Nook Color Question

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
I'm looking at rooting my nook color, and throwing Android on it....big question though:

Can books be synced between the color and the new nook, specifically where it knows what page i left off on in the new nook(the mini e-ink on w/ android), so that i can pick up where I leave off on the color? It has the compatibility natively, i would try testing with the nook app on my HD2, however it appears to be incompatible with gingerbread or the specific rom i'm using....just want to make sure before i go and throw honey comb onto it that, that feature can be maintained.

I think it syncs if you bought the book from B&N, but don't quote me on it. Sideloaded books, obviously, does not sync.

I think it syncs if you bought the book from B&N, but don't quote me on it. Sideloaded books, obviously, does not sync.

k, ty......i think ive got it syncing library books (im not the main user need to check when the other nook makes it back)

restoring a nc running honeycomb is easy right?.....figure i can always give it a go and revert if it does not work

You should look on the XNA forums about setting up a Dual Boot, or having a rooted/non-stock OS on a fast SD Card.

Rooted, OC'd stock is probably the best for no-hassle usage.

You should look on the XNA forums about setting up a Dual Boot, or having a rooted/non-stock OS on a fast SD Card.

Rooted, OC'd stock is probably the best for no-hassle usage.

I am rooted with a stock on my nook..

But I run the Setcpu and 800 MHZ is as high as mine will show...

Any of the vendor reading products (Amazon, B&N and google books) will maintain your books and where you are in reading them across devices whether you are on a (rooted) nook, phone, etc. Nook works fine on gingerbread BTW, have it running meself on EVO and color nook.

The nook (using CM7 and a custom kernel) will overclock to 1.2GHz typically without any impact on battery life but obviously much better than stock performance.

ok, so using the Nook app with CM7 on the NC will sync books then (as it does now) right ?

nook app not working on my HD2 is probably somethign with my rom

ok, so using the Nook app with CM7 on the NC will sync books then (as it does now) right ?

nook app not working on my HD2 is probably somethign with my rom

I have one of these and I've set it up with CM7 Nightly with OC kernal on the eMMC (not using the SD boot method).

When you use the method that uses the ClockWork restore mod, it'll have a an opportunity for you to create a backup of the existing BN 1.2 OS. IF you do that, you can always restore at a later date. Skip that and you'll need to do a much more involved restore method (essentially installing the old 1.01 BN software and then upgrading from there).

I use the Nook for Android app and it syncs everything, except Nook Color "Enhanced" books, like the read to me childrens series. However, books, magazines and newspapers all sync just fine!

I also use Google Books for a lot of free epub format books.

Finally I use Amazon Kindle for Android as well. There's also a Kobo reader for Borders.

Yep, all the formats are covered.

I use the Nook for Android app and it syncs everything, except Nook Color "Enhanced" books, like the read to me childrens series. However, books, magazines and newspapers all sync just fine!
can these "Enhanced" books be bought on a non-nook tablet? I saw the read to me books on the nook color inside B&N the other day, and the kids freaking loved it.

However, I'm not sold on the Nook Color. I might go with a Tegra tablet. Can I get those books on a regular android tablet?

can these "Enhanced" books be bought on a non-nook tablet? I saw the read to me books on the nook color inside B&N the other day, and the kids freaking loved it.

However, I'm not sold on the Nook Color. I might go with a Tegra tablet. Can I get those books on a regular android tablet?

Unfortuantely, not at this time, if ever.

I suspect that B&N want to have some exclusive content that is only availble for the native Nook Color app, not "Nook for Android" app. Otherwise, why make the Nook Color when you could just promote someone else's Android tablet in your store, like the Asus tab? I suspect that after sufficient time to feel they'd enjoyed enough exclusivity when the sale rates of the Nook Color decline enough. Then the content will still be the money making draw and opening up the enhanced content to their "Nook for Android" and "Nook for iOS" will make sense.

However, the ability to use CyanogenMod 7 on microSD and keep the stock Nook Color configuration (just boot without the SD installed) still gives you the ability to open those "enhanced Nook color content".

It's pretty interesting at work. I'm surrounded by a number of iPad and iPad 2 users. For the most part they start to mock until they actually handle and view the tab. First off is that being a smaller form factor yields the comments "hey, this would fit in my inside coat pocket or in my hand bag". The other is the comparison of the resolution and screen clarity. Outside the standard applications (facebook, twitter, pulse, etc..) the realization that the Citrix Receiver and other cloud business apps work just as well from the Nook Color on CM7, several others that had not yet purchased an iPad have started showing up with their Nook Color's :) Evernote and other great applications work equally well on the Android platform, I even found a great mind mapping application to use while brainstorming.

Granted, there is a large lead of quality apps on the iOS platform, but it's exciting to see the rapid pace of development on Android. Since I also have an iPhone 4, I would like to see both platforms succeed.

What is worrying me lately is all these patent lawsuits coming out of the wood work and hammering the little guys (the hardware makers that use Android and not necessarily agains Google themselves). Many have settled and are paying licensing fees. It's speculated that it's about $5 per device and a couple reports indicate that it's likely a much larger revenue maker for M$ than the entirity of Windows Mobile all together.

Also Google's fumble on getting the Nokia patents doesn't bode well for additional hammering from the likes of Apple and M$.

Last edited:
haha.

interesting info.

thanks for confirming my suspicions about the "enhanced" books. Maybe I'll restrict my investments in kids books to the apps that are in the Market. I bought a Little Critter book app, and those are working out well so far, and I see some Dr. Seuss books on there too. I might give one of those a try.

Is there a link around to a good guide to installing to microsd?

I am going to buy the NC for my wife and want to use the cm7 mod on sd disc but I am hesitant.
Would it void the warranty if I do this mod? I read a thread where you can just pop out the sd and reboot to B/N operating system. Is this the safest method to get this to be a full blown Android tab? Also, please refer to a link I can learn how to do this! A friend of mine is buying it for me at Walmart because he gets an employee discount $249 - %10. Thanks in advance

Is there a link around to a good guide to installing to microsd?
Just check the first page of the nook color development thread over on xda forums.

There's a ton of info over there, dual booting, booting from sd, images for both bone stock 1 as well as 1.2. all kinds of goodies that would answer every question/concern raised in this thread.

(googling "xda nook color sdcard install" should suffice)

i musta missed the SD card method on XDA when I did a quick check. thanks for the heads up

I was pounding out my dissertation fellowship application that was due today at 5pm pst so I'm done with that and can answer any questions in more detail.

basically the conclusion I reached is that my NC is roughly half the size of my old ipad (I didn't have the chance to compare them side to side). It has less overall pixels but the smaller screen results in higher pixels per inch. I belief that's the reason the screen looks better to me.

Back