Now that we have the boot to desktop option. Are you using windows 8.1?

Are you using windows 8.1?

• Yes I like it now.

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • No. To heck with it.

Votes: 39 52.0%

• Total voters
why did u mod closed my thread? I am just asking if people now are using windows 8.1 or not? just because 90% say no doesn't mean this is trolling or whatever. (I was just trying to decide if I should go back to win8.1 or not). if people don't like windows 8 (It is Not My fault).

Because you have a habit of spamming useless threads.

If that's what your goal was, then you should not be doing a poll, and your OP should go something along the lines of this:

"I've used 8.1, didn't really like it and went back to (insert whatever you're using now). I'm currently debating whether or not to give 8.1 another try, what do you guys think?"

Accept for how the update rolled out I have been liking 8.1 and I can honestly say I seldom even see the metro ui. My wife hated 8 but now that she has started getting used to where things are located. We have it on our 46 inch tv and it seems damned snappy in just about everything we use it for.

boot to desktop is a major step in the right direction...but a real Start Menu is still needed and not this pseudo Start butoon which only takes you to the Metro interface...one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

very true

I did install 8.1 on one PC and even with start8 is still annoying!

"I've used 8.1, didn't really like it and went back to (insert whatever you're using now). I'm currently debating whether or not to give 8.1 another try, what do you guys think?"
This is not nearly subtly passive-aggressive enough. His threads are notoriously worded to encourage arguments that he is not part of. That cloud one, holy moly.

This is not nearly subtly passive-aggressive enough. His threads are notoriously worded to encourage arguments that he is not part of. That cloud one, holy moly.

That's why I said if that was his real goal, which I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

I will just wait with Win7 for MS employees to start using brains again and create OS with UI thats not totally useless for me.

If Steam OS is good enough for my needs, I will switch to that.

I have been using Windows 8 since dev preview. Without boot to desktop and using Metro without a start menu replacement. I love it. Actually looking at the Dell Venue Pro 8 for a nice small tablet to replace the iPad. 8.1 is better than 8.0, and brings some new things, but I wasn't hiding from 8.0, either.

Microsoft has shown a history of fixing thier OSes and providing a product that almost everyone is happy with (ME->XP and Vista->7). I think they will do the same thing with the next version of Windows. I can hold out until then. Even games designed specifically for DX 11.2 on 8.1 (BF4) are only about 10% ish more FPS. I can deal with a few less FPS if that means having an easier to use OS.

Gave windows 8 and 8.1 a good chance but always gone back to 7. The start screen is a pain in the rear to use on a 30" monitor any way you slice it and things just seem to work better on 7 for me, including my games. My mouse feels weird on 8.1 even with the patch they released and even when on the desktop (logi g600)
I think i will stick with 7 until i find a truly compelling reason to move on.

Bought an Acer Win8 laptop for my grandmother to poke around on Facebook with.
She loves it, but I couldn't stand it.
Just bough a HP Win 8.1 laptop for myself. After using it for a full day, I still didn't like Metro (felt like a total clusterf#ck) and wanting to beat my head against the desk due to password issues with my "MS Account" where I couldn't download apps or updates. But what REALLY frustrated me the most was if I moved my finger left to right across the touchpad too fast, whatever I was working on closed and I got the f#cking clock oe whatever I had open last. I was so frustrated I threw in the towel and installed Ubuntu on it (which took a while because I didn't realize I had to enable legacy boot mode in the BIOS first).
Grant it, my gaming rig is STILL Win7 (which I strongly prefer) and that's not changing, but for surfing, Youtube, email, Netflix and some light Steam gaming (and Iight is definitely not an understatement!) its not all that bad.
I honestly can't see myself doing a full Linux migration until Win7 is a dead OS. Hopefully there is enough push behind Steam OS where Linux gets some love for their drivers. If there isn't, well I guess I'm screwed.

But what REALLY frustrated me the most was if I moved my finger left to right across the touchpad too fast, whatever I was working on closed and I got the f#cking clock oe whatever I had open last. I was so frustrated I threw in the towel and installed Ubuntu on it (which took a while because I didn't realize I had to enable legacy boot mode in the BIOS first).

This can be disabled in the track pad driver. Most Windows track pads don't really handle this gesture well unfortunately. On a good track pad it's pretty nice when using modern apps. But it is one of those things Windows users haven't seen before and even though track pads have had configurable gestures forever l imagine that many Windows users have never touched a track configuration tool.

You should hook your mom up with the Facebook app if she's not tried it already. If she likes Windows 8 it should be right up her alley.

This can be disabled in the track pad driver. Most Windows track pads don't really handle this gesture well unfortunately. On a good track pad it's pretty nice when using modern apps. But it is one of those things Windows users haven't seen before and even though track pads have had configurable gestures forever l imagine that many Windows users have never touched a track configuration tool.

You should hook your mom up with the Facebook app if she's not tried it already. If she likes Windows 8 it should be right up her alley.

I'll make sure I disable that for her and install the FB app for her, thanks.
As far as I'm concerned, I don't think I could ever get used to the 8/8.1 OS, and I've been using pcs since the early 80s.

The apps screen is still really, really terrible. There is a massive amount of awkward horizontal scrolling because of all the shortcuts that are installed for each program. It would probably help if you could hide entries.

The apps screen is still really, really terrible. There is a massive amount of awkward horizontal scrolling because of all the shortcuts that are installed for each program. It would probably help if you could hide entries.

That's something I've been saying since I first started using Windows 8. There needs to be folders on the app screen. Android and iOS have it, why can't Windows?

Do we have a choise for a new machine? If it has to be Windows, then you have a choice of putting an OS on that people like (Windows 7) but that Microsoft will kill off in a few years or you can put on Windows 8/8.1 and have a product that will not be "obsolete" so soon.

I loved XP and was sorely saddened the day it was put to bed.

worm

Windows 8 was released approximately 3 years after 7. Therefore, its lifespan is only going to be 3 years after Windows 7.

While I am using Win 8.1, I can't claim to like it. Coming from a XP machine into 8.1 was a learning curve to itself. I still don't understand why my desktop PC needs to act like my smartphone or tablet PC. The Windows live logon is annoying as well.

Back