normal e5200 temp while folding?

AgrFan

[H]ard DCOTM x2
I recently added another dual-core machine to the farm ...

E5200 (stock)
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800

I'm seeing CPU temps of 38-40C at idle and 50-52C while folding with WCG and FAH.
I have to run the case fan at full speed to keep the CPU temp from going any higher.

Is this normal?

I mounted the Intel heatsink without any Arctic Silver ... I thought the pre-applied paste would do the job.

Not sure if that could be the problem ... or if I have a problem at all.

Your fine.

Heck I don't get worried unless I'm over 65C

You still have room to OC if your at that temp.

Bump the Vcore and up the FSB ;)

Edit: when you smell smoke, stop :p

There is no problem. In fact, you could safely run that CPU at significantly higher temperatures. I would be comfortable with anything less than 70-80C for that chip.

cough cough.. get a better heatsink.. cough cough...

and if you do have a good heatsink.. then remount it..

cough cough.. get a better heatsink.. cough cough...

and if you do have a good heatsink.. then remount it..
Why? His temps are perfectly fine. Purchasing a new heatsink would be a waste since it is completely unnecessary.

only reason im saying that is for stock speeds on an e5200.. unless its the stock heatsink seem a tad bit high for 45nm.. but still well within the norm.. but you would figure with the much lower voltage used compared to say the e8400 the temps should be much lower.. but since ive never really looked up the specs on the e5200.. i really dont know how much of a difference there is voltage wise between the two..

A bit high for stock speed indeed. Mine is overclocked to 3.4 GHz and the temp is hovering not above 45C top... It's granted that box is watercooled :p

only reason im saying that is for stock speeds on an e5200.. unless its the stock heatsink seem a tad bit high for 45nm..
He is using the stock heatsink. His temps are not abnormal at all. I understand your concern, but the fact is that there is absolutely no chance of harming the CPU with heat, and to even approach levels that would be considered high, the CPU would need to be running at a much hotter temperature.

I'm using the stock heatsink with the pre-applied paste only.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s running a E2160 showing temps of 33C while folding.

I thought it a bit strange to have that much difference ... which is why I'm asking the question.

The case is a Antec SLB1650B with one 120mm exhaust fan.
I'm going to try adding a intake fan to see if that helps.

The whole thing sounds like a jet engine already ... the Dell is perfectly silent.

I recently added another dual-core machine to the farm ...

E5200 (stock)
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800

I'm seeing CPU temps of 38-40C at idle and 50-52C while folding with WCG and FAH.
I have to run the case fan at full speed to keep the CPU temp from going any higher.

Is this normal?

I have the same processor, and same motherboard, also using the stock heat sink, but with 4 GB ram.

I was running the FAH client, the 6.23 client (not the SMP) and for some reason, it had both cores at 100%. The temperature as read by the PC Health Monitor int he EasyTune Pro 5 software that came with the motherboard read 34-35C. Using the easy overclock function at 20% to a speed of 3.0 Gigahertz, the temperature was read at 38C.

However, right now, I am in a cool room with a roomy case. The case is running two fans, 120mm in the rear, and a 140mm at the top, where the motherboard is located so that fan is located near the CPU (bottom mounted power unit). I also have two opening in the front of the case to install 2 120mm fans, and there is a case side vent to install another 120mm fan. I believe my case is well, well ventilated. Each of the two fans have a three-speed selector switch, and both of them are on lowest speed.

I would take off the case sides and see if a change in the temp occurs. But as others have said, it is well within the operating range. I would imagine my temps would be higher if I had no front or side vents, and did not have another 140mm fan on top. I also just built the computer, and its on top of a table almost in the middle of a room, so its not only getting good ventilation through the case, its getting good circulation from the room and not being placed in a hotter part of a room where many computers go, where lots of equipment are ejecting hot air into. For instance, I would never put a computer case beside an Xbox and run them together.

I am using an Antec Three Hundred case. Its $63. You obviously are concerned about heat issues, as everyone should be. So I would just buy that case, its just $63 and free shipping from Amazon. I am glad I got this case. It is awesome. The front panel wires are long enough for everything on your motherboard. No eSATA though on the front panel though. And on the lowest speed, the fans are very quiet.

Also remember, if the ambient temperature of my room was 5 degrees higher, so would my CPU temps (roughly, not exactly of course).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I learned just now I have been wrong.

I learned the Gigabyte BIOS is wrong. It is reading the northbridge temperature as the CPU temperature. I just downloaded Speedfan and it gives Temp3 as low, and Core0 and Core1 as the core temps for the CPU. Someone explained this to me in another forum. And I verified this while running two window tray clients of F@H. By setting their affinities, I can see the Core temps in Speedfan change as I manually changed the affinities in the task manager. And switch to the other core when I switched them again - all the while the Temp 3 (CPU temp) kept the same temperature..

My cores are running 49C, under full load in each core.

I posted that message under the assumption that the Gigabyte BIOS was good for this motherboard

which is why you never trust 1 program to tell you everything... also use real temp its one of the best temp programs for intel processors..

If you want to drop the temps a bit without spending much money, see if you can find someone that has the stock heatsink from a quad laying around they don't need and slap that thing on there. It should do a much better job cooling for little to no money invested.

I did something similar for a friend. He bought my E6400 off me last year when I upgraded that system to a Q6600 with an aftermarket heatsink and I gave him the heatsink that came with the Q6600 since it was a bit better than the heatsink which came with the E6400.

In the case of the E5200, a Q6600 heatsink should be a huge difference if you decide to overclock. At full load stock speeds, it should also drop the temp down as well. You will need new thermal goop when you install a different heatsink. I personally recommend Arctic Cooling MX-2. It seems to work just as well or better than Arctic Silver 5 and should be a bit cheaper as well.

Back