Nook tablet anyone?

darkhunter139

Supreme [H]ardness
Just tried one out at bnn i was very impressed with the speed compared to my nook color. Anyone have one of these yet? If so what do you think? I am going to wait for update 1.4 in my nook color before i decide if i want it or not.

Looks OK, but there are so many other tablets out there at near the same price point. 10" tablets are not much more right now.

Besides the nook tablet having a dual core cpu whats the real difference between that and the nook color?

I have my nook color running CM7 and the processor oc'd to 1400mhz up from 800mhz and is plenty fast with everything I use it for.

I'd say keep your nook color and look into custom roms/os and overclocking the processor and it should be able to do everything the nook tablet can do.

Wouldn't get any tablet below 10". I've had way to many smaller and it's so hard to be productive.

10" tablets are da bomb :D

why mess with anything smaller, unless you just enjoy destroying your eyesight of course..........

I wouldnt use tab below 10", hard to read especially with my extra sensitive eyes :D I would rather use smartphone for below 10"

The primary thing that I LOVE about 7" tabs over the 10-inchers is how easy they are to hold with one hand.

They're also the perfect size for reading manga :)

The primary thing that I LOVE about 7" tabs over the 10-inchers is how easy they are to hold with one hand.

They're also the perfect size for reading manga :)

My hands are WAY too big for any tablet under 10 inches. I've owned many of them and I always got hand cramps until I got my Flytouch and then my Slate.

Love my nook color running cm7, the nook tablet doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant an upgrade. same screen, and mine is running faster than 1ghz anyway.

if you intent on something new I'd say wait to see what Ice Cream Sandwich tablets come out

I have a nook color but I too find it too small. I have an Acer Iconia 500 and I find it too heavy (I will gift it to my brother). The ipad 2 I'd perfect. Have a transformer prime on order.

If you like 7-inchers, the nook tab ought to be fine. Not everyone likes the same thing.

+1, great for reading, plus I can slide my Galaxy Tab into a back pocket to carry it.

My Nook Tablet was delivered two days earlier than expected. :)

I'll post pics later today.

My new Nook Tablet :)

IMG_20111214_123847.jpg

I'm still learning how to use it and plan to root it soon.

I loved my Nook color - sold it on ebay to pay for a phone upgrade for my wife for Christmas.

I would have kept it with my new tablet (Toshiba Thrive 10.1") but needed the cash. Great little tab with CM7 on it.

A 7" is a lot more convenient - you can drop it in a cargo pants pocket or a coat pocket with no problem. There's something to be said for that size/form factor.

Mine is due in today... looking at rooting it pronto and if anyone else is going to, I would do it first before enabling the wifi as the OTA update breaks root and other things. :mad:

I love the Nook color - I can carry around a 7" at work all day with no problems... I find it easier to type on a 7 incher as well.

CM7 is awesome for the nook.

I'll also throw another suggestion - the HTC evo View 7" tablet. It hits all my high points - two cameras (720p video), gps, wifi, 4g (not needed if you don't want it), and a new HC update to boot. The thing rocks! The price is comparable to the Nook tablet as well - they were on some daily deal type sites for $220.

I too would prefer a 7"er.. just because it fit into my hands better, and the viewing area of landscape mode is much the same..

I feel like if I bought a Nook i'm basically asking Barnes & Noble to brand me with their scarlett letter. Granted the Kindle is no better but an item such as the Nook is dependent upon the success of a brick & mortar store, is it not? Why take that risk? I'd go Kindle over Nook anyday.

I have had a Nook Color for a little over 5 months now. Rooted it basically a day after I got it. With Cyanogenmod and the possibility to oc with a few taps makes it a great deal at the ~185 I got mine for. Small and lightweight yet still able to read documents on it, read books, watch movies on the airplane/long car rides and it has a really good battery life too.

I agree with a previous poster -- go with the Kindle over the Nook right now because Amazon has more content and is a stronger company behind the product

Have had a nook tablet since release. Its a great device. Have had 3 different people return their Fire's after playing with the nook.

Had a Nook Color...decent specs but Flash was horrible, build quality was so-so, VERY restricted OS, puny mono speaker...meh...

Sooo...I returned it and got a (wait for it...) BlackBerry Playbook! Bought it for the exact same price as the Nook except mine has 64GB of storage, solid as a rock build, Flash video and performance to die for (does 1080p YouTube NO problem), stereo speakers are very impressive...the best I've heard on any tablet. OS is awesome...very unique and a smoother more intuitive style than Android or iOS. Now with OS 2.0 I can use Android apps (use it and the Kindle app very often!). Oh it has GPS too! Oh and one of the brightest screens I've seen...outdoor direct sunlight use is no problem. Did I mention the 5MP rear camera and the 3MP front camera? Shoots 1080p video. Any yes it has a 1GHz dual core processor and 1GB of RAM too. Do I need more features???

Not trying to crap in the thread but it ask "Nook tablet anyone?" and I did take the plunge...only to return it due to the negatives FAR outweighing the positives (uhhh...can't think of any actually once I got the Playbook, it's just so awesome and perfect!).

Just my 2 cents...I would say though you can definitely do better for the price!

Last edited:
I agree with a previous poster -- go with the Kindle over the Nook right now because Amazon has more content and is a stronger company behind the product
Get a Nook and root it. Download the Amazon Kindle app and read all the Amazon content you want.

Is there as much developer work with the tablet as with the color? The Color was so easy to do anything with because it would boot off of the SD card first and all you had to do was put CWM on that and you could flash anything.

Is there as much developer work with the tablet as with the color? The Color was so easy to do anything with because it would boot off of the SD card first and all you had to do was put CWM on that and you could flash anything.
Not yet as much developer work as with the Color. You can boot off the SD card and install stuff through Clockwork with no problems. I tried Cyanogen, but it's kinda buggy. Still, once its rooted the NT functions nicely as a general use tablet.

I almost picked one up, but the HTC Flyer was the same price ($199), so I got that instead. We'll see if the missing dual core makes that big of a difference in GB or HC so far. I don't think ICS is available for either yet in any stable form.

Don't get the tablet, either wait for the eee pad note or whatever its called which is gonna take the tablet world by storm if it comes out this year, or get a slickdeal for one of the 10' tablets going around (the thrive models without the 3g have been posted alot.)

I have a nook color I just sold, and a touchpad. I recommend anything with good specs, under 250 or 300 that is 10' and has a big community over on xda or rootz wiki.

Back