• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Norton ghost or similar?

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
1,419
in teh past...i used to use Norton Ghost (the old version), setup my system top notch, then just restore back my backup ghost when my system gets fucked, but now i tried that with the new ghost 10.0, it told me I needed floppy disks bla bla bla since it can't perform teh operation in teh windows. so which program would you recommend for doing this task more simply. I dont even have a damn flopph dr!ve
 
Acronis True Image. Very good software, and compatible with a broad range of systems and hard drives.
 
LoStMaTt said:
Acronis True Image. Very good software, and compatible with a broad range of systems and hard drives.
Where can I get it? is it free?
 
Acronis is good, I bought it maybe a month ago after a nasty format. I got an image of my windows partition after all the updates, driver installs, and my main programs installed. I haven't had to use it yet, so don't know how painless the backup will be. But from what I gather, I just click a button, locate my hdd image, and boom-bada-bing I'm on it in a few minutes. It makes me peaceful knowing I never will have to go through the torture known as a re-format again.
 
I love true image. It creates my weekly image (about 50 gigs compressed) in under an hour with no restarts and no bs. I have faith in the images too, because I restored from one when I first got the software to make sure that it was trustworthy.
 
Hmm.. I was just looking at the True Image Home a moment ago and seems something I might have some use for, as I hate formatting/reinstalling when I fool around with stuff :)

Anyways, it mentions "Use the image to restore your PC to a known working state without any reinstallation."

Does this mean I won't be able to restore if I blew my windows away.. like reformatted or something? And how are the backup's stored? A seperate partition, or does it prefer like a network server..?
 
Whenever I made my backup image, it just let me store the image anywhere I wanted. I chose a different HDD/Partition incase I couldn't even boot and had to reformat. From what I've gathered, you can just restore to a previous state from the image like that. But, if you have to reformat, you have to install Windows and Acronis, then you can restore to you're image.
 
Make a recovery/backup CD-Rom first thing. It contains the entire program on a bootable disk. You can now recover onto a brand new hard drive with your disk images located somewhere else, including a usb drive. I keep my monthly backups on a 300gig USB drive I have. They are about 50gigs each.
 
Acronis is very worth it IMO. I have one image with just base drivers and OS tweaks employed, and another one of my current working updated with programs image
 
Back
Top