• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nvidea VS amd forget speed why one

sparks

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
3,206
I was just thinking (OK I don't do that oftern) about a new video card. 7970 or 670.
But what I was thinking was not just speed but what does one offer the other does not?
Some have said that N has forgotten the desktop and A has not.
Others shout PhysX and some say What or why while other just say who cares.

If you were comparing on something besides speed whats your thoughts.
Price the only thing you consider or ?
 
I'd say that performance wise and price wise both are pretty close.

The big things that make me chose Nvidia are (all subjective of course):

1. Better 3D support (no longer use 3D but was nice to have it).

2. Physx. Not seen by many as a major deal, but games that use it, like Borderlands 2 or Batman Arkham City, become so much more involving and pretty. Physx may not add anything to gameplay, but to go somewhere and see cloth fluttering about or smoke that moves arounds realistically really adds to the depth and feel of a game in my opinion.

3. Drivers. Don't know so much recently, but I think Nvidia has a better driver package myself. I've read that AMD has gotten much better here recently so to each their own.

That's about all I can think of...performance will be about the same either way you go, just depends on personal preference and what YOU want out of the video card. If you aren't using 3D or don't care about Physx then AMD is a very good choice.
 
SLI support is better than crossfirex
Nvidia has CUDA
AMD has better OpenCL support supposedly.
AMD scores higher in HQV tests
AMD is the choice for bitcoining
AMD is way faster in Double Precision computing.
Nvidia can force FXAA
 
AMD for single card, Nvidia for SLI. The crossfire drivers suck. I am playing BL2 with my amd cards and it plays butter smooth, I don't think physX would be worth the upgrade when I watch youtube videos of people playing on Nvidia cards. Mine looks just as good, maybe a little less fluff is all.
 
If we only buy from one of the manufacturers, the other one will go bust and trolls will not have anything left to do :D
 
I test these cards for a living. The Nvidia drivers are WAY better than AMD's. Trust me you won't regret the 670!
 
The Nvidia control panel has the look-and-feel of a full-fledged utility, whereas Catalyst control panel has always felt rough around the edges. Nvidia is also more informative about the settings, and you just don't hubs like geforce dot com from AMD. (I have to type out the URL because this board auto removes it for some reason.)

That said, AMD's new game bundles look pretty nice, and their latest driver package boosts performance across the board.

I personally don't think that a 7970 is worth ~$100 more than a 7950, if you are gaming at 1080p or lower. But I would recommend a GTX 670 over a 660 Ti any day, mostly because of the memory bandwidth.
 
Im sure either one is fine at this point. Nvidia has rightfully held the reputation as having the better cards and much better drivers this generation. They run cooler, faster, more efficient and are more robust performers.
Im not one for brand loyalty, and will happily go with either AMD or Nvidia. Nvidia got my money this generation with the GTX 670....twice
 
On my average powered system, nvidia lets me play gta IV on 1080 P with AA on (fxaa). If had an AMD card, I probably wouldn't use AA at all.
 
Nvidia's OpenGL support is much, much better. Getting older games to work seems to have much less issues than on AMD systems. Also there seems to be more stuff to play with in the drivers, like the framerate cap.
Nvidia cards are good for folding@home.
 
Back
Top