• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nubie Case Dilemma

nubie2007

n00b
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
2
Here is a little background on my case. - I started looking for a new computer since my old Compaq (bought in 2000 AD) was really getting old, even after multiple memory upgrades. The search went from Dell to Hard Forum and I finally made up my mind that I will BUILD my first computer! I started with confidence and nearly decided on all components except the case. The more I looked into these threads, the more undecided I became. Finally I have decided to bring it in front of you guys, for your suggestions.

I am looking for a SFF build. I plan to install Ubuntu and Windows and I need this for some graphics applications and rare gaming. My budget is around 800$.

I initially thought the Ultra Microfly was compact enough for my needs. But the Shuttle G5 and Lian Li V350 have emerged as strong competitors. Any help in this area will be much appreciated.

Here is what I have in mind:

Intel Core 2 Due E5550

Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R

Nvidia GE FORCE 8600GT

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS or Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS

Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - BL2KIT12864AA804

Thermaltake TR2 RX W0146RU ATX12V Ver2.2 450W - I thought a 450 Watts Power Supply that is not more than 65$ would do for this build. Please suggest if there are better options.

Also, will I need a cooling fan for this build?

Any comments much appreciated :)
 
You really shouldn't have any problems with any case + that list above. For the record, the Lian Li is bigger than a Microfly, not at all compact like a Shuttle. Here is my Q-pack which is the same size as the Microfly and a Shuttle sized AOpen EZ482, both next to a beer bottle for a frame of reference:

thebox010.jpg

thebox011.jpg
 
Thanks burning8r,

I thought no one would reply to a much hackneyed question. I appreciate your response and your pictures give me a good perspective. Your Qpack seems to be a little more attractive than the shuttle. Do you think I would need a case fan for my build?
 
Check out Thermaltakes lanbox

I was thinking about it until i found a used x-qpack on ebay

Pretty cheaply made case

Wished i went with the lanbox

I like the looks of the Aopen

Does the Aopen support a regular M atx board or is like the shuttles .. factory board only

Lian Li V350 is pretty damn nice looking to
 
First of all ditch that PSU. It's not bad you can do much better with a cheaper but still good quality PSU like this one:
XCLIO Goodpower 500W PSU - $50

Second, unless you watch a ton of HD content, ditch the 8600GT. For that price, an 1950GT is a much better buy since it provides much better gaming performance:
Sapphire 100199L Radeon X1950GT 256MB PCI-E Video Card - $115

However since you are a light gamer, the 7600GT might also be a good choice:
eVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI-E Video Card - $90

As for whether or not you need to buy a case fan depends on which case you choose and if it comes with a decent case fan/s
 
Back
Top