Norton IS 2009 reported to be much improved.

ESET

fuck norton, so bloated

Agreed. They had some good products in the past most of which were purchased from other companies. Then they bloated the shit out of those applications and made them turds. No thanks.

+2 to NOD32. Haven't used Norton for about 10 years. From my personal experience, it slowed my computer more then McAfee. I prefer NOD32. Doesn't bog down your system and is very affordable.

PC Magazine is worthless and has been for a long time in my opinion. Nothing but a bunch of geeks who pretend to know a lot, but really don't.

PC Magazine is worthless and has been for a long time in my opinion. Nothing but a bunch of geeks who think they know a lot, but really don't.

Good how much I hate Dvorak, self-righteous bastard. And all the other idiots how test out bullshit over at their offices.

+3 for NOD32.

From what I understand, the CEO of Symantec got so tired of the negative comments with their software being bloated etc, he said they were going to re-write their software from the ground up in an attempt to remove the 'bloat'. Either way, I'm never going back to Norton.

Just to be clear - I own, use, and recommed ESET. I'm just intrigued to see if Norton may have done a complete 360. I've been impressed with their corporate stuff of days past so it's possible... Their previous consumer stuff I would actually state typically did more harm then any possible good.

Just to be clear - I own, use, and recommed ESET. I'm just intrigued to see if Norton may have done a complete 360. I've been impressed with their corporate stuff of days past so it's possible... Their previous consumer stuff I would actually state typically did more harm then any possible good.

Complete 180. If they did a 360 they'd turn all the way around and end up right where they started before making the turn.

if they cut it down it could be worth looking at. Many years ago their corp stuff was very good

i come across a lot of boxes these days with Norton 360.... so far every single person who has that complains from slowness on thier box...

even a guy who had just got a quad core 4 gig vista64 system....

also every one of them is suprised when i tell them norton 360 is a resource hog and although (on some of the bigger systems) may not be CAUSING the slowness, it is certainly aggravating it...

eset reseller here too... if 3.0 is slim, 2.7 is anorexic.... norton 360 is the guy that they have to use a crane to lift him off his toilet cuz he's been there for 14 years

+1337 nod32/smart suite

Norton has gotten a LOT better every year for the past 3 years. It's still no where close to Eset though. Kaspersky is still a direct comaprison to NIS in effectiveness and GUI layout but is less of a hog.

Complete 180. If they did a 360 they'd turn all the way around and end up right where they started before making the turn.

Could be a spiral pole taking them to another level :D

Yeah last year, and even moreso this year, it's had praise at the very picky and anal Wilders Security Forums. Their detection has actually done well lately too.

That said, I'd still have to format my computer if it got even near it. Too many long hours spent troubleshooting their software, and dealing with corrupted installs from their Corp Edition management console push installs.

You guys should definitely give it a try sometime I think you will be shocked to say the least.

When AV-Comparatives has at least three (3) consecutive tests where Norton beats NOD32 AND Avira AntiVir, AND Norton makes theirs free (MIR would be fine, but NOT upgrader's rebate) AND Norton stops eating 400MB+ of RAM and slowing things down (yes, it did here at work for some users - well, Symantec Corp. did, anyway, including the 400MB RAM thing), THEN I might switch from Avira.

I would say this is only good for those people/companies that refuse to go to another company. Make sure they upgrade.

My office runs, Norton Antivirus 2008 (I know I am trying to convince my boss and supervisor to switch to ESET.) Anyways we started getting our upgrade notices to 2009 yesterday. I have to say they made the footprint smaller and install takes like 10mins compared to 2008 with was 30 mins to an hour depending on the speed of the machine. Although wish they would give me an MSI so I can deploy the upgrade from the server. Hopefully next year I will get budgeted for a complete IT overhaul and make the switch to ESET. But for now I am almost satisfied with 2009

Oh ya I like the look of 2008, 2009 is ugly...

We started using 2009 last week at work and I must say I am surprised. Its faster and less resource hungry then 2008 version, and that was much improved.

I am sticking with my free Avira at home though :)

I'm still using Avira, and I still recommend Avast to clients, but Norton 09 is a whole different beast than the old versions. It's actually my third choice in AVs, and really guys, ESET has crapped the bed the past year or so. I'd take Norton 09 over Nod32 3.0 any day of the week (god it feels dirty saying that).

Ah ha ha ha, thats a good one. You couldn't pay me to install that shit. I saw brand new high end systems literally destroyed from having Norton System Suite installed at my old job.

Ah ha ha ha, thats a good one. You couldn't pay me to install that shit. I saw brand new high end systems literally destroyed from having Norton System Suite installed at my old job.

pretty dumb to say things like that IMO, you know how fast things can change in the tech world...

pretty dumb to say things like that IMO, you know how fast things can change in the tech world...
While true, there are some things that never change.

No one will be more shocked than I if Norton turns out to be decent in it's next version.

While true, there are some things that never change.

No one will be more shocked than I if Norton turns out to be decent in it's next version.

The corporate versions have always been tolerable. The server part is generally ok but the clients sometimes get screwed up and the software can lead to problems that really can hose the machine. What would surprise me is if the new consumer version actually didn't totally lick hairy scrotum sacks that are rotting and festering due to infection that normally, only a maggot could love.

(As you can tell, I'm not a fan of Norton anything.)

Dan, prepare to be surprised then. I hate praising Norton, trust me, but the suite is light, the testing has gone real well, and it's stable. Hell, most comparatives have put it ahead of Kaspersky AND Nod32, but still behind Avira. Right around where Avast scores, actually.

Granted, 07 and 08 are still horrible, so we can always mock Norton for that. And frankly, we KNOW they'll screw themselves eventually and go back to their old ways.

The corporate versions have always been tolerable. The server part is generally ok but the clients sometimes get screwed up and the software can lead to problems that really can hose the machine.

QFT. Ugh ...the hours lost on doing manual cleanups of corrupted client installs/upgrades.

The corporate versions have always been tolerable.

DEFINITELY not true. We ran SAV 9 and 10 here at work before switching to NOD32. The thing slowed boot times down majorly (30 seconds or so) on several of our boxes, took forever to scan, would just sit there taking hundreds of MB of RAM....

I'm liking Norton IS 2009 so far, they made their own custom installer in this version and it installed completely with no reboots necessary, up and running in roughly 1 minute. Uses less memory also, it's the quickest I have ever seen a Norton product load on bootup, it's barely noticeable even on my laptop. I will talk more about it, but I got to get going to work.

Say it isn't so! Has Symantec stopped drinking their own Kool-Aid? Have they learned a lesson from End-point Protection 11.0 and realized their software for the last few years has completely sucked ass???

Back