• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Nvidia 1060 GTX Recommendations

brakiachi

n00b
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
14
Started picking up parts for a new computer. Noticed since I made the part list the video card I had picked jumped in price quite a bit.

I was initially looking at an MSI 1060 GTX Armor 6GB OCV1. Initially priced at $345 now it is at $420. Looking at alternatives I saw I could get the MSI 1060 GTX 6GB OCV1 for cheaper (~$380). It only has 1 hdmi, which is ok because only 1 of my monitors has hdmi. Are there other performance issues to be aware.

What other alternatives are there? I've picked up most of the parts already: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/brakiachi/saved/LQZm8d
Was hoping to keep it close to $1000.
 
I have an EVGA 1060 3GB.
It wildly outperformed my expectations.
 
Most of the 10 series cards perform like there counter parts. The biggest difference is going to be cooling.. Some designs are just better than others..
 
Last edited:
My preference would be MSI Gaming X, or even just the Gaming (minus the X). I feel like those are the best coolers out there. I wish the standard accent color was titanium, rather than red, but hasn't stopped me from buying them.
 
If you can find a Strix it is the best in business.

Whilst I cannot comment on the 1060 strix specifically. I MUCH preferred my EVGA 1070 SC dual fan over my Asus 1070 OC Strix I'm using now (EVGA stopped working for some odd reason, have another EVGA card working strong, so I do not fault the manufacturer). The Strix is louder by far, heavier/larger. The latter is not necessarily an issue if you have a large/easy case to work with. For me personally the GTX 1070 EVGA was perfect fit in my ITX Ncase M1, and even in the small enclosure, was consistently quieter than the strix 1070. This is only based on my experience with both inside a small ITX case, however.
 
I think I'm going to wait it out until prices drop on the video cards. Turns out my coworker has a used gigabyte 750 ti that he will sell me for 50 bucks. I just can't make myself bite the bullet on something that a year ago was a hundred bucks cheaper.
 
I just bought the MSI Gaming X 6G from newegg for $379, after much research into the design, I felt it was the best for the price right now 5+1 phase power and great heatsink. Though the back plate does not seem to have any cooling purpose. The only issue I could find that seemed to be common, was a certain percentage have an issue where on of the fans won't spin up under load, but that latest case I could find was 8 months old.

EDIT: Got the card installed, latest drivers installed, 390.01 (no 3D vision or GFE installed), and it's running great. Fans both kick in at 60c, temps never get above 65c@800rpm, though I have great case ventilation. Only benchmarks and stress tests so far, will hit some games later and post back if any issues pop up. Seems like a fantastic card, would be a lot better at MSRP though. I did add a support bracket, it is freaking heavy as hell...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HTWN6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
40580684011_00e96b6a6c_h.jpg
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top