Nvidia 980/970 Availability Thread

Ok guys Im on the fence. I know the 970 is a great value but is the 980 worth the premium price? I'm not into maximizing fps at whatever cost but getting value for my money.
Most reviews have shown that the 970 is easily overclocked and can reach close to 980-levels of performance without breaking a sweat. Of course the 980 can also be overclocked, but as n=1 pointed out you already answered your own question.

Most reviews have shown that the 970 is easily overclocked and can reach close to 980-levels of performance without breaking a sweat. Of course the 980 can also be overclocked, but as n=1 pointed out you already answered your own question.

Just to clarify, I just wanted some feedback from folks using these cards "in the wild". I have read many reviews and getting feedback from real people helps when I go to purchase a game and hardware.

From the looks of it, I am going to get a 970 and OC it. I've been a primarily EVGA customer, but looks like this round EVGA has some QA issues. Waiting on Asus to restock retailers soon or might just pull trigger on an MSI this weekend.

Just to clarify, I just wanted some feedback from folks using these cards "in the wild". I have read many reviews and getting feedback from real people helps when I go to purchase a game and hardware.

From the looks of it, I am going to get a 970 and OC it. I've been a primarily EVGA customer, but looks like this round EVGA has some QA issues. Waiting on Asus to restock retailers soon or might just pull trigger on an MSI this weekend.
There is a lot of discussion about overclocking results from users in this thread. It includes discussion about both the 980 and 970.

The pcb/power delivery on that card looks beastly (in a good way). Is that a usb connector near the end of the oc cover on the back? Hmmm.

I saw a video with a Zotac guy saying that it plugged into the mobo and was to monitor voltage and temps etc.. I can't find the video right now though.. :eek:

Im assuming the EK waterblocks are only compatible with the reference coolers. are there any 8 pin cards that will work with EKs blocks or any other waterblock for that mater. Trying to figure out the best card to get.

Good to see Zotac stepping up. Their amp cards have always been known for being binned.
Im assuming the EK waterblocks are only compatible with the reference coolers. are there any 8 pin cards that will work with EKs blocks or any other waterblock for that mater. Trying to figure out the best card to get.

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/

Search the card you are looking for there for compatibility. My ek 980 waterblock + backplate (ordered from ppcs) arrives on monday :).

newegg seems to have 980's randomly popping in but disappearing in little time. i checked yesterday and they had 4 gigabyte 980 windforces so i have 2 on the way.

I still haven't been able to find any MSI 970s available anywhere.

Yeah they seem to be tough to find. I was looking for the Gaming 4G myself when I got in touch with corporate of the retail chain I was shopping through. They said MSi had not been responding to any communications about card availability and had said nothing since launch of Maxwell. He told me other chains were having similar problems with MSi contact info & stock. Maybe they were allocated less gpus than other AIBs? I also saw an MSi rep say they had to stop putting a sticker on one of their new gaming cards fans for one reason or another. That may have held up production somewhat. Just my 2c.

Myself I jumped on a Gigabyte card as it was the first, and only one available anywhere near me. Hell I would have gone Zotac in a heartbeat as well.

Just plucked two evga 980's at my local frys. I'll have to sneak these past my wife and swap my current cards like nothing happened.

Every time I search for "Gsync" on my phone, it auto corrects to "gay couples"...I have an iPhone.

And gone.

Qsbfs.jpg

Just plucked two evga 980's at my local frys. I'll have to sneak these past my wife and swap my current cards like nothing happened.

Lucky :) Checked my local Fry's locations (Houston). Only one location has one and when I reserved it for in-store pickup it showed as "open box". No thanks.

dayum... Christmas in October. get'm while their hot peeps.

MSI and Gigabyte are back in stock at the egg.

I'm pissed because I ordered a Strix thinking that the MSI would be impossible to get for the next few weeks and of course MSI comes back in stock like a minute after I order the Strix.

When I clicked cancel order on the strix, it gave me an error and all of a sudden it's in "Packaging" status. Are you kidding me?? It went to packaging within a minute of ordering?

MSI and Gigabyte are back in stock at the egg.

I'm pissed because I ordered a Strix thinking that the MSI would be impossible to get for the next few weeks and of course MSI comes back in stock like a minute after I order the Strix.

When I clicked cancel order on the strix, it gave me an error and all of a sudden it's in "Packaging" status. Are you kidding me?? It went to packaging within a minute of ordering?

I'm in the same boat as you :( but I've heard good things about the strix and they have a 30 day return on it

:p
yea i didn't find shoprunner either. but at least i'm in california so even with 4-7 day shipping it will prob arrive monday/tuesday

I'm in the same boat as you :( but I've heard good things about the strix and they have a 30 day return on it

call them up. I had ordered the damn eVGA ACX2's (sort of out of desperation, and shame, lol) and then the STRIX came in stock.. I called them and they cancelled my other order even though it was in packaging.. they were super cool about it also. The egg is back in my good graces. :)

Anyone know if newegg will charge a restocking fee if I refuse the package? Maybe I'll have to sell it on ebay. :(

I just had this conversation with a newegg customer service person. They will not charge a restocking fee if the original product box is unopened. If you refuse the package I think they get charged for the trip back though.. they might bite you on that. I would just open the shipping box, verify the contents, and return it with the product boxes unopened. Or call them now and see if they can cancel the order over the phone. They were able to for me.

I just had this conversation with a newegg customer service person. They will not charge a restocking fee if the original product box is unopened. If you refuse the package I think they get charged for the trip back though.. they might bite you on that. I would just open the shipping box, verify the contents, and return it with the product boxes unopened. Or call them now and see if they can cancel the order over the phone. They were able to for me.
Why open it at all?

call them up. I had ordered the damn eVGA ACX2's (sort of out of desperation, and shame, lol) and then the STRIX came in stock.. I called them and they cancelled my other order even though it was in packaging.. they were super cool about it also. The egg is back in my good graces. :)

Yup you are correct, however I was informed that the new order wouldn't go out til tomorrow so I'd have to wait the weekend to get it. I'll stick with the Asus. Thanks for the heads up :)

Just cancelled through the customer service chat. Phew!

"Jasmine J.: Thank you for holding. John, I have cancelled your order successfully. It will take 3-5 business days for the refund to appear in your original form of payment. You will receive an order cancellation email later."

Just cancelled through the customer service chat. Phew!

"Jasmine J.: Thank you for holding. John, I have cancelled your order successfully. It will take 3-5 business days for the refund to appear in your original form of payment. You will receive an order cancellation email later."
Thats another thing about newegg that pisses me off. They charge your card immediately and then if you have a problem your card will still get charge or have a hold on it. Amazon has the decency to wait and charge you when they ship it.

BTW if someone wants they better hurry and get the last MSI 970 as I just removed it from my cart...

Yup you are correct, however I was informed that the new order wouldn't go out til tomorrow so I'd have to wait the weekend to get it. I'll stick with the Asus. Thanks for the heads up :)

NP! I am sticking with the Asus also... looks like a sweet little card. I hope they ship today.. we're on that cusp where it should if they move quickly. :)

Last edited:
^ One of many reasons I love amazon.
I ordered the ASUS reference 980 from them too. I was scared to get it from newegg since they only have "vga replacement" for the 980 cards and I am worried about coil whine. Hopefully the 980 works out and the I will return my 970 to newegg for a full refund.

Gigabyte G1 970 back in stock, should only last a few minutes

Back