Nothing PC at Gamestop ...

This, I gave up on Gamestop as a source for PC games and accessories years ago.
Pretty sure the PC market has always been the minority compared to the aggregate console market.

it's all about price...I bought the physical copy of Doom (2016) through Amazon because it was $15.99 (or something like that) a few months after release

I bought Destiny 2 for $26 on Amazon the other day. Why was it $26? Because it seems that the physical box pricing can be whatever the retailer wants to set it to and the digital pricing seems to be suggested or set by the publisher. I've seen physical copies on sale for 50% off or more 6 months before the digital copy gets that discount. And you get the same code to activate on Steam, UPLAY, Battlenet, Origin, etc. Just have to wait 2 days for the thing to arrive.

I bought Destiny 2 for $26 on Amazon the other day. Why was it $26? Because it seems that the physical box pricing can be whatever the retailer wants to set it to and the digital pricing seems to be suggested or set by the publisher. I've seen physical copies on sale for 50% off or more 6 months before the digital copy gets that discount. And you get the same code to activate on Steam, UPLAY, Battlenet, Origin, etc. Just have to wait 2 days for the thing to arrive.
I admit, the pricing is unclear sometimes. It probably is because of a number of things like physical inventory needing to get out the door. Shelf space costs money.

Last game I picked up at Gamestop was Diablo III: RoS.

(and only because at the time it was half-price compared to Bnet)

I don't miss going to the game store to buy games.

Look through the rack for like 20 minutes for anything worth buying...

Narrow it down to 3 items, each individually in your budget, but you can't afford more than just 1.

Debate over it for a while. Ask the dude behind the counter for advice, and be told to buy the most expensive one.

Narrow it down to two.

Debate over it for another 10 minutes.

Put both back and get the third.

Wait in line for 45 minutes to check out because there are 30 people in line, and only one checkout attendant working, even though they have 5 employees and 4 sales terminals.

Get home, and find that an employee has opened the game, played it, or as they would say, 'demoed it', and forgot the CD key when it got put back on the shelf.

Go back to the store, and wait another 55 minutes to talk to a manager about getting a CD key...

There, you've wasted 4+ hours of your life.

Buy it off steam. CD key is usually a non issue. You get reviews, documentation, Q&A, etc., right there. No pushy sales slob to deal with, and the game downloads and installs in less time than it would take just to drive to the store.

Exaggeration is an understatement here...literally.

Nowadays, maybe a bit (at least as far as the lines go)...though I can say that back in the days before Steam/widespread internet this was a pretty common situation, in my experience.

Nowadays, maybe a bit (at least as far as the lines go)...though I can say that back in the days before Steam/widespread internet this was a pretty common situation, in my experience.

Oh yeah for sure. Back in the day it was madness.

I actually typed up an exact experience I had there. It was during the PS2 days, though, hah.

For PS2 games, I did rely on gamestop quite a bit. I even got my PS2 slim before the pre-order people got theirs, because I was in the store with cash in hand, and I knew the manager.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I also live out in the county, not in a town, so it's a fairly long drive to get to the mall, and back home...

Last game I picked up at Gamestop was Diablo III: RoS.

(and only because at the time it was half-price compared to Bnet)

haha me too!

i think they had a $5 coupon and i had $5 of their gamestop money somehow.

I actually went to GameStop again yesterday to pick up a DS4 charging dock that Amazon was OOS on and was the same price. God help me...

It does annoy me that they pester you about pre-orders and their rewards program (which is NOT free) every time you go in.

My local Gamestop has a few big name titles like WOW and Diablo, but not much else. It's one tiny shelf on an island that features Funko figurines and whatnot, so it's easy to miss. They don't have any accessories like keyboards or mice...at least beyond the ones that are designed for the consoles.
Best Buy has a bunch of hardware, but not much software either. Microcenter probably has the largest selection of packaged PC games in CO and they still fit on a single shelf.

Can't say I blame any of them, though. I haven't bought a physical PC game since I grabbed the first Witcher at the CompUSA closeout sale. Prior to that I was only buying a couple disks per year. Steam changed everything...and for that matter so did the Xbox 360. There was a period where I didn't automatically buy games for the PC because the ports were clumsy. These days they're more polished than the console versions in many cases.

My brother and I went to a firehouse subs thats right next door to a gamestop about a week ago. He went in to order but I was stopped, I had to stare in the window of the gamestop. There I was figuratively and literally on the outside looking in. I didn't even recognize it. It looked like a booth at a flea market. Filled with console faggotry, dolls, and toys. I've never felt that sad and vindicated at the same time before.

yup.

well the gamestops i been to lately, sell razer keyboards etc..

but yeah i miss the days of having boxes, floppies (or cdroms) and really thick manuals) . the flight or racing sims had booklets that covered basics of driving lines/flight etc .

I still step into a gamestop every now and than. recently bought a nintendo switch. THey stay in business because they opened up to selling collectibles, game tshirts, Pop figures etc. I think its pretty cool. Even though i sort of hate their trade in/used offering prices.

I prefer digtal copy for PC games now, but I still prefer physical games for console (its nice to have a shelf of games).. im not someone who trades games in, so i just hold em.

If you are an exclusive PC gamer, there’s no reason to ever step in a Game Stop. I see posts here saying “hopefully they go out of business”, when in reality they did for pc gamers.

For console gamers or people like me who like consoles and PCs, it’s still a great store. Sure theres ordering games online, but 9/10 times, the games are the same price both in store and online so why wait 3-7 days for a game when I can just buy a game and be playing it in a matter of minutes? Not to mention it’s nice to just browse a store. I like seeing the boxes and just browsing around the same way I did when I had an NES and would look at games at Funcoland. Pc game makers don’t even make physical media anymore so is GameStop even to blame for that?

If you are an exclusive PC gamer, there’s no reason to ever step in a Game Stop. I see posts here saying “hopefully they go out of business”, when in reality they did for pc gamers.

For console gamers or people like me who like consoles and PCs, it’s still a great store. Sure theres ordering games online, but 9/10 times, the games are the same price both in store and online so why wait 3-7 days for a game when I can just buy a game and be playing it in a matter of minutes? Not to mention it’s nice to just browse a store. I like seeing the boxes and just browsing around the same way I did when I had an NES and would look at games at Funcoland. Pc game makers don’t even make physical media anymore so is GameStop even to blame for that?
You can get games release day with a 20% with prime for most new games I believe. $48 shipped is good even if it comes a day or two late.

Back