Norwegian Retailer Pulls Violent Games in Wake of Attack

You want to bet? The one who play these type of games are more dangerous and cunning if they do live it out and go on a massacre killing than a person who never laid eyes on these type of games. Maybe you haven't met any fuck up teenagers yet. I'm pretty sure there are some that are spawn from these type of games. I'm pretty sure guys in the military hate these type of shoot them up games. [sarcasm]

No, the more dangerous ones are those who spend time educating themselves on subjects like building bombs, and developing plans to attack an isolated group of people who have no support available from law enforcement.

Playing CoD or WoW had no effect on his ability to carry out the attacks. Continuing to pretend that video games and violence on TV are the issues when tragic events like this happen is a barrier to prevention, which is why I find it so offensive.

Sheesh, I never get the knee jerk reactions to this stuff. I guess next they'll start burning books, blackout TV and movies and of course then they'll have to get rid of the newspapers too ...

What happend in Norway is a tragedy, but seriously, way to over react there guys.

This reminds me of when they 9/11 attacks happened, all TV episodes that depicted burning buildings were pulled off for a while, and some episodes that involved the WTC or even just New York were pulled. This isn't really any different, and it's likely to be very temporary. It's all about being sensitive, and not about censorship.

Ok, the games have been pulled, so there will never be any more shootings.

Problem solved!

Well, only for a couple of months. Later COD and WoW will be selling again, and someone dressed up as a Taruen Hunter will go on a hunting spree. Let's just hope he/she has a lot of health and good gear/weapons.

This is a knee-jerk reaction, and based off emotions. There are also certain types of politicians who dance around in a bloodbath, since they can now gain some popularity by feeding off these emotions.

We had a similar thing in 1998, after the Columbine High School murders. Everyone was pointing the finger of blame at the usual convenient targets, such as video games (they were attacking DOOM, of all things...), violent movies, and legally owned firearms (which the boys did not legally own).

There was even another gun-grabbing bill that had passed both chambers of congress, that fortunately died in the between-chambers negotiations.

Eventually, the hype will die down.

For a nut job his manifesto (or whatever you wanna call it) is extremely well written.

It was very well-written, indeed.

Do people actually try to READ before they make STUPID COMMENTS? Read the fucking thing! It's not like the GOVERNMENT IS BANNING this. These games are being pull by the retailer Coop Norway on their own free will for the time being. At least they are being wisely sensitive instead of insensitive about this tragedy.

Should take your own advice here, as all of your posts have equally appalling stupidity behind them.

Your justifications for the actions of this retailer to pull games is mind bogglingly false.

NOT banning these games from their shelves is being insensitive? How about banning these games is INCREDIBLY counter productive to rational logical thought and advancement of society.

Until society stops playing the blame game on the social scapegoats and taboos of the world, people like you will continue to thrive on the media's bullshit.

No more newspaper reports, no media, ban that shit too.
Burn all books with the least bit of violence while your at it.

Violent games are gone in Norway now there will be no futher shootings, crazies, or fear about that guy in cubicle 41 who looks waaaaay too happy. Move along sheeple there are no wolves here.

Its an emotional and irrational move from Coop. It´s meant to send a signal, and that´s all the value Coop need here. It´s a "nice" sentiment, and calculated too, as I am sure it struck someone at Coop as a great way to gain some misunderstood sympathy. In reality completely unnecessary and pointless.

Coop is just pandering to the reactionary "family friendly" crowd. They'll just lose some sales from gamers, but will "appear" to be sensitive, which will bring in more of the hysterical crowd.

It's business, not a big deal.

And right now their competitors are laughing all the way to the bank because they still offer those products. FAIL!

Should take your own advice here, as all of your posts have equally appalling stupidity behind them.

Your justifications for the actions of this retailer to pull games is mind bogglingly false.

NOT banning these games from their shelves is being insensitive? How about banning these games is INCREDIBLY counter productive to rational logical thought and advancement of society.

Until society stops playing the blame game on the social scapegoats and taboos of the world, people like you will continue to thrive on the media's bullshit.

You should take your own stupid advice and stop posting. Oh no, pulling these games from the shelves for the time being will stop the advancement of society.

You want to bet? The one who play these type of games are more dangerous and cunning if they do live it out and go on a massacre killing than a person who never laid eyes on these type of games. Maybe you haven't met any fuck up teenagers yet. I'm pretty sure there are some that are spawn from these type of games. I'm pretty sure guys in the military hate these type of shoot them up games. [sarcasm]

You do know that violent crime rates are no way linked to violent games? Infact since doom and other FPS have been released the rate of violent crime has fallen almost every single year. As a young young young child I spend hours playing doom/mortal kombat a leaked version of thrill kill, loaded, quake etc etc etc. and I still do. I have never attacked anyone violently because the two things are unrelated. Pretending that they are is just silly.
I don't think the millitary hate FPS...otherwise they wouldn't release their own...

Its an emotional and irrational move from Coop. It´s meant to send a signal, and that´s all the value Coop need here. It´s a "nice" sentiment, and calculated too, as I am sure it struck someone at Coop as a great way to gain some misunderstood sympathy. In reality completely unnecessary and pointless.

I'm conflicted whether or not to have sympathy for the weak minded people that fall for shit like this.

Coop Norway, one of the largest retailers in Norway is pulling 51 games and toys from its shelves. The merchandise was deemed violent and pulled due to the recent tragedy that killed 77 people. When and if the games will ever be returned to the shelves has not been determined.

Yeah cause WoW, and COD4 explain in great detail how to construct incendiary bombs, field stripping and weapon maintenance, not to mention where to buy guns from, and how to get fake police uniforms.

Maybe taking guns off the shelves would be a wiser option?

We, mankind, needs to stop the violence as a whole. We all need to make the change in our heart.

What would we have if all the money that goes into war and weapons went to help us as a whole? What would we have?

Does anyone think this way? I never see any posts anywhere.

We, mankind, needs to stop the violence as a whole. We all need to make the change in our heart.

What would we have if all the money that goes into war and weapons went to help us as a whole? What would we have?

What if people were friggin' CENTAURS, man?!

Anyway, you actually believe 7billion people can just wake up one day emotionless and transcendant?

Man, I pretty much slayed this thread like a lyrical assassin.

Speak of mutually assured destruction?

Nice story! Tell it to Reader's Digest!

Yeah cause WoW, and COD4 explain in great detail how to construct incendiary bombs, field stripping and weapon maintenance, not to mention where to buy guns from, and how to get fake police uniforms.

Maybe taking guns off the shelves would be a wiser option?

If someone came to my house to try to take my guns away I would just shoot him/her.

If someone came to my house to try to take my guns away I would just shoot him/her.

While i agree with the sentiment, i have to say that this simply isnt how a responsible gun owner should behave in such a circumstance. Shooting people because they want to take your guns away does not seem like an intelligent solution to the problem in a world where people are already afraid of folks who either own, or know how to operate a firearm. Not to mention it would probably destroy your life, and the life of the person that was shot, and only bring further bad press on gun owners as a whole and spur some campaign about how all gun owners are dangerous and why they should ban firearms and about how they can cause no good.

We need to make the distinction here between what makes a useful tool into a weapon. And i believe that is entirely based upon intent and mindset of the user. There are millions of people who use their cars every day for transportation, and there are a few people who use their cars to try and run people over when they get mad. Does this mean we should remove all cars from the road because some people used them in unacceptable ways? No of course not. The same thing should apply to knives, power tools, guns, vehicles, knowledge, and simply anything that has the potential to be abused.

But with that said, the more people who act irresponsibly with their guns/cars/tools/knowledge the more chance there is of further restrictions being placed on the rest of us who abide by the laws. Restrictions which simply do not have any stopping impact on people who would break those laws in the first place. People of malintent will always find a way to abuse any system that is in place for control, and the only people who will be controlled are the people who allow themselves to be.

While i agree with the sentiment, i have to say that this simply isnt how a responsible gun owner should behave in such a circumstance.

Uh...well let's see. Someone coming to my house trying to take my guns would be breaking and entering and they are attempting to rob me. Felonies in which I would be justified to use deadly force. Shooting someone who has broken into my house and trying to rob me is not irresponsible.

Not to mention it would probably destroy your life, and the life of the person that was shot,

It would certainly make my life tough in the way of legal woes and lawyer fees. As for the life of the person breaking into my house...irrelevant. Any person that threatens someone else with grave bodily injury or injury likely to cause death, in my opinion, forfeits his own life to his intended victim. That crook destroyed his own life.

Bla bla bla

Some people here need to STFU. Seriously. Good for them to pull the game for the time being since it's so close to the terrible incident. Some people don't even know that Norway is only 5mil in population.

Such violent languages. Careful or you'll be banned from Norway too.

OT: Breivik 1, Norway 0

Way to overreact and use video games as scapegoat when the real motive was religion, and the cause being one very specific person's mind.

Such violent languages. Careful or you'll be banned from Norway too.

OT: Breivik 1, Norway 0

Way to overreact and use video games as scapegoat when the real motive was religion, and the cause being one very specific person's mind.

It was just a retailer, not the country.

Azhar 0, Bacon 5000

It was just a retailer, not the country.

Azhar 0, Bacon 5000

I meant Norway as people, not government. A store's knee jerk reaction will appeal to the sensitive families and Bible thumpers.

I stand by what I said, Breivik 1, Norway 0.

Oh and yeah you can't beat bacon. Definitely a 5000 for bacon.

I meant Norway as people, not government. A store's knee jerk reaction will appeal to the sensitive families and Bible thumpers.

Luckily, a lot of Norwegians are handling it properly. Obviously outraged over this sick shit's actions, but not going full on reactionary. Aside from groups like this company, of course.

I say good luck, Norway.

I'm not sure "sensitive families" is the term I would use. Just because you're the victim of something doesn't mean you should get all irrational and illogical. What good will pulling the games off the shelves do when they will just go back up after the next political scandal/celebrity sex tape hits the air waves? None whatsoever.

I had a cousin shot to death in a bar. It sucks. But I kept my head on straight unlike some people.

For instance, James and Sarah Brady. James got caught up in Regan's assassination attempt. Shot in the head and now he's stuck in a wheelchair. Now look at them. Going on their anti gun campaign like guns are the problem.

I hate to bring up gun arguments but it's just a topic that's extremely important to me and for me to express my point I usually have to use a gun or Second Amendment analogy. :)

I'm not sure "sensitive families" is the term I would use. Just because you're the victim of something doesn't mean you should get all irrational and illogical. What good will pulling the games off the shelves do when they will just go back up after the next political scandal/celebrity sex tape hits the air waves? None whatsoever.

I had a cousin shot to death in a bar. It sucks. But I kept my head on straight unlike some people.

For instance, James and Sarah Brady. James got caught up in Regan's assassination attempt. Shot in the head and now he's stuck in a wheelchair. Now look at them. Going on their anti gun campaign like guns are the problem.

I hate to bring up gun arguments but it's just a topic that's extremely important to me and for me to express my point I usually have to use a gun or Second Amendment analogy. :)

Blah blah blah. Let see you get shot in the head and permanently in a wheel chair and see how you talk the tough talk.

They aren't blaming video games because they truly think they are responsible they are blaming them because it's easy.

Violence in games and films do have some influence, but it all comes down to parenting in the end of what is right and what is wrong.

DONT FEED THE TROLL

Though I do want to point soemthing out here... yes, you can argue that CoD *might* in some obscure way have some relation to this...

But unless the guy was swinging around a sword, staff, axe, or trying to cast Lightning Bolt, I dont really see how you can hold World of Warcraft responcible... Yes there are guns in the game - ancient flint-lock muskets, and most classes cant use them... thus, imo as stated, the ONLY reason this was banned was to try to appeal to the masses "oh we're helping prevent this problem!"

Back