Votes: 27 14.3%
  • Haswell has disappointed me

Votes: 91 48.1%
  • On the fence about Haswell

Votes: 51 27.0%
  • Haven't followed it, could care less

Votes: 20 10.6%

• Total voters
im not overly thrilled with it, but im still going to get a 4770. itll be a nice upgrade over my p2 955.
what i really dont like is how hot it runs, and i hope my corsair A70 will be able to keep it cool on the lowest fan settings. right now its cooling my 955 just fine on low, and the cpu rarely breaks 52c.

Other: Since there's quite an IPC difference between IB and HW, wait for HW-E instead of IB-E later this year, also wait to see how de-lidding affects OC performance.

But if you live near a Microcenter, the closeout bargains on the 3770k and motherboards are amazing. So it WAS worth waiting :D

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

$275 for processor + motherboard is an impressive discount! It's $~50 less than Haswell.

That is because Ivy bundle pricing dropped - $5.

That means the spread is about where it was between Sandy (no longer available) and Ivy when Ivy launched - the only difference here is that now Ivy is the cheaper CPU. However, the two LGAs are within shooting difference of each other (as was the case with Sandy and Ivy). If you aren't about tall overclocks, but will have a use for either AVX2 or AES-NI (or both) going forward, then you want Haswell - not Ivy. (Haswell supports both, while Ivy supports neither.) That is why I am on the fence - the spread is actually smaller than I expected.

So it is barely faster than the i5-2500K, but not as overclockable. So net-net it sucks.

So it is barely faster than the i5-2500K, but not as overclockable. So net-net it sucks.
Not quite. It's about 11-12% faster per clock than SB on average, and as much as 20%+++ (AVX2, etc.) in certain cases.

Put another way, you'll need a very cherry 5GHz SB just to match an average (remains to be seen, basing this on ASUS' statement) 4.5GHz HW.

People need to understand, current software just doesn't take advantage much of the new features in this cpu.

I think I heard that excuse a lot when Bulldozer came out. Ahem....:D

Ahem...lol....

Well...

I still know for a fact Haswell is a superior cpu to Bulldozer, no doubt about it. But they need to get a move on the software optimizations or it will end up going into that hall of shame I'm afraid.

I think I heard that excuse a lot when Bulldozer came out. Ahem....:D
The difference being BD required completely rethinking how programs are written from the ground up, while the HW changes require different compiler optimizations.

I think Haswell is more than just the CPU.... Like was said in the [H] review, a lot of the success will depend on the strengths or weaknesses of the vendors. Z87 motherboards cost about the same as their Z77 brethern but come - on average - with more goodies. Better audio, better networking, more SATA3, etc. So while I don't think the CPU itself is a rocketship, I think the platform as a whole is a step forward.

^^^That's pretty much how I feel about it. Updated bells and whistles on the MOBO. And for me, a big upgrade in performance.

Because of no competition in the high end market, Intel has no reason to release a killer CPU, or else they will be competing against themselves.

Personally I never really cared about Haswell, as I knew it wasn't going to be a huge improvement over Ivy Bridge. I just want Intel to release a new chipset for the LGA 2011 platform with native USB 3.0 ports and at least 6 native SATA 3.0 ports or more.

Because of no competition in the high end market, Intel has no reason to release a killer CPU, or else they will be competing against themselves.

Personally I never really cared about Haswell, as I knew it wasn't going to be a huge improvement over Ivy Bridge. I just want Intel to release a new chipset for the LGA 2011 platform with native USB 3.0 ports and at least 6 native SATA 3.0 ports or more.

Wish AMD would step up their game if only for the pressure it would put on Intel.

If you haven't read this two part story over at ARS it is very well written.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/04/the-rise-and-fall-of-amd-how-an-underdog-stuck-it-to-intel/
http://arstechnica.com/business/201...e-top-of-the-mountain-to-the-deepest-valleys/

Perhaps this is the death of the PC market all the 'tech pundits' have been claiming.
But what really drives PC sales? The average office worker can and does make do with a first gen I5/I7. Which is good since most companies have slashed their IT budgets. Business's do have a big effect on the market and which way the tech companies are going.

I am pretty sure we are the minority. Car analogy time.

Grandma wants a new Hyundai(portable) meanwhile we the POWER crowd are wondering what happened to our V12 Lamborghini's.
Most will never be able to afford that V12 but we like to know its there. Sure the interiors have improved a bit(mobo) but where is the horsepower.

Perhaps the new Consoles will help elevate us a bit. I truly think their extremely long lifespans have hampered our overall progress and development of the graphically intense.

Going to stick with my i5 750 for now. Haswell is just not enough upgrade for me yet.
I've gone the other way to this. On an i5 750 but going to a i7 4770K not to mention being able to overclock it at all (never tried with my 750) I should see a worthy jump in performance. I hope.

I was literally on the fence though, and really the only reason I'm going ahead is because I've been looking forward to a new build for a long time. Otherwise I'd probably wait for the next shrink.

They need to do away with that thermal management too. Expected them to reverse what they did on Ivy.

Not quite. It's about 11-12% faster per clock than SB on average, and as much as 20%+++ (AVX2, etc.) in certain cases.

Put another way, you'll need a very cherry 5GHz SB just to match an average (remains to be seen, basing this on ASUS' statement) 4.5GHz HW.

But I do have a 5GHz SB. And I think that all the SB sold 7+ months after launch were highly overclockable. So from that perspective, it sucks, as I do want to upgrade, but won't spend money for a sideways move.

But I do have a 5GHz SB. And I think that all the SB sold 7+ months after launch were highly overclockable. So from that perspective, it sucks, as I do want to upgrade, but won't spend money for a sideways move.
Congratulations, here's your Nobel prize! I really should have gotten into SB - who wouldn't thunkit that if your SB clocked to 4.8 - 5GHz, you could pretty much sit out the next TWO generations :eek:

for my main rig, not really interested in switching, for my HTPC / server it looks great! low power usage, and supports DXVA.

LGA2011 isn't a dead platform. Don't understand why anyone went Ivy or Haswell.

LGA2011 isn't a dead platform. Don't understand why anyone went Ivy or Haswell.
Because I don't want to spend $750+ on a 3930K/X79 combo?
I could almost buy 2x 4770K/Z87 combos with that (mid range boards too - eg Z87-GD65)

All about what you do. If you game at 1920 or 2560 and have a single gpu really no reason to go LGA 2011 over Sandy/Ivy. Likewise, if you do alot of productivity stuff, yes.

It will last you longer.
I can flip it for some scratch in 4-5 years time (not inconceivable - a good i7 920 D0 + mobo will still fetch ~$200) and get the next greatest thing.

Of course, to each his/her own, but I have no need for that many threads / cores. Would rather put the extra scratch towards a second system and get more threads / cores that way :)

As someone still running a Q6600, Haswell is my cue to finally upgrade. I've been running 4.5yrs strong on this box, so I s'pose it's time.

Interestingly, it's my photo editing that has pushed me to want to upgrade. Insofar as gaming is concerned, my system honestly performs just fine. I'm looking forward to Lightroom running a bit snappier :)

Who is voting "Haswell has delivered"???

Delivered what?????

I held them to officially promised performance increases and claims, and getting within spitting distance of rumors.

CLAIM: AVX2 can increase performance on certain software. This is not a lie, but we will have to wait for software to make it reality.

CLAIM: higher cache bandwidth and other tweaks means 5-15% performance improvement on existing code. TRUE.

CLAIM: GT3e will offer 2.5-3x performance improvement over HD 4000. TRUE.

CLAIM: Haswell will increase battery life on notebooks by 50%. From the one review I've seen, it's so-far true.

RUMOR: GT3e can hang with the GTX 650m. This is not true for most games, but there are a handful of places where it gets surprisingly close, so I give them this one.

RUMOR: you can overclock with the BCLK. Absolutely true.

EDIT: EVEN MORE POTENTIAL: The GT3e's eDRAM is a coherent L4 cache. This has the potential for massive speedups in servers and HPC, which is probably why Intel is not releasing any socketed GT3e parts on the desktop.

Never once did Intel commit to raising overclocking limits, or removing the horrible IHS. And people knew ahead of time that the on-board VRs would likely cause problems with overclocks and power.

Last edited:
Back