Nutanix CE? What are you running?

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by Outlaw85, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Outlaw85

Outlaw85 Gawd

While searching for the next "opportunity". I've been wanting to get Nutanix CE running in a lab to tinker around and keep learning.

I know the min physical specs:
    4 cores
    16gb memory
    Intel NIC
    2 drives minimum (1ssd, 1hdd) (max 4 drives)
    +200gb for hot tier
    satadom/8gb usb minimum for os/boot

I'm wondering if anybody here is running it and what they are using.

Ideally, I to spec out at least 3 of the same machines/builds. ITX (or even m-ATX) would be cool to build into a single server box but probably cost-prohibitive.

CPU- L5638 I'm hoping would work. They are older but the price is right and have a couple of extra cores with lower power consumption.
    MEM- Depends on new board. The board I have (S5500bc) now only supports 32gb and 2x L5638. May still work though. Looking at the prices... dang
    NIC- Shouldn't be an issue, I have intel cards and if it's an intel board, I'm hopeful they sourced their own nic's.
    DISKS- Looks like 240gb SSDs are pretty cheap now, this should meet the hot tier requirement. I have a few 1tb hdd's for cold tier.
    OS/BOOT- Like the hot tier, the drives/USB are pretty cheap. not really an issue.

I had a few vms running in my ESXi lab including plex

2. relapse808

relapse808 [H]ard|Gawd

I have not tried CE. I am currently migrating to Nutanix/Ahv from VMware at work and I don't know why anyone would pick Acropolis over VMware.

3. Shockey

Shockey [H]ard|Gawd

$$$$

4. Outlaw85

Outlaw85 Gawd

^^^ This

At my last job, the licensing of VMware was in the millions. AHVs cost is included with the hardware purchase. I haven't gotten to dig into CE or AHV so I can't comment on pros/cons but the cost alone is what makes a company switch, not the supportability by the engineers.

5. relapse808

relapse808 [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah it was a $ thing. Acropolia has a lot of catching up to do.