• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Now This Is Retarded

PornFlake

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
270
Q9950 on a EP45-UDL3. Running stock @ 2.83 it fails IBT. I mean, this is stock on a brand new MB. Temps only get to 47 or so when running IBT.

Boot the memtest CD, and it runs without any errors.

WTF is going on?

-Flake
 
memtest86+ doesn't really put that much stress on the RAM, northbridge, etc.

I've had systems pass memtest86+ for hours and hours while a different RAM test that runs in Windows shows errors.

I no longer use memtest86+ due to that simple fact. Wasted too much time trying to figure out why I was getting memory errors in Windows but the RAM passed memtest86+ with flying colors.

the better tester is HCI memtest... available here - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Are you running the latest BIOS? What power supply do you have? What RAM do you have? What voltages are being reported in BIOS?

Do you have the RAM set to the correct voltages and timings per the manufacturer's specifications?
 
i don't know if this is a coincedence but i went through 2 q9550's on an intel x48 and p45
boards with the latest bios 1 worked half assed the other not at all,i settled for a q8300
and some cash back,the q8300 is in the p45 board working greta.
 
IF I can't pin it down I might throw my E6750 in this thing and see what becomes of it.
 
Give these voltages a try:

Vcore -> try around 1.2V for Q9550 @ 2.83ghz
MCH/Northbridge voltage -> try 1.3V
FSB VTT/Termination voltage -> try 1.2V

If these voltages get your system stable, we can start decreasing them one by one.
 
I agree with kniah, increasing MCH will help you since you're running 4 sticks. Set MCH to 1.3v and set your ram to 2.0v for starters until you're stable, then tune lower. You might find it easier to establish a baseline with just 2 sticks of ram first, then adding 2 more sticks and fine tuning for stability.
 
If you want to get it going fast, but safely, start w/ 1.3 Vcore, and all else auto (except for the obvious).
 
I think Slot 2 might be bad.

1 gig in Slot 1, IBT passes fine.

Same stick in slot one and a new stick in slot 2, IBT fails.

Same stick Slot 1 and same stick from slot 2 in slot 3 it passess fine.

Same sticks in Slot 1, Slot 3 and a new stick in Slot 4 and it passes
 
try testing with 2 sticks.

If that passes, try with the other 2.

If that passes, then test to see what settings make it work with all 4. It could require some combination of slackened timings, increased ram voltage, or a slight bump in mch volts (not uncommon with 4 sticks.

EDIT; nevrmind...new info.
 
4 sticks, MCH @ 1.3 and IBT Stress Level Standard = Success with 10 reps. At what Stress Level should I rely on valid data from IBT?

EDIT: IBT: Stress Level High, MCH @ 1.3 and IBT completed 10 reps, no errors.
 
Last edited:
Amazing that at stock cpu frequency, and i assume stock fsb (no ram overclocking), that you need 1.3 Vmch? Yes, I know, 4 sticks need some umph...but,
 
Stock everything, and it brings me to [H]ard|Forums for answers. Amazing group of enthusiasts we have here. :)

You guys/gals are amazing!
 
Amazing that at stock cpu frequency, and i assume stock fsb (no ram overclocking), that you need 1.3 Vmch? Yes, I know, 4 sticks need some umph...but,

1.3 Vmch is not much. default is 1.25.

My system, with 4x2gb, can barely break 333fsb without increasing Vmch.
 
As I've said for years, Memtest86+ is absolutely worthless for real testing.
It can only pick up GLARING errors, and will FREQUENTLY turn up false positives. Period. You cannot electrically test DIMMs properly in a system. All of Memtest86's operations go through the CPU and memory controller, so it will pick up a failing memory controller as "bad memory" when it's not, and it will completely miss a 1-bit error on a DIMM because it gets masked by the memory controller.

4 sticks do not need more volts unless the DIMM VReg is crap; a decent DIMM VReg is required by JEDEC and Intel to run N sticks at JEDEC voltage. Not under, not over; at JEDEC. So if the board can't do that, there's something wrong with the board design.

Anyways, getting back to the point at hand; yes, slot 2 is bad. Probably invisible trace damage on a signal line, if it happens under load but not at idle. You'll have to RMA the board.
 
Amazing that at stock cpu frequency, and i assume stock fsb (no ram overclocking), that you need 1.3 Vmch? Yes, I know, 4 sticks need some umph...but,

The 1.3v MCH was just a safe number higher than stock to get it going. Now you can lower it a notch at a time until you find the min voltage needed.
 
Knew it was GSkill memory before I even hit the link. Go ahead and give it the additional .1V and run the memory at 2.0V. GSkill has a history and by that I mean many many posts like yours, of being much happier when it is run at the high end of the recommended voltage. I do not recommend exceeding the manuf voltage recommendations (no history of an issue with that but you paid for the warranty and it seems silly to void it.)
 
Got it straightened out.

It was 4 sticks at once that was limiting my OC. Ran 500 reps of IBT with 2 sticks @ 3.7 with no issues. I tested it with sticks in Slots 1 and 2 and 1 stick in slot 1 and one stick in slot 3.

435x8.5

Since I am running Win7 x64 I should probably hit up the Egg for 4 new sticks. Any inexpensive ideas? I am leaning this direction:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

-Flake
 
Last edited:
Last night that G.Skill was $5 cheaper

Been keeping an eye on it looking to go 8Gb one of these days
 
Got it straightened out.

It was 4 sticks at once that was limiting my OC. Ran 500 reps of IBT with 2 sticks @ 3.7 with no issues. I tested it with sticks in Slots 1 and 2 and 1 stick in slot 1 and one stick in slot 3.

435x8.5

Since I am running Win7 x64 I should probably hit up the Egg for 4 new sticks. Any inexpensive ideas? I am leaning this direction:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

-Flake

Those are the sticks I am running in the system in my sig.

My sticks of that will run at 1066... mine will actually do somewhere in between 1120 and 1175 at stock timings.... didn't test for specific max since I like to run at 1:1 ratio anyhow.

If you get those, make sure to set the voltages and timings in BIOS...

Correct timings are 5-5-5-15 48.
I have mine set at 2.1v.... spec is 2.0-2.1v.
 
Subscribed for when I get off vacation. I've been having problems w/ BSODs when running x264 on my i7 rig and I do use G.Skill brand DDR3 1066 RAM. I've run memtest for about 48hrs andd came up with nothing.
 
Back
Top