'm going SLI with Gigabyte 970 but I have like 10 case fans lol -- 2x 140mm front + 1x 120mm bottom + 2x 140mm bottom + 2x 120mm side intake; 2x 140mm back + 1x 140mm top exhaust (+ 2x 140mm CPU top exhaust). The Enthoo Primo is basically a windbox lol :D

Last edited:
These cards run cool enough that you don't need to go reference heatsinks with sli. I'm using tri - sli and having no issues cooling the cards (they are sandwiched together)

These cards run cool enough that you don't need to go reference heatsinks with sli. I'm using tri - sli and having no issues cooling the cards (they are sandwiched together)

Are they right against one another? Can you post a pic? Temps of each card, if you could?

I'm looking to do this as well! My X58 board has no spacing between the 3 X16 slots.

Are they right against one another? Can you post a pic? Temps of each card, if you could?

I'm looking to do this as well! My X58 board has no spacing between the 3 X16 slots.

Cards are right against each other, I have the PCI-Express slots to spread them out, but sli bridges are not long enough, I am in contact with MSI to try and get some longer SLI bridges, there are some on Ebay, but I am not paying $50 for one lol.

This is my setup:

WQnrQ7C.jpg

Basically as far as airflow goes that back fan blows air into the case and the front fans exhaust it. That top fan blows air onto the cards. I just ran Unigine Heaven benchmark for 30 minutes to see where temps would land and what the boost clock would stabilize at. Boost clock hovered around 1280MHz for all 3 cards. I have a very steep fan curve setup for the cards to avoid them reaching that 80C throttle point:

3aGOcZ3.png

The cards are not loud with this fan curve, but after 30 minutes of Heaven, the temps on the top 2 cards were right at 78C, the bottom card was at 58C.

I am really hoping MSI can help me out with a couple extended sli bridges to solve my issue.

Thanks for the info buddy. I really appreciate it. I'm using a 600t with 4 120mm fans on the side. I was figuring on Making the fans exhaust the air from the gpus. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for the info buddy. I really appreciate it. I'm using a 600t with 4 120mm fans on the side. I was figuring on Making the fans exhaust the air from the gpus. Thoughts on this?

The way the heatsink is designed the hot air is pushed out of the side of the card, so yeah i would make the side panel fans exhaust.

My Zotac Omega 970 is out for delivery. This being a Monday will make the day even less productive :eek:

I would just keep them as they are.

Blow cool air into the case as much as possible.
With that case the air will be right on the GPUs, the exhaust fan in the back will take care of the hot air.....or you could use a top mounted to exhaust the heat.

Heat doesn't go sideways, it rises.:D

My brick came in today ;)

ItCOYoWl.jpg

Yep, 2.5 slots.

Ran it under Unigine Heaven for thirty minutes. GPU clock showed 1226 without any adjustments in Afterburner and temps leveled out at 74 degrees. It's pretty quiet as well, though I could still noticeably hear the fan it was not too loud. Easily covered over by headphones or speakers when gaming.

I'll hold onto it for now and try and play with it.

Anybody notice that AMD dropped the price of the R9 290X to $399 today?

Damn.

Competition is a good thing.......but I just lost about $200 value on my 290Xs.:eek:

Newegg had the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970 up for like 15 min....

Got one... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Snagged one too. I contacted asus via Twitter and they said 1-2 weeks before they had the Strix restocked. Ridiculous honestly. I don't understand how they can't meet demand like this. Asus lost a sale.

Anybody notice that AMD dropped the price of the R9 290X to $399 today?

Damn.

Competition is a good thing.......but I just lost about $200 value on my 290Xs.:eek:

Yeah, I have a feeling I might lose my ass on the watercooling gear I'm looking to get rid off :(. Oh well, I can understand the reason why!

NewEgg has the Gigabyte GTX 980 up for sale.

I was going to wait for EVGA but I see a lot of complaints about fan noise.

Did I make the right choice with Gigabyte? I've never had video cards from them before...

NewEgg has the Gigabyte GTX 980 up for sale.

I was going to wait for EVGA but I see a lot of complaints about fan noise.

Did I make the right choice with Gigabyte? I've never had video cards from them before...

You'll know soon enough if it was the right choice, as will I. I've already gone through two evga and a very whiny msi. Hopefully this will be the one. Too bad it's not the gaming version, but whatever.

I would just keep them as they are.

Blow cool air into the case as much as possible.
With that case the air will be right on the GPUs, the exhaust fan in the back will take care of the hot air.....or you could use a top mounted to exhaust the heat.

Heat doesn't go sideways, it rises.:D

I added the H100i to it... will that impede the performance?

I was planning on trying to offset the H100i a bit, to push/pull.

I'm going through hell installing this 980... looks like my old Z68 mobo don't like Nvidia's new baby... :(

Anyone can chime on the GTX 970 Armour 2X from MSI? I`m on the verge of buying one from Amazon?

Zotac's batmobile looking 980 is now available. 1393 rated boost clock :0.

I had to RMA my ZOTAC AMP! Omega Edition 980 due to it being defective. That was my first ZOTAC and it's not impressive. I couldn't see much value in the USB connection with the additional monitoring.

I had to RMA my ZOTAC AMP! Omega Edition 980 due to it being defective. That was my first ZOTAC and it's not impressive. I couldn't see much value in the USB connection with the additional monitoring.

The cards with these gimmicks aren't worth the extra cash. My vanilla Asus 980 does 1500Mhz boost all day long. They're all the same at this point.

Back